Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How Often Do You Detangle with a Comb/Brush?

I was recently watching one of my favorite videos on YouTube and realized that she doesn't detangle her hair every time she washes. She does it every 2-3 weeks and feels like that's what keeps her curls in tact. Instead she "finger combs." Does anyone else not detangle with a comb/brush often? When I first went natural I didn't use a comb to detangle because my hair was so short and my curls popped. But now that it's longer I feel I have to detangle every week to get rid of shed hairs. What do you guys think? Check out the (warning it's kinda long) and tell me what you think?
    life has no limitations, except the ones you make!
    Follow me on Twitter/Instagram: @tough_as_nads
    http://www.youtube.com/NadiaExamaMwamuye
    http://www.nemfitness.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her hair is awesome but scary at the same time because I know if I had her hair type it would be breakage galore. She reminds me of Janet Jackson alot too.

My hair is continuously in PS so I wear a style for a few months individually taking down twists or braids to redo them between then finger combing each section. After that I'll wear an out style for a day or two and then on wash day I fully detangle with a comb. After I stretch my hair it's back in a protective style and I don't comb until a few months like before. I just started doing this recently though.

Before I detangled with a comb every week and I got more breakage, splits, and knots that way even I did my hair in sections. So I'm trying this technique out and see how it fairs.

I feel if you detangle your hair in small enough sections via your fingers you'll probably get more shed hair out than if you do it in larger sections or loose. But what works for me may not for you. Your avatar pic is smashing though. My fro just flops over now...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I detangle my hair in the shower, with my hair loaded with my Deep Conditioner and warm water with a shower comb in six sections.

I do this every time I wash and I wash/co-wash every 1 to 2 weeks.
    http://public.fotki.com/ShiraLaCocolita/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I detangle twice a week with my Goody's Jojoba brush when I cowash my hair. Some naturals lose too much hair if they detangle too often, but if I want to keep the single-strand knots at bay, I need to do a good detangling weekly. It takes me about 5 mins. to detangle my entire head and I'm almost BSL. It's also a two for one deal because I don't rinse out the conditioner when I detangle. I use what remains in my hair as a leave-in.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I detangle once a week with a comb.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her hair is gorgeous! I detangle with a wide tooth comb or denman brush whenever I do my hair, once a week, twice a week, whenever I do it..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    last fire cream: May 2009 BC: June 2009
    http://public.fotki.com/msantos99/

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." Mother Teresa

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just detaingle my hair in the shower while the water runs through it and I have a wide tooth comb. I usually do it every week more or less and I have minimal breakage. When I first started my natural journey in 2002 I use to finger comb, but when I wanted to blow dry it our for length I discovered I had mini dred locks growing! So I will just use my wide tooth comb for now because finger combing doesnt work for me

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I detangle in the shower with my fingers. I only use a shower comb when it's ridiculously tangled and then I only use that with LOADS of conditioner.

Recently, my hair has been pretty much tangle free. I just stopped wearing microtwists about a week ago so that may play a part in the tangle free zone...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I feel the need to refresh my twists or braids, I will take them down one-by-one and finger detangle. Then I'll run my fingers down the length of the loose braid and twist to try and dislodge any shed hair. Then I'll remoisturize and twist back up.

Ocassionally, like I did last night I'll bring out the big gun, my denman (which I think is evil) and brush my hair thoroughly, methodically and carefully to get the shed hair out.

If I had to guess how often I do that, I'd say three...maybe four times a year.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried exclusively fingercombing but that was tangle city for me . I also tried only shower combing which resulted in less tangles...but still too many for my liking.

Once a week on wash day I section my hair, apply conditioner, fingercomb and detangle with a wide tooth comb followed by a modified Denman brush. This is my HG detangling routine. In combination with stretching my hair and protective styling I have way less tangles and knots in my hair.
    Last edited by Fronomenal; 07-29-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Big Chop: December 15, 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast