Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Natural Hair Nazis????

Ok, so I was watching one of my favorite youtubers who is re.laxed and she was talking about how she's uses re.laxers b/c she loves silky hair and she's tenderheaded and nappy hair hurts dadadadada...and someone made the comment about how they, "can't stand the natural hair nazis." I was kinda pissed...yes there are some people who are adamant about wearing natural hair...BUT the hard attitude usually comes b/c re.laxed folks like to ask us questions like, "ewww, you like your hair like that?" and say things like, "I can't stand no nappy head." What do people expect our responses to be. I told my mom that I will be wearing natural hair for my wedding and she is trying to insist thar I str8ten it...uh no! So of course I will be a lil bit on the defensive.

My comment on the vid said that although I looove natural hair, her hair looks well taken care of. I also told her that she made it seem like just b/c your hair is nappy, then it will hurt to style it, but my hair hurt much more to style when it was re.laxed than it ever has while natural. This is basically a rant...but what do my people in nappy land think? Are we the natural hair nazis or are they insecure about re.laxing their hair?
    Formerly G-G_PhillyGirl

My hair...It's been loose, it's been loced, it's been loved!
    www.youtube.com/genuinelygigi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what you said... We receive so much resistance and flack for wearing our hair naturally... What else are we supposed to do but defend ourselves?? *Kanye shrug* I know I'm a nappy nazi, but I love that about me... No, I'm not running up to people with r.elaxers and telling them to go natural; I just wear my hair and people approach me about it... When I tell them I never use heat and I don't advocate the use of any kind of heat or chemical they look at me with the screw face like, "Well, how else are you gonna deal with it if you don't i.ron/b.lowdry/p.erm it??" Oh well... Call me a nappy nazi all day... I'll be that...
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry GenuinelyGiGi, there are some natural hair nazi's out there. Just like there are some killmewiththerelaxer hair nazis. I don't think the majority of us here on NP are natural hair nazi's though. We have consciously made a decision to keep our hair the way God made it, make no apologies for it, and espouse it's beauty and versatility every day that we can. But yeah...there are some naturals that seem to take it to the nth degree and seem like they'd like to, well, nazi out the relaxers.

You know what....maybe the bolded is NOT a bad thing! (in fact I'm pretty darn sure it's not a bad thing)
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iluvkanye View Post
    Oh well... Call me a nappy nazi all day... I'll be that...
    Ya damn skippy

I think that "nappy" has gotten a bad name because of fear, it's just human (dumb) nature to fear what we don't understand. I'll admit that I've been too chicken to try a lot of nappy styles because "it'll take too long" or "I don't know how to do it/I've never done it before" - yup, I'm woman enough to be honest! I MADE myself do some twists a few weeks ago and now I'm like - DUDE, YOU WAITED ALL THIS TIME FOR THAT???

Iluvkanye - I watched your "Tuck and Roll" tutorial last night; you and your hubby are too cute!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GenuinelyGiGi View Post
    ... This is basically a rant...but what do my people in nappy land think? Are we the natural hair nazis or are they insecure about re.laxing their hair?
    Frankly there's loonies on both ends and it seems many have no business of their own but worrying about someones hair. I was totally clueless until recently.... It's annoying because we have more important issues to resolve than hair politics. I'm all for choice... Respect people's choices as long as it doesn't infringe on your well-being.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm a Nappy Nazi. I don't look down on anyone who does perm their hare but there's no benefits from it, at all. I'm also tenderheaded and perms made it worse, it left sores all over my head.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a nazi. I will not put you in a concentration camp if you don't like my views. I will defend my right to wear my hair the way it is and won't take negative nonsense about my choice. I respect your decision to be permed. Maybe I am a nappy militant.

I don't run up to permies and say why you putting on that chemical in your hair. YOu smell like LYE, you know thats not the texture that grows out of your head whats wrong with you etc etc. Wonder why they feel the need to come at us like that.
    http://public.fotki.com/Bklyn78/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ImaniMama View Post
    Ya damn skippy

Iluvkanye - I watched your "Tuck and Roll" tutorial last night; you and your hubby are too cute!
    Awwww!!! Thanks!!! We try... lol!!
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iluvkanye View Post
    ... What else are we supposed to do but defend ourselves?? ..... When I tell them I never use heat and I don't advocate the use of any kind of heat or chemical they look at me with the screw face like, "Well, how else are you gonna deal with it if you don't i.ron/b.lowdry/p.erm it??" Oh well... Call me a nappy nazi all day... I'll be that...
    Yeah, but that's an opportunity to educate though. I truly believe lots of women want to know how to manage natural hair, but afraid: to ask, commit, self-worth, rejection, etc. We can't internalize the comments of the misguided because really it's a reflection of themselves. Has no bearing on me. Example: a recent post where a relaxee stated she hates nappy heads. That's her personal problem, this nappy is fine. She'll hide at the thought of revealing herself, we can educate to hold your head high.... by example, positive dialogue. I don't recall blackmen angst with each other by hair choices. Nor other ethnicities perplexed why the few didn't go blonde. Unless i'm missing something, we (black women) got issues.... and I have a funky feeling if it's not this, it's something else... but that's another topic. In the meantime, i'm just weathering the storm, till others catch on. /* stepping down from the podium */ tehe.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passion and politics are a terrible combination within any society I've seen. No matter what the "difference" is, we (as humans) haven't learned how to teach and/or present the substance behind any given stance. Particularly, people tend to offer their posture and/or stance void of the tedious process of discussing, teaching, etc. Enlightenment isn't breeding further enlightenment. We have views and positions organized into huddled and overzealous (because they don't know how to communicate anything more than their conclusions) factions.

Whatever that corrupted aggression and superficial assertiveness is called, it is a vain and divisive force. Again, it's nothing new nor exclusive to the sociopolitical matters herein. Even this "issue" and thread will: 1) degenerate into self-righteous song and dance or superficial disagreeable retorts 2) die a death of ignorant silence 3) get shut down to avoid lemmings killing themselves.

And, it goes on and on, my friend.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast