Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Family Reunion: Who's been to one?

I don't mean the usual get-togethers people have when they see the relatives they already know, I mean the ones where they meet relatives they've never met, or don't know all that well, and might even travel to see. I plan to go to one this August with my dad. It'll be in Tennessee, near Mississippi (or is it, in Mississippi and near Tennessee?).

Dad says we'll leave on the 5th, and leave for home on the 8th. He plans to buy plane tickets so we can just fly and get there in a much shorter time than driving. The last time I attended a real family reunion was years ago, when I was around 10. I don't remember much about that one, except there was a big fake cake covered in real frosting, and it had the family names on it and a picture of an old couple (my ancestors, I think).

I'm excited, since I'll get to learn more about my family and know who more of my people are (at least on my dad's side). I plan to take along my digital camera and video recorder, and my phone (so I can call my aunt and check on my dog, since she'll be staying with my aunt while I'm gone). Dad says the last time I met them was when I was 4, but I don't remember, so it'll be new to me. But I'm also nervous. I don't know what to expect. Part of me thinks I'll go and have a great time, and another part of me thinks I'll go and end up miserable while I'm there.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad's family has one every year in August, and the women and girls have an annual tea party in May. I wish the tea parties had started when I was younger because I needed to connect with my dad's sisters. They were strong women.
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Mom's side never had any.

I went to a few on my Dad's side. They were fun when I was young and then I went to two as an adult and vowed to never go to another.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been to various reunions for three parts of my kin, through the years. I don't mingle very well nor cultivate much camaraderie therein, but it is a pleasure to indulge. I encourage anyone with family to try their best to enjoy such events. Networking is something I wish I could do with them, but my family is still trying to escape the abyss. We keep things simple and with thanks for the lives we still have to lead.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both sides have annual reunions. However my dad never attended... I see why . Occasionally i'll attend the maternal... if the weather isn't scorching. My family is huge, so just a visit is like a reunion.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father's family has them on average every 2 years. We have one this summer. It's going to be really nice. My father is one of the hosts and they are going all out for it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mother's family has one every summer. Usually in the town she grew up in. This year we're going on a cruise. Should be fun.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attend two family reunions every year. My mother's family reunion is at the end of June. Normally held either in MD or DE. And my father's family reunion is the 1st weekend in August. It is held in different states; depending on who is hosting the event.
    If I say napptural and you say natural, we're talking about the same thing-differently. But if I say natural and you say re.laxer, then one of us is f*ckin wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a time where we had one each year but the big one on my dad's side anyway is every two years. We have a set sched so to speak. The city changes every two years for example in 2000 it may have been dc and in 2002 it then would have gone to Ohio, like that. Ours isnt the hey lets meet in so and so back yard. The host city is pass the torch at banquet of the prev reunion. They then plan the next reunion. Info is sent out months in advance and money is due at set times. The info ususally contains the cost of the hotel rooms, picnic or outing info,t shirt cost and banquet info.
    The reunion is always in the summer usually in July and is always fri-sunday with a church service usually that sunday.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been to all of my family reunions on both sides. I feel like an outcast on both sides of the family, even after the fact that both my father and mother are the popular ones at their family reunions.

We had one last year in Orlando. There's going to be another one in Kansas this year; I probably won't be going this time around. I've been to every single one previously. I saw relatives I know, have seen at previous family reunions and still don't know, and often run into relatives I've never seen before and will probably never get to know.

I only had someone reach out to me one time, and she wasn't even a family member. She was my cousin's girlfriend. She was nice.

I know, it's sad. I'm a very quiet, lonely person. No point in forcing myself to fit in; I always ended up feeling stupid and or bad whenever I did anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast