Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agoddessinlocs View Post
    ...Informative but I broke it into sections because my eyes were, literally, crossing trying to read that massive text block. Apologies in advance if I overstepped but it was only done in the hopes that those behind me would have an easier time reading and processing the information.
    Thanks, cuz I appreciated it. OP: Great post and insight!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Agoddess - No offense taken. Thanks for helping as I just want people to be informed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Kinks View Post
    @Agoddess - No offense taken. Thanks for helping as I just want people to be informed.
    I'm glad! And me too!
    ~MY FOTKI LOCUMENTARY~~MY YOUTUBE~

Life can be short & Life can be unfair but life can also be beautiful and full of pleasant surprises. Surround yourself with positivity, why waste our numbered days with anything else?

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sistah...I'm telling you...NP is awesome! I was a newbie once and I tell ya...I really believe because of you sistahs (and brothas) my locz are healthy. Two years in and I am so proud of my babies. What would I do with out valuable information such as this. Thank you for sharing.

ETA: I hope the new lockers read this and read this again. I've noticed a lot of new lockers want to put all kinds of things on their babies, and then say "I have been using it for months and haven't noticed build up." Like you said, sometimes it takes years before noticing build up.
    Last edited by HimmysLocz; 03-27-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Natural Kinks, so far I've no detectable problems and have been careful to ensure against buildup. While it seems to be, 'so far so good' at 4 years (almost) I need reminders not to get complacent. I now realise that I'm not as regular with my ACV as I was for the first 3 years. Your post has just had me check if the new (and first) moisturising shampoo I've bought is clear. (it is!) you had me checking everything as I've recently changed my hair care.

Clarifying shampoo (clear) - check
    Moisturising Shampoo (clear) - check
    Hair moisturisers:
    Olive oil (clear) - check
    Coconut oil (clear) - check
    Aloe vera (clear) - check
    Hair drying in expected time frame - check
    No weird smells post washing - check

*thumbs up*

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never clarified, but I only use shampoo and clear products, and I use products minimally.

Perhaps I will do an ACV rinse tomorrow...
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@A Goddess - Don't ask me why it didn't click until now to copy your adjusted post and repost it lol.

@HimmysLocz - Exactly! I was trying to make my point tastefully. I think that I'm a good example since I don't use heavy product and wash frequently so I really wanted to draw from my experience.

@debe - Yup I think that it's easier for it to happen when you've been locked for a while. That's pretty much what I did with starting to use the non-translucent shampoos. I think that there are exceptions but they are RARE and that people fall into the trap of thinking that they are build up free if they don't "see" or smell any physical evidence. What is the name of the shampoo that you found that's clear and moisturizing? I'd just given up on this!

@LilShortRib - YES I'm sure that you won't regret it! At this point an acv rinse may not cut it since you've never done it or for anyone where it's been a while. You could do an acv rinse but the water may STILL be clear once you squeeze leading you to believe that you are buildup free (this is what happened to me - I was still clarifying with the acv rinses but now I realize that that wasn't removing the buildup/residue effectively). Once buildup gets in and settles, then a good shampoo that really penetrates to the core is needed to draw it out and so is the hot water rinsing to further break anything down and really deep cleans.

I'd try the Paul Mitchell Three, sitting for at least a half hour, then with hot water as hot as you can stand squeeze only a few locs at a time (one by one is even better if you are patient enough). Use a white paper cup to catch some of the water so you can undoubtedly see and ensure that the water is clear. Then end your clarifying treatment with the acv rinse. When I did this I got COMPLETELY different results and about flipped out. I think that acv is generally effective at keeping buildup at bay but to REALLY remove it once it's imbedded in locs, I don't think that it even comes close to touching what a good clarifying shampoo does.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shampoo, is Tressemme Vitamin E, Moisture Rich for dry or damaged hair. I've no chemical damage, but I used no oils or moisurising for over 3yrs...

I'm in the UK, so I don't know if they have the same one in the States. The clarifying shampoo is also Tressemme. I'm planning to use it once a month. I've only been using the moisturising shampoo for a week or two, so its a little early to tell how much difference it makes just yet. So far it seems to do the job.

Catching the water is one of the tricks I use also. I shampoo using a shower hose. When I think my hair is clean, I rinse, I letting the water run into a large bowl (the size of a washing up bowl. when the bowl is full I check that the sudsy water is completely white. I do the same again when I feel I've rinsed completely. I continue to rinse letting the bowl catch the water. when a full bowl of water is clear, I assume the rinse is as complete as its going to get.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a stupid question: what does NPand ACV stand for?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast