Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: An experience that needed to be shared

@KnottyAuthor - Yes, they do take a while to dry. I usually try to air dry them were possible but I sometimes have to use a hand held hair drier to help them along.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes locks that take more than a day to dry may have mildew in them-hopefully you dont have that wet towel smell. If so, the mildew can 'mask' itself as lent. Once you unravel you will see small puffs of 'dew' sticking to individual hair strands that have multiplied into a colony, appearing as lent.
    Test:Take down 1 lock

Lent:
    Drops out as whole clump
    hair will dry within 3-6 hours without heat

mildew:
    hair takes longer than a day to dry without heat
    sticks to hair, does not 'fall' out
    looks like puffs of cotton candy but greyish, white
    Seems sticky and hard to roll off the hair
    Can be seen on individual hair strands 'sticking'

This thread has some suggested solutions for both. best of luck to you!

3. Thanks lillocs, lafoule thanked for this post
    Likes lillocs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope someone can help me.

I think I have a similar problem as the OP in the that i *think* i have mildew in my locs. They aren't that big and I can't see anything in them but the smell is bothering me. I noticed it a couple of months ago and spritzed it with Listerine and water, left for about 30 mins then washed a few times. The last few times i've soaked my hair in a bowl of it but a few days to a week later the smell comes back. It's like a musty sort of smell and is really getting me down with my locs. My partner says he can't smell it but i think he's just being polite tbh.

I wash about every 2 weeks, don't use any product , i just put oil after a wash then retwist. The smell also reminds me of oil that's be left in a cupboard for a long time, so i wonder if it could be something to do with the grapeseed oil i've been using ?

In case it's useful to to know i've been using this shampoo: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...ampoo-60086375

If you click on additional info you can see what's in it. It does have sodium lauroyl sarcosinate but before this i'd tried several shampoos but they all played havoc with my so when i tried this and it worked i stuck with it.

Do i just need to continue with the Listerine ? Or is there anything else i can do ? Although it takes a long time to wash it's so much easier to handle locked than loose so i really don't want to have to take them out.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try other solutions I recommended earlier in thread... Alcohol...hot bath....works for some. Personally, I had to take mine down. For myself, i chose good hygiene over vanity. It was hard bc I parted with 7 yrs of locks. I retained 12-18 inches of hair. it was cool, just a pain to take down (4mos).

Lessons learned:

-mildew never really goes away, it just goes dormant (as you noticed)

-use a blow drier or hooded to get that initial dampen out your locs in the winter. Yeh, heat, I said it. With locs it's a must. There's a very short window that locs tolerate dampness before something lands in the matrix, mixes with that dampness, and multiplies. I'm all about that blow dry life now, for 5-10 with a diffuser this time. It makes a difference. Damp locs for an extended period of time is bad news.

-minimal product use is wise

best of luck! Let us know what you decide!?
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 01-30-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011