Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Interview Hair

My BFF and I had a discussion/disagreement on interview hair. She thinks that I've had a hard time getting a job because my hair was in an afro (althought it's pulled back from my face, it's too much hair to put into a puff) or a twist-out. I don't think it's been a problem because I've had my hair in fat two-strand twists working at a southern conservative bank and HR was stalking me for that particular position.

My BFF said that in order to get your foot in the door, you have be "mainstream" i.e. wear a suit and straighten your hair. I completely disagree with this. She compared my hair to being "alternative." Then she said, "If guys can't wear braids to job interviews, women can't wear afros and expect to get the job." I said that very few employers allow men to have long hair. That's different. I'm a female and allowed to have long hair. Long hair for me is up and out, not up and down. She said that I'm going by principle, not by other people's perceptions. I really don't want to work for a place who gives 2 craps about my hair as long as it's neat and clean. I personally think my hair is conservative.

I really think it's the economy. I'm a new graduate nurse and only half of my class got full-time positions. I had one RN interview even though I was already employed with the healthcare system. They ended up hiring people who worked as bartenders and baby sitters throughout nursing school. Oh well. - Thanks for the rant.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's bull.. i primarily did high puffs when i was interviewing but i think i wore a chucky fro to the first interview for thejob i have now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do a twistout pulled back into a puff. Haven't not gotten a job yet. Good luck on your job search though.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an interview, your hair, clothes, jewelry should be tasteful and conservative. As long as your hair is not distracting or a focal point (your skills should be), you should be fine.

good luck on the job search!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to straighten your hair. I wear either pinned up twists or a puff to job interviews and it's never been a problem. A BAA might not be the best choice, but almost any style that is neat and as monica said, not distracting, should be fine. Just being real, I do restrain my hair so that it doesn't look "wild" for an interview (although I don't have a problem with wild in other contexts). Are you sure you have too much hair for a puff? I mean I've seen folks with huge BAAs who could make a puff...it might be a matter of technique.
    Challenge Yourself.
    My Fotki: Becoming Natural Password: AuNaturel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I've tried to make a puff, but it's almost painful trying to get all this hair tied back. Usually, I try to wear a twist-out. It takes me 2-3 hours to detangle and twist my hair. I have A LOT of hair. It's very thick and and past shoulder length when stretched.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest small - medium twists. Pin up the back and rod the front.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, your friend is talking about her perception and not that of the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNappyGirl View Post
    You don't have to straighten your hair. I wear either pinned up twists or a puff to job interviews and it's never been a problem. A BAA might not be the best choice, but almost any style that is neat and as monica said, not distracting, should be fine. Just being real, I do restrain my hair so that it doesn't look "wild" for an interview (although I don't have a problem with wild in other contexts). Are you sure you have too much hair for a puff? I mean I've seen folks with huge BAAs who could make a puff...it might be a matter of technique.
    ITA. I've worn box braids and twists to interviews and haven't had a problem. I don't think people care as long as your hair isn't distracting (really big, dirty, random colors, etc). I personally try and go for simple styles because I need something I can pin to keep hair out of my face and since the weather can be a surprise I don't need a braid/twist out going to a BAA during the course of a day, LOL.
    Last edited by bhop13; 04-15-2010 at 02:26 PM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please respond! I have an interview tomorrow and do not have a suit to wear! However, I do have black slacks, white blouse and black shoes is it ok. I am alsowearing my hair in two twist and down because my hair is not long enough for a pull back. Please help! Thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinn, do you have jacket or blazer to pull your look together? I think your hair will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast