Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you keep hair from locking?

My daughter wears 2 strand twist extensions. They're pencil sized and it takes me about 6-7 hours to do her head. For that reason, she wears them for a month. I notice that when she takes them down, she has areas where the hair has started to loc. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't leave them in for as long as you have been. For her hair a month is too long. If you want leave the style in for a month, then take some of the twists down and redo them.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mymy View Post
    Don't leave them in for as long as you have been. For her hair a month is too long. If you want leave the style in for a month, then take some of the twists down and redo them.
    And there you have it. Two-strand twists aren't only a protective style. They're also a means of starting locs. People talk about doing protective styles for several weeks or months. I don't know how they do it. The only way I've gone beyond two weeks with twists in my hair was when I was trying to loc.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on the hair--braids (3 strands) can go longer than twists as a protective style without having the matting. For my daughters the combination of leaving the twists in for a long time and wetting the twists results in serious matting. Also allowing the hair to get too dry and the constant friction of the ends against their clothes.

I often say I only leave twists as long as the matting will allow--otherwise I think twists stand up to aging like no other.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also--shedding is an issue. The more the hair sheds the worse the matting issues. For me post partum shedding has forced me to restyle my hair long before the appearance of the style demands it.

Another thing I've noticed is that the product I use to twist with can help minimize the matting too. I've had much more success twisting with shea butter than loc and twist gel--for example. I like the appearance of the final result with the loc and twist gel better BUT the tangles were horrendous. Not downing the product but I had to stop using it on our heads.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

napsnap is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to wear twist extensions for a month at a time as well and my hair would lock around my edges and back ("kitchen"). I knew this was something I just had to deal with and when it came time for me to take the braids down, I would just put tons of conditioner/water in the area, let it sit for several minutes, run my fingers down the hair and then slightly begin to separate being very careful not to rip the hairs. Yes, it's time consuming, but it worked. Also, since your daughter is wearing her twists for a month at a time, why not make the braids a little larger? Saves you some time and your daughter's hair - less shedding/breakage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are there certain areas of her hair that loc faster? if so then you might want to redo those areas once a week or once every other week

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also be concerned about the breakage. For years I wore twists and would wash them first and then take them down - waiting between 2 weeks to a month to do this. I no know that was way too rough a form of manipulation for my hair as I would force my way through those twists and break apart what was essentially becoming starter locs. And I did this regularly too.

Now I keep my twists big and loose so I don't have to break through them anymore. Already my hair has responded to this with added length and easy handling. If you're breaking up locs regularly, its a lot of stress on the hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wetting and conditioning the often can probably help.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JanuaryJoy08 stole my thunder. Also using very little product /and/or a clarifying shampoo will keep build up down to a minimum, build-up can cause matting/locking also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast