Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No Curl Pattern ???

Got my hair done today. Just a rod set. Looks very cute. The question is though, my stylist who is natural herself, states that my hair is fine and I don't have a curl pattern after transitioning for 6 months now and 3 inches of new growth. Does that mean I will have issues with twisting my hair and that no products will help me get curl definition? I have been so eager to do 2 strand twists. Any thoughts?--More info: I have not used any heat on my hair since transitioning, just hooded dryer for conditioning.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people have curls that can be defined and some don't. In either case, you can still do 2 strand twists.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your hair is nappy, you can twist it. You don't need curls or coils to braid or twist it. There are a lot of women on here without any kind of distinguishable curl pattern and they twist it

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As chacha said, not everyone has a defined curl pattern but regardless of that, any texture of hair can be twisted. However, it's still early in your transition process. As your re.laxed hair grows out and your natural hair grows in, a curl pattern may arise. Just be patient and know that curl pattern or not, your hair is beautiful.
    etsy.com/shop/bigGirlbigHair (my etsy shop)
    Public.fotki.com/0nmyjourney(updated 1/17/11)
    bigGirlbigHair.blogspot.com (updated 1/23/11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies. You have calmed the fears.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curls are made by two kinds of chemical bonds that cause the hair to bend: disulfide and hydrogen bonds. You're either born with plentiful disulfide bonds (i.e. naturally curly hair) or you're not, and the only way to change that is with expensive chemical treatment (a perm).

Find out various ways to do this, depending on the type of curl you're going for, how easily your hair curls, and the amount of effort you're willing to put in.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not everyone is going to have very defined curls. Some naturals do, some have rarely none at all. It's possible that when you're 100% natural, your curls will appear to be more defined.

But having undefined curls won't cause problems for twisting. I have curls that are not really defined and I can easily twist my hair without any issues.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand...so if you don't have a curl pattern, why is your hair kinky or in the curly category? Isn't kinky hair just the "curliest a strand of hair can get"? When people where afros (naturally), only really curly hair can do that. I'm just trying to understand the statement.

Sianna is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbread View Post
    I don't understand...so if you don't have a curl pattern, why is your hair kinky or in the curly category? Isn't kinky hair just the "curliest a strand of hair can get"? When people where afros (naturally), only really curly hair can do that. I'm just trying to understand the statement.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original poster was not saying that her hair wasn't "afro textured" just that her curls were not well defined. Some naturals have hair that will clump together to show a distinctive curl pattern. Others on the other hand have hair that, if you look at the individual strands, it will still look curly, but the hairs don't clump together to show a distinctive curl pattern and the hair is more frizzy.

Hope that makes sense.

Bunicornaces Guest

I sort of agree with sianna; when my hair i wet you can distinctly see coils, like spirals; when it dries up the coils are not as visible. I don't care too much because I just want an incredibly baa(afterwards I can do whatever to my hair). So many naturals are obssessed with curls in their hair, it's unbelievable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast