Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Natural Hairstyles appropriate for older women

I'm searching for a hairstyle I can wear (and air dry) that's appropriate for me as a more mature woman. I have long hair, past bra strap. I tried a banded ponytail yesterday and I really like the results of air drying nicely and being able to wear it for days without having to comb it or anything, but it doesn't suit my age. Maybe I should take the ponytail down after it dries and make a bun out of it. Do you have suggestions? I'm thinking I may need to stick with a roller set...but that will take FOREVER to air dry.

http://public.fotki.com/JazzyPam/my-transition/
    pw: blessed

nita4 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nappy Mia, has some wonderful hairstyles that I think would look great on long hair. Otherwise, I think that hairstyles depend on your attitude, your style, and whether you can rock it or not. I am sure your banded ponytail is appropriate at certain times and a bun at others. When I was younger I wore a french roll all the time, I loved that hairstyle. However, I can only wear it on certain occasions now because it ages me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nita4 View Post
    Nappy Mia, has some wonderful hairstyles that I think would look great on long hair. Otherwise, I think that hairstyles depend on your attitude, your style, and whether you can rock it or not. I am sure your banded ponytail is appropriate at certain times and a bun at others. When I was younger I wore a french roll all the time, I loved that hairstyle. However, I can only wear it on certain occasions now because it ages me.
    From what little that I could see of your face, I can tell that you look good for your age, and your hair is beautiful!!!

I totally agree with the bolded part. So many people believe that after you get a certain age, that you should wear your hair short. Thats crazy if that is not what you want to do with your hair. That "attitude thing" is what makes a big difference in how you look. I have always "felt" younger than my physical age and intend to do so. I've seen women much younger, slimmer, and better toned in some places than myself, but they carry themselves like they have already live to be 100, which makes them older than they really are.

Of course you should not fool yourself, but if you feel that you can rock a particular hairstyle regardless of your age then do it with confidence.
    Last edited by Veviticus; 05-20-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you could be 103 years old and a banded pony tail would still be appropriate, as long as you wear it like it is.

Co-sign Vev and Nita.

Other than that, I'm thinking braids would probably take a long time to dry (?? not sure), but if not a couple braids wound around your crown would look good.

I'm not much of a styler so don't have a lot of ideas to offer you, but YT is great for show and tells.

Good luck.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no age appriopriate style (who decides these things?) only attitude appropriate style! lol
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have locs and sometimes I feel I would look more appropriate with it up or back depending on my outfit, I think. I usually wear it back b/c I don't want it in my face at work. I get so many compliments with it up by young and old folks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    There is no age appriopriate style (who decides these things?) only attitude appropriate style! lol

I totally agree! Older women are wearing their hair longer than past years and past perceptions of how mature women should look. I will be 40 next month and I work with extremely fashionably-aware 40 to 50 year old women. They don't dress like they are 20 or a hooker but don't wear elastic waist pants and polyester! Wouldn't be caught DEAD in it. Their hair is longer and they are stylish! You can wear your hair long and be a sexy long haired mature woman!
    Last edited by sonance; 08-11-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typos
    http://www.seriouslynatural.org/