Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Henna hair color

Any one ever use it to color their locs? if so, did u get good results? I see LUSH has a henna hair dye and want to try it i tried red henna from whole foods before but it didn't do anything... Maybe i should go to an indian store?
    TRUST steadily in God, HOPE unswervingly, LOVE extravagantly
    http://public.fotki.com/saintloui/

nita4 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never used on locs, but when I used on my relaxed hair, it worked well. I ordered body art quality henna for african hair from Mehandi.com. I think I still have some in the freezer. Anyway, I would cover my head and leave on over night, it worked well. The body art quality type doesn't leave a lot of stuff in your hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the Mehandi bundles as well and will never use anything else...The sift is so fine and the results are beautiful!

mzbmore is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used the ones that you buy at the Indian store and the caca noir from Lush and have been pleased with the results from both. The Lush was easy to rinse from locs - very smooth. And I usually sift my store bought henna again anyway - I think that is body quality henna as well - to make it easy to rinse.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Henna can leave residue deposits on the hair which leads to thinning down the road. Its difficult to tell which ones, so if you use, make sure to use a high quality one. Also, if you Henna in your first yr of locking, it can set you back. The curl pattern may loosen which results in slippage, bunching. So color after locks have settled or before locking.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I was wondering how effective henna is on covering grays. I have a fair amount of grays and, becuase I am allergic to colours that contain ammonia and hydrogen peroxide it means that I only use rinses. I am looking for a more natural way to colour hence the reason I'm asking. Can give me the names of some high quality henna? As I live in the Caribbean it may be a bit more difficult to source but at least if I have the names, that's a start. Thanks folks!

nita4 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trini Sista View Post
    Hi, I was wondering how effective henna is on covering grays. I have a fair amount of grays and, becuase I am allergic to colours that contain ammonia and hydrogen peroxide it means that I only use rinses. I am looking for a more natural way to colour hence the reason I'm asking. Can give me the names of some high quality henna? As I live in the Caribbean it may be a bit more difficult to source but at least if I have the names, that's a start. Thanks folks!
    Henna was excellent at covering my gray, it's just the process that takes so long. I normally did an overnight with the henna (slept in it), rinsed in the morning, and then applied indigo to get a rich brown color. However, for the past year I have been using a hair color called KISS, it has no ammonia or peroxide. It's a powder, which I love because I only color my hair line now. I get four uses out of one bottle at a cost of $4.99.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
    Some Henna can leave residue deposits on the hair which leads to thinning down the road. Its difficult to tell which ones, so if you use, make sure to use a high quality one. Also, if you Henna in your first yr of locking, it can set you back. The curl pattern may loosen which results in slippage, bunching. So color after locks have settled or before locking.
    What kinda deposits? i thought henna was a great deep conditioner and great for hair? I was told the same with the permanent hair color to make sure it rinses really well or else the residue will thin out the locs. I just want to try something that will show up in my hair and not just in the sun like the color i have in now...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also try two strand twists.They dont really unravel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nita4 View Post
    Henna was excellent at covering my gray, it's just the process that takes so long. I normally did an overnight with the henna (slept in it), rinsed in the morning, and then applied indigo to get a rich brown color. However, for the past year I have been using a hair color called KISS, it has no ammonia or peroxide. It's a powder, which I love because I only color my hair line now. I get four uses out of one bottle at a cost of $4.99.
    Oooh thanks, I am going to try this for my gray. did you get it from the BSS?

^ This is my happy place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast