Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face My scalp emergency

I am having a serious issue with my scalp... I have been natural without perms or color for almost 2 years this time around, the first time my hair was really damaged and broke off so I decided to go to a salon and have it cut off and start over. Initially the lady permed and styled it and I wore a short cut. I went that one time and just didnt get anymore perms after just grew my hair out for 2 years. Unfortunately I slipped back into old habits and permed again... smh! Which brings me to my second time around. So I've noticed that when I'm doin the natural thing my scalp gets these bumps filled with puss and blood, and sometimes really painful, and also my scalp gets really dry and itchy. I want to stick with being natural but I don't want to have the bumps or for my scalp to be sore to the touch. Just recently I washed my hair with my usual shampoo (pantene relaxed & natural) and i conditioned and left conditioner in my hair, and wore my afro for a few days I had a few bumps here and there but I wasnt concerned at this point, but after a few days I wanted to grease my scalp cause I noticed dryness. I used blue magic hairdress conditioner I've been using since childhood, greased my scalp tied it up with silk scarf and went to sleep, but when I woke up my whole scalp was sore to the touch, it hurt to do anything to it, comb, brush, massage... and I don't understand it. and Its like I have more bumps in my scalp, they're so painful to touch they bleed, and it seems as though my scalp itches more now, so im scratching my sore scalp... not a good thing!! I dont know what to do, what to use. I had my bestfriend massage my scalp it felt really good but at the same time hurt like hell. WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY SCALP!! that's not even it lol... I have a bald spot in the middle of my scalp. It was pretty big in size, and has filled in alot but still pretty big to me cause its there, I would really like to know what can I do or use to get my scalp healthy and get my hair completely back in my spot. Sorry about the long read.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything major that changes in your routine once you start transitioning?

Different products? Different styling techniques?

Pus is generally a sign of infection, but with the painful/sensitive scalp it definitely sounds like you're having some sort of reaction to something. There is a condition (name escapes me at the moment) where the actual hair follicles can be irritated. My first suggestion would be a doctor or a dermatologist - so you can figure out what it is.

But in the meantime, maybe try a shampoo/conditioner that focuses on dry scalp and then when you 'leave in' product, apply it to the hair rather than heavy on the scalp?

red_980 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely see a dermatologist....make sure you rinse all of the conditioner out of your hair...leaving it in could be causing irritation. Relaxing your hair again will only make it worse. Try going without putting product on your scalp and try a medicated shampoo like head and shoulders. Sorry for the terse response. I'm rushing off to do dishes!
    Thank you for making me pink, anonymous contributor!

Last CFC - March 7, 2008,BC - June 28, 2008

My Fotki - Updated Jan 2010
    http://public.fotki.com/realrednapps/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get thee to a dematologist asap. If you can't get in with a derm, go to your family doctor. If you are able, rinse with plain water ONLY. No chemicals of any kind, ok?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please go to the dermatologist or your family doc asap.
    "...They just know my name, they don't know my pain..."Blackgirl Pain" Talib Kweli

Thank you to my pink angel. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

nappi777 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, i agree that you should see a dermatologist if you can. And please get a second opinion if you need to.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to get back so late, and thanks for responding. I have not done anything different as far as techniques, and products... aside from trying to keep my scalp oiled which i wasnt a big fan of in my chemical days... ive been trying to come up with more natural styles, but nothing that i would say is a big change since im always trying new styles
    D. Blayze... Nappily Ever After

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank u ladies for your replies... i will definately go see a doctor about this... not really sure how long i can deal. I will also do a plain water rinse, as for using product on hair and not scalp... i have some tea tree cream moisturizer for my hair which does a good job in keeping my hair shiny, and soft, but i need something for my scalp because it tends to get really dry... do u have any suggestions of what i can use to keep my scalp oiled also, or is it not a good idea to put anything on the scalp??
    D. Blayze... Nappily Ever After

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear all the problems that you're having. It sounds horrible. The dermatologist sounds like it would be the best solution right now. You could be dealing with some type of fungus. Until then, try washing with some type of coal tar shampoo to deal with the itching problem. There are straight coal tar shampoos that you can buy at the pharmacy or you can purchase Neutrogena T/Gel (however it has only a small amount of tar) and try to shampoo starting 2x's a week minimum.

I definitely would stop using the heavy grease (blue magic) sometimes those type of products smother our scalp and it can't breathe properly. For now I would do as the ladies suggest with the castor oil or tea tree oil (from what I hear it helps with the itching and it's also light).

The plus is this, once you get the itching under control it is possible that your hair will grow back in. When I got my scalp under control the spot that I had around my temple area grew back because I wasn't constantly bothering it causing my hair to come out.

Good luck!!
    We are fearfully and wonderfully made by God. Therefore, embrace the natural inner and outer beauty that he has created in you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you seen a dermatologist yet?

Like Delavon said, I would stop greasing the scalp and look for a pH balanced shampoo. Rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar, (baking soda might be too harsh) to completely clean hair and scalp of greasy residue and other buildup.

Please keep us posted about the dermatologist visit.