Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My new comb coils (trying to dread) with pics

Hello, I just got my comb coils put in yesterday by a loctician in my area with the intent to start dreads, My hair is Curly. before I start with the questions, here are some pictures:

ok, since this is a new method for me and i am unfamiliar to how it works, i got questions.

1. with my hair type how long will it typically take for my hair to lock with these comb coils?

2. I notice that people with kinky'er hair then mine that have comb coils they look tighter, and more like dreadlocks at first, will this effect the outcome of mine or will they all look the same in the end?

3.what will my loctician do to maintain my hair when i go back to her next week for a maintenance? palm roll?

4. at some point are my coils taken out ? to me it just looks like my hair is being held together with gel, i dont see how that makes it lock? is it the new root growth that locks?

and any other tips/unasked answers, that could help me would be appreciated

thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you'll excuse me being blunt, but with your texture hair, I'd say these coils are a complete waste of money as far as locing hair is concerned. I'd bet you a years pay to a penny that the first shampoo will wash these out like a roller set.

Now I'm not a professional, but I've worked with different hair textures, yours looks very like a couple of my nieces and really, its not going to happen. For your texture, I'd say you'e need to have longer hair in order for it to make any real locking progress at all and backcombing or braids rather than comb coils when its longer.

My hairs not very tightly coiled, but tighter coiled than yours, and right now I've got a new loc (the rest is 4 yrs) thats about 4" long and I have to rebraid (that single braid) every single time I shampoo. Mine start staying in from about 5" (the base at least) onwards.

I don't mean to be negative, hopefully others will give their opinions to help give you more info.

DeBe

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree wit DeBe. I'm no professional, but I don't know if comb coils will work with your texture. They look great, but you are going to have a time and a half trying to get your hair to loc using this method.

BTW...welcome to the site and good luck with your loc'ing journey.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with deborahG. My sons have hair like yours, as well. My 9 year old wants dreads (his hair is a bit straighter), but I am not prepared for the work, especially since I will be the one dealing with the up keep, so he has to wait to become loc'd when he can take part in the maintenance. When the time comes, he will probably start by backcombing. Look into that process. You can do it yourself and/or get a friend to help with the process.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, makes me wonder, I asked the loctician as she was coiling my hair if there were certain types of hair that wouldnt lock with this method she said, "its not that it wont lock it just takes longer to lock". ive heard of the backcombing method, i just kinda let the loctician pick the method and go with it, my hair is actually 3.5 inches long before she put them in. so it is kinda long already. She seemed sure on the method and it was waaaaay cheaper to get them done with her than anyone else. i have to take them back to her next week to do the first maintenance on them so i'll see how it goes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeee View Post
    Hello, I just got my comb coils put in yesterday by a loctician in my area with the intent to start dreads, My hair is Curly. before I start with the questions, here are some pictures:

<<removed>>

ok, since this is a new method for me and i am unfamiliar to how it works, i got questions.

1. with my hair type how long will it typically take for my hair to lock with these comb coils?

2. I notice that people with kinky'er hair then mine that have comb coils they look tighter, and more like dreadlocks at first, will this effect the outcome of mine or will they all look the same in the end?

3.what will my loctician do to maintain my hair when i go back to her next week for a maintenance? palm roll?

4. at some point are my coils taken out ? to me it just looks like my hair is being held together with gel, i dont see how that makes it lock? is it the new root growth that locks?

and any other tips/unasked answers, that could help me would be appreciated

thanks!
    1. It's hard for anyone to predict what someone else's hair will do and it what amount of time. The one thing we can all say, it will take time...most likely a longer amount of time than someone with kinkier hair than yours. And for a lot of kinky heads, it takes a year or more to lock. And that is no matter what method was used to start with.

2. I personally think that straighter hair looks different locked than kinky hair...well I guess I'm really saying is that if your hair texture looks more like white ppls hair, I think it will look different locked than someone with 'black' kinky hair. However white people do grow locks...so do Asians, etc. It seems like all hair will lock given time.

3. That is an excellent question for your loctician. S/he should have explained that to you before you left the last time. There are a few ways to maintain. Wash (with or without conditioner), dry (air, or dryer), just rinse, just use some type of astringent on the scalp, tightening the new growth (palm roll, twisting, latching, just separating) etc. Lots of aspects to consider/discuss with your loctician.

4. I don't think the coils would need to be taken out. They should be allowed to mat up, swell, condense and lock over time. That's how it works with braids, two strand twists, etc.

You will always have some new growth that isn't locked. That's the new hair that grows out of your scalp. It doesn't come out of the scalp locked. That's where the twisting, palm rolling, latching, etc (whichever method you decide on) comes in to play.

The only tips I have are to do some research (requires a lot of reading...there are lots of threads on this site and others) to get a better understanding of locks and the many ways to cultivate them AND to have lots of patience with the process.

~best wishes~
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it is impossible. I've seen several people with a similar hair type lock with two strands and comb coils, I don't think backcombing is the only solution.

"What is for you cyaah be unfor you" Colin Channer
    5 year lock update
    5 1/2 year update

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm, i'm mad at the lady who u PAID to do ur hair. She should know that comb coils prolly isnt the best method for ur hair texture. they look nice but yea bro, u should research some different methods.

But do keep us posted
    LOVE...HUMILITY...LOYALTY...
    Last CFC: 1/10 BIG CHOP: 06/11/10 LOC'D:7/22/10
    http://members.fotki.com/Divine1908/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair looks pretty like that, but I imagine it will be at least twice as hard as it should be for the coils to form into locs. Perhaps a different method would be better for you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she's trying to get your money dude...comb coils should be maintained weekly...and nor should they be used on your hair to start dreads

the whole "come to me, i'll be cheaper" makes that kinda obvious that she's just money hungry
    Follow my loc journey on youtube...rate, comment & subscribe!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrknowitall301

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast