mslady is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can two-strand twists damage your hair???

My twists looks nice but my hair is a mess. It seems like it's so uneven, maybe even a lil broke off in the back across my hair line and up in the middle. The only thing I can think of is the twist and the perm rods. I roll my hair maybe once a week, sometimes more depending on how the curls look.

Any suggestions? Advice? I really can't do anything else to my hair right now. I like the twist because I can keep them in for a month. I am thinking about doing some box braids but I would still like them curled. I'm also thinking about cutting my hair but I don't want to act too soon.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably the perm rods, not the twists. Can perms rods damage your hair? Yes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if you rough handle your hair it can damage it. Something you are doing is causing it harm...you got to figure out what it is but as AuNap said, I seriously doubt it is the twists unless you are really tugging and yanking at your hair something vicious....
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore my hair in twists pretty much all the time over late fall and winter because I wanted to protect my hair. Come spring, I noticed a signficant deterioration in my ends. I think this could be due to a couple of factors:

1. I have to be extra careful about detangling when wearing twists. All that combing and using the Denman (the wide bristle model for afro hair, mind you) probably wasn't the best thing for my hair.

2. Even with the detangling I find I get lots of knots on takedown. Detangling my hair every 2-3 days works best for me and I can't do that with the twists. Sometimes I would hit a knot that was so bad it was either rip through it or cut it out with my hair scissors. Either solution means uneven ends. Are you doing that by any chance?

I love how my hair looks in twists, and the extra length but I think I will have to save them for occasional use. Fortunately I can put in my twists in about an hour and a half so it is feasible to put them in for a special occasion and take them out 2-3 days later. I am leaning towards buns for my main protective style next cold season.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Takedown is the worst for me and twist. Knots Knot Knots everywhere. There has to be a better way!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can two-strand twists damage your hair???

I did notice some damage to my ends when I faithfully wore twists and braids back to back. The extra manipulation that came from putting them in and taking them out just seemed to cancel out the benefits that I was getting from not messing with my hair daily.

I've figured out that the only way these styles will be protective for me is if I make them in large sections & I don't think twists/braids that big look as good as the smaller ones on me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Takedown is the worst for me and twist. Knots Knot Knots everywhere. There has to be a better way!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightnochaser View Post

ccpalm is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously doubt the two-strand twist style itself is a factor that would cause damage to a person's hair.

OP if you're keeping in your twists for a month, how are you maintaining and treating your scalp and hair?

Also I agree with other posters that if you are experiencing damage it is likely coming from the take down process and or the way that you handle your hair while in twists.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on your texture. My daughter's hair starts locking when I leave the braids in too long. Two strand twists are one of many ways that people start locks. I had to smile, when I read some of the posts.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast