Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Want to Loc but have two concerns...

Hi all! I did a search and could not find information regarding my questions.

I haven't been on here in a while and think I would like to go on another hair journey..by locing

However, I have two concerns. My first has to do with traction alopecia. The hair on the right side of my temple may be affected from years of twisting and afros. Have any of you noticed your hairline recede or improve as a result of locing? How do you combat alopecia? I also work out and am worried about my hair being pulled while I work out. Please advise (example: how often should I be twisting locs)?

My second concern has to do with smell. Again, because I work out profusely (and sweat very easily) my hair does not smell good only a week after twisting. I massage oils to combat this. Do locers do the same?

Look forward to your responses!
    BC in 2005
    Loced in 2010

Business, Entertainment and Immigration Attorney in NYC (jllaw.net)
    Crossfitter & World Traveler
    www.instagram/wizardlawyer

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

If your hairline is okay before you lock, then you should be okay after you lock. Just don't twist that often or consider latching. You can latch once every 4-8 wks or more. There's very litte stress on the hair. Of course, you could always freeform, where you don't twist/latch the hair at all. When you workout, you can tie your hair up to prevent bouncing or pulling.

As far as smell, you should rinse or wash your hair as often as you need since you sweat a lot. The odor comes from bacteria. Please wash your hair regularly. However, you need to make sure your hair dries completely to stave off mildew or odor. If you maintain by twisting, you'll need to deal with any unraveling. If you latch or freeform, this wouldn't be a worry.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my hair line was ripped up from wearing afropuffs and pulling my hair back. you can visit my fotkis and see the hairline and where it's come. locking is a huge benefit bc the premise is low manipulation. the hair will begin to regenerate everywhere on your head. if you have odor issues, yes, wash frequently and look into a lock foundation that you can wash your hair easily:latched, braids, sisterlocks. you can wash from day one and keep it clean and smelling good.
    im a trainer and workout 5-6 days a week,i chose braids with latching because of this option.
    researching the pinned threads will help you. your specific question may not be there-but this information is definitely explained through many posts in more detail, so definitely revisit them, they will be helpful to you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies! I will probably start them with twists and latch the inside hair but twist the hair along the edges. I appreciate your advice
    BC in 2005
    Loced in 2010

Business, Entertainment and Immigration Attorney in NYC (jllaw.net)
    Crossfitter & World Traveler
    www.instagram/wizardlawyer