Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Interesting! Hi, Aje!
    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." - Bertrand Russell

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    WARNING: This post is not about religion per se. Do not make posts bashing religion, bashing Christianity, the Bible, etc. Also, this is NOT about evolution versus creation. Let’s not go there.

I was watching a TV program about the future of science and technology. The interviewer asked the guest about his religious beliefs and the scientist replied that he chose to put his belief in science and things he could prove. This got me thinking. It seems a strange dichotomy exists. Science versus religion/belief.
    interesting because in science many theories first start off as beliefs or theories i should say. nothing in science *should* be taking as 100% true without some experimenting, which means that everything we take as being scientifically true first started off as a belief.
    i think this scientist might be a good scientist, but he's probably not such a good on the history of science. how can you have a clear picture of where you're going if you dont quite understand where you've been?

Assertion: Belief in certain aspects of science is the same as belief in a deity.

A lot of people consider my belief in a deity as an intellectual defect or a crutch to meet an emotional deficit. However, these same people have no problems putting their belief and trust in science.
    i think clinging to anything regarding knowledge for the sake of clinging to it is limiting - whether that be religious doctrines or scientific

when people lose the ability to ask "what if..?" then that's probably a sign that we're going to stop progressing.

the problem i have with both sides of this argument is that both those who cling to science and those who cling to religion tend to operate under the assumption that there is no new information possible and everything has been explained.

for instance, take the notion of the "supernatural". our assumption is that we understand everything there is to know about the natural and if what we observe doesn't fit into that understanding then it has to be in the realm of supernatural.

For instance, some will say that since most people were not living doing ancient times, how do I know that stories relating to my chosen deity are correct? How do I even know that such a deity exists? Where’s the proof?

I could argue that there is proof via apologetics and religious archeology, but that’s another thread.

Using the same logic as above, how do scientists really know what happened millions and millions of years ago? Sure, they’ve found fossils and things, but how do they really know that a certain fossil is 20 million years old as opposed to just 50,000 years old? What about glacier movements, ice ages, etc? Are dating techniques able to tell us what really happened all those years ago? Do we really know what happened beyond a shadow of a doubt? Try as we may, we know that life is not “paint by the numbers.” Why are people putting their trust and belief in found objects, equations and predictive modeling?

because there are things like carbon dating, strata dating, etc. it's hard to confirm a story mainly because human behavior insists upon changing that story. not sure if you've ever played telephone, but a simple sentence can get changed in the course of 15 minutes. it's pretty safe to assume that the magnitude of a story's change will be even greater over 15 centuries.

one place where science gets itself in trouble is when it tries to create a narrative based on what it finds. stringing together a set of facts and trying to create a story out of them is just potentially another type of fiction.

Also, I’m a big fan of Michio Kaku, the theoretical physicist. However, he will go on and on about parallel universes, worm holes, and technologies that will make things possible 500 or 1000 years from now. Umm…okay. Has anyone been in a parallel universe and have come back to provide personal testimony? Where's the videotape? I respect his (and others) method of thinking on such matters, but really, where’s the proof? What do scientists really have besides equations and a belief in what is possible? Oh, and let us not forget Stephen Hawking and his aliens.

Do we really know what we think we know?

So, with all that said, is my assertion correct? Belief in certain aspects of science is the same as belief in an unseen deity?

past experience has shown that is something is mathematically possible , then it's highly likely that it's physically possible. what's going on in CERN right now is an example of that. the issue is that our ability to recreate those possibilities are hindered by the limitation of our tools.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMP************
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for bumping it.
    Where there's a will, there's a way (my blog about living naturally and simply, mothering, and homemaking)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Science vs Belief

Thank you- I was wondering what people thought about Darwin... or who was the father of science since someone keeps trying to erase education...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789