Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get approached, but I get alot of stares, mostly from the Hispanics and Africans that I ride the bus with. My kids tell me that I look mean sometimes, or like I'm not to be messed with, so.....whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

In a word ...No, they will check me out but I don't get approached that much.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in N.C., I would get approached by African men and get compliments from white male co workers about my hair.

While in NY,Philly, and DC I would get approached by black men. MY BF's Peurto Rican friend told me he liked my natural hair better than a wig he saw me wear the first time I met him. lol Although I was only wearing the wig cause I wanted to do something different.

All in all, I don't really see a difference in the type of men or the amount approaching me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southerncurl View Post
    I get serious hollers from white men...honestly black men make jokes and giggle when i walk by...old and young. : (

I know what u mean!!! They (black men)didn't EXACTLY snicker at me the last time I was natural,but it was more of a keeping their distance. The white men were all up on me though The only Brotha's that really approached me were older types and more intellectual, which was a plus.

DeBlaQPearl Guest

yep yep yep. A higher quality of BROTHA too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get approached with more respect. I also don't get the childish thug type approaching me anymore.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Men love Natural Hair! It's just a fact. They are attracted to it like a moth to a flame. AND WE ARE THAT HOT FIRE!!! LOL! Black men are not so much attracted to me because of my hair, but because of me just being myself. I guess my hair only emphasizes that quality about me even more. I find that I am more approached by men of Indian & East African descent quite a bit more than I would like. They are very attractive men, but they are too domineering for me.
    If you're nappy and you know it say AMEN!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kell View Post
    My man friend does not like natural hair especially natural that looks like mine, course, thick and nappy. I had locks he hated it, now I have a afro and he hates it, when I had a relaxer 5 years ago he loved it. When I put on a wig once, he liked it. I think it all depends where you live. Brothers and sisters where I live think natural hair is ghetto and ugly and if you don't have a relaxer you must be to poor to aford it. They still use the term "good hair". This coworker said to me if she had "good hair" she would go natural. When I lived in N.Y. alot of brothers gave complements even other races gave me complements. If more Black women on TV were natural, that may change peoples views world wide. But its still not popular main stream yet.
    I agree with you it is where you live. I remember when I moved into my city a lot of young black men would laugh when in large groups when I walked by. It pissed me off. My hubby was pissed too. He is white. He didn't understand what the deal was.
    I got a lot of compliments from white men maybe because they weren't use to seeing it. After being her for 3 years there are more nappturals popping up on the scene. Mostly Caribbean students but I'm not alone anymore.

Personally at this stage, I could care less what anyone says about my hair. I still get negative looks from black women though. That's strange but I get plenty of whistles and smiles from black, white,and Hispanic men. I sometimes think is it the hair? Is it because it's longer? I don't know but I walk with pride and that could be it too.
    I walk with pride everyday and I think that makes a difference with people who don't know us.

http://public.fotki.com/Damica78
    Baby Dee

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damica78 View Post
    I agree with you it is where you live. I remember when I moved into my city a lot of young black men would laugh when in large groups when I walked by. It pissed me off. My hubby was pissed too. He is white. He didn't understand what the deal was.
    I got a lot of compliments from white men maybe because they weren't use to seeing it. After being her for 3 years there are more nappturals popping up on the scene. Mostly Caribbean students but I'm not alone anymore.

Personally at this stage, I could care less what anyone says about my hair. I still get negative looks from black women though. That's strange but I get plenty of whistles and smiles from black, white,and Hispanic men. I sometimes think is it the hair? Is it because it's longer? I don't know but I walk with pride and that could be it too.
    I walk with pride everyday and I think that makes a difference with people who don't know us.

http://public.fotki.com/Damica78
    Im in TX too, but I am in the Dallas area. I think that in more urban areas it is more popular. I get approached by black men, mostly older, but no men seem suprised by my TWA....now BW....they stare lile I got a booger hanging out of my nose, and every time I look at THEIR heads it some tired weave with the ends burnt off or they have a ponytail the length of a toothpick, etc....I'm thinking to myself, "You mugging me when you need to get down with a natural urself!" smh

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

"Do they give you weird looks? Have any of them told you they could never date you because of your hair? "

surprisingly, the complete opposite happened to me. when i had a perm/extensions men did not really come up to me saying "hey, i like your bone straight hair" but I have been receiving more compliments now that I am natural (and about to loced up hopefully). in opinion, i feel that times are changing, and natural hair is becoming more accepted in society. maybe not as much as it should be, but i do see progress.
    Last edited by Vavoon; 06-17-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: quote came out bad

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast