Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Pantene caters to "curly" hair. Question, do you identify with the world "curly?"

*word

I don't know if you caught the commercials, but Pantene has re-vamped itself and has separate systems for different hair types and color treated hair.

http://www.pantene.com/en-US/Pages/h...-products.aspx

Funny, because they forget "kinky" (nappy, excessively curly, afro-textured, whichever works for you.) Then I thought to myself, maybe most black women and men don't mind being called curly, I'm over-reacting. I personally call myself kinky, in my opinion, curly doesn't begin to describe my hair. Respectively.

So I ask you, do you mind being called curly, or would you preferred for Pantene recognize that there is another hair type, type 4, kinky?

If you do identify with kinky, would you want them to create a another line for kinky separately, or say they have a line for 'curly/kinky' hair types? Personally for me, the latter.

How 'bout you? There are no wrong answers.
    Transitioning; Type: 4c; Staples: Ceramides, porosity control, cellophane/glaze, & anything that comes in a vial, ampoule, packs or a tube.

*Official 2010 Ceramides Challenge*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't identify with "curly" but it doesn't really bother me. I don't think they should change their name either, nor do I think World of Curls gel should change it's name, or whatever else has curl in it and so on and so forth.. "curl" is just a "safe" and all-around word to use to me. not everyone takes to kinky and nappy and all of the other labels like others. -shrug-
    On the grow again!
    Sing it with me, naturals!
    I'm finally on the grow again!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I know is that their products are not for my hair type, so it doesn't matter to me which word they want to use.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool topic. Um, my favorite word for describing my hair is coily. Curly works, even though I'm sure my size curls are not what Pantene thinks about when marketing their products...

I don't know how it would go over if a company like Pantene marketed a product to "nappy" hair. I just don't know how the general public would react. (People have issues with the use of that word).

Kinky. That word doesn't appeal to me, because I think of the saying, "Iron the kinks out". The bends in my hair don't need to be ironed out! Yes, I'm looking too deep into it, but that's me. I just don't like the word. Multiple meanings...as many words have but still.

I'll take coily, nappy (on this site) curly, afro-textured,...

Now, if they make a product for "excessively curly hair" Um, no...

Done rambling now. I want to see what other ladies say, too.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooo! I like this question! Lol, the curly v kinky thing has been on my mind lately. I do not (generally) mind people calling my hair curly, kinky or nappy. When speaking about it myself, I switch it up depending on who I'm talking to home=nappy, white friends=curly, black friends=kinky.

I'm rambling...basically, I don't put much stock in the word used unless there's some kind of self-hate or bigotry going on. A black person stressing over "defining" curls they don't have seems strange to me. A white (or black!!!) that calls me nappy in a derogatory way is not going to get a pass just bc I say it.

Ummmm, in short--Pantene can call their stuff whatever they want! Especially if it works I'm excited to try the shampoo and deep treatment

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to be honest. Even though I occasionally use the term, 'kinky' reminds me of sex.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. However, I don't think that most major hair care lines for "curly" hair have my degree of curl in mind.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope. mainly because i dont really have a unifor set of coils on my head. it clumos pretty well but some patches are straight uo o's and s's and others are kind of z's and l's.

i just got into a related conversation witha coworker who's 3b. she uses devacurl products . i think i came in to work a few times with semi defined coils. she said she missed my hair (i've been in protective styles for a good month now) and i told it was because i'm on a retaining length kick. anyway she suggested i try deva curl products because she loves it and i have curly hair and she has curly etc but my curls are just tighter etc.. i tried to explain to her that products made for her 3b hair are not going to work for my coarse 4 a hair mainly because they arent heavy enough.

she didnt get it and i have the feeling pantene doesn't either

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica_X View Post
    I've got to be honest. Even though I occasionally use the term, 'kinky' reminds me of sex.
    Well, hun... Kinky hair CAN lead to some sho' nuff Kinky sex!!! Please believe!!!! *runs to bedroom with husband in tow*
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iluvkanye View Post
    Well, hun... Kinky hair CAN lead to some sho' nuff Kinky sex!!! Please believe!!!! *runs to bedroom with husband in tow*
    I've never connected kinky hair to kinky sex before...but now I will never be able to separate the two Thanks lol

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast