Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking New Too

I did the BC back in November because my hair was shedding by the handfuls!!! I cut off all the relaxer because I wanted to just let it grow and I figured I would get a relaxer after about 6 months. Well while waiting on those six months to pass I went to the dermatologist on some unrelated items and asked him about my hair. It was itching ALL the time, if I touched with my hands, water, comb or brush it cam out like leaves falling in Autumn. He looked me in the eye and said you have over processed it and wrote me a script and said no more relaxers and not a lot of heat. I said no more relaxers for how long? "Forever"! and didn't blink. I asked what to do with it because it's so dry. He told me to find a good leave in conditioner. A month later my hair had gotten thicker and stopped shedding. I've been wearing lacefront wigs because I don't know what to do with it. It's really dry and I don't know what to use to get it to retain moisture. Any Suggestions??

pie is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the before/after thread. There is so much that you can do with your natural hair. There are a lot of unique and beautiful styles. Welcome!!

Vabap6 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to NP. Make sure that you moisturize your hair and seal it with an oil on a regular basis. I am still transitioning and I moisturize and oil everyday.

FYI, I just read an email forwarded from a friend that talked about Black Women Losing Their Hair starting around mid to late 40s. The email indicated that a dermatologist told the lady that this is an epidemic. The reason is that this is the generation that began getting perms as teenagers, and never stopped. The harsh chemicals over all these years have done so much damage that their hair can't take it anymore. THIS IS DEF A WAKE UP CALL...
    Last CFC: 11/20/2009
    BC: 07/30/2010

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Vabap6 - IMO that is very true. I think I got my first relaxer when I was 12. I then went to a curl and back to a relaxer. I was even relaxing my hair after taking out braids and would get the braids back the day after the relaxer sometimes the same day. It's a wonder the hair is actually growing. What type of moisturizer and oil do you use?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the 'Hair Care' section. You will find lots of useful information on how to manage your natural hair. I suggest that you start with the 10 chemicals to avoid articles. Some ingredients are widely used but not good for natural hair because they contribute to its dryness. Being natural is alot of trial and error. You have to be patient and find what works for your hair. There is no one size fits all product. Be careful with the lace fronts as they too can damage your hairline.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am new too...its alot to absorb...lol
    Last edited by NIK82; 06-28-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the ladies. Welcome. : )

Vabap6 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lookN4moisture View Post
    @Vabap6 - IMO that is very true. I think I got my first relaxer when I was 12. I then went to a curl and back to a relaxer. I was even relaxing my hair after taking out braids and would get the braids back the day after the relaxer sometimes the same day. It's a wonder the hair is actually growing. What type of moisturizer and oil do you use?
    I have tried a few moisturizers and oils. My favorites are Shea Butter, Avocado Butter, CD Healthy Hair Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and Proclaim Natural 7 Oil with Olive Oil. Like Patrice said, you have to find products that work for your hair. You will find something.
    Last CFC: 11/20/2009
    BC: 07/30/2010

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!
    the other posters have given you some good information to start with. Be sure to browse and use the search engine,
    there's a wealth of information on the site, you've just got to look for it.
    Any other questions you have other members are more than willing to answer for you.

Best of luck on your journey!
    Transitioned: Jan '09-June '10 Joined NP: June 2010 Bye-Bye Relaxation: June 10, 2010