Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know genealogical research is frustrating and seems never ending. Websites are good, but make sure to go, if you haven't already, to the county's library or archives center to access information that you might not see online. There are freedmen's bureau lists, wills, deeds, etc. available now that can help you locate your ancestors and who owned them last, in addition to other info. Just yesterday I obtained copies of my great great great great great grandmother's will. I never would've known that a black former slave, born about 1820, would have a will. Anyway, I hope this helps some, as you are not alone in your search. Keep looking!
    Nappy since 2002.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Join the club. I have been doing genealogy for 2 years now and I am still stuck in the same brick wall. I think I am going to have to plan a weeks trip to Georgetown, SC and just go real hard body with this. I need to take my behind down to the courthouse. My main issue with my ancestors is the spelling of her name. Then there was a rumor that they were from Haiti. I don't even know if I should acknowledge that one lol.

Trust me it IS frustrating, but don't give up. IN MY OPINION, and as someone else told me online before. Your ancestors chose YOU for a reason to tell their story. No one said it was going to be easy. I already know how to find who owned my ancestors if they were slaves, the issue is the SPELLING of names. I already tried the Soundex and that did not work either.

I have been so focused on other things (finding another job for one) that I really cannot find the time to dedicate to my ancestors RIGHT NOW. Their story WILL be told lol. Eventually I will be going back to the weekends like I used to do.

Oh and the rumor a bout the family bible don't work either. I just viewed the Family Bible and I have not seen not one familiar name in there. No familiar last names nothing...

One more thing. Make sure you are not trying to do ALL of your research online. You will for sure hit a brick wall. I also need to hit the library too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It IS frustrating. But if you can, try talking to older members of your family.

My dad and I were just talking, and we ended up discussing the family. Thanks to him, I got a bit further than I have on my own. I not only know the name of my grandmother's mother, but HER dad and grandfather. I feel newly energized.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exotica, Not everyone has that blessing. Some folk family don't want to talk. This is what I have experienced in my situation. No one wants to talk.

Its very depressing for me. These past couple of weeks I have just been very, very sad a bout it because I am still in the same spot. Possibly tomorrow I will call the County Clerk office AGAIN. Also, learning a bout the state where your ancestors lived might help as well. Learning a bout when they started keeping certain records so you won't waste your time looking for something that wasn't recorded in the first place. This type of information could be found online.

Another thing that annoys me sometimes (not singling anyone out) is that people are quick to talk a bout what they found but will never ever explain the STEPS in finding it. OMG. I have seen that online too many times. Whatever.
    Last Relaxer March 2010.
    BCed Jan 5th 2011.
    Locked Jan 5th 2011.
    Loose Napp Now.
    Will be embarking on my sisterlock journey soon!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hit a brick wall a few months ago. I FINALLY found a marriage license for my great great grandparents and it lacked the info I thought I would find (such as parent's names, etc). It seems it was done by the priest 3 years after they were married. I have taken a break from tracing my family because that was such a heartbreak for me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Don't give up!! Have you looked at census records? In many instances, family members lived next door, so you might get lucky and pick up a maiden name. Have you found brothers and sisters for your great great grandparents? Check them out because your collateral ancestors could lead you to your greats. I experienced this myself. I don't know exactly what steps you have taken, so I hope this helps. Keep going!
    Nappy since 2002.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here. My husband has always considered genealogy important, and he knows his family history all the way to Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England - you get the picture. For years I had determined not to even worry about my family history because I knew it would much more difficult for me than it was for him. But he has all kinds of stories to tell our daughter from several generations ago, and I started to catch the genealogy bug. I've gotten as far as a ggggrandfather, and that's it.
    It's kind of bittersweet. But DD is going to have a head full of her father's family history no matter what, while I only have handfuls to offer. The competitive streak in me can't let that happen! lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips Treneece! When I wrote the previous post, I had some info about my 3rd great grandparents. I just did not have anything concrete. Now I have definitely connected them to me! I have also found my 4th great grandparents I even have a maiden name for my gggg grandmother!

I only have info for one branch of my family (my maternal grandmother's side). So, I'm in it for the long haul

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister was able to locate more relatives when she visited Utah. The Mormons have a good system for finding your ancestors.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12