Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is there ever a good time?

I had natural hair for years (even locs) before foolishly returning to a relaxer. But I've always planned to return to natural. I just got a new job, having interviewed with my short permed do. So should I wait a while before I go back natural? Would it be too much to have interviewed with a perm, then show up on the first day with a TWA?

BTW: I live in the South, and will be the only AA in the office. My job is to represent the company to the business community and to the media. I went from relaxed to natural to locs on my last job, but I had been there for a number of years.

Interested in hearing thoughts from current corporate nappturals.
    [I]"I can't expect you to accept me... if I don't accept myself."[/I]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that after I BC'd I got most of my compliments from people of other races, even at work. My white supervisors loved it, my middle eastern convenience store clerk and has 3 darling little girs are crazy about my hair they've never seen such texture. I even have white people stop me in the grocery store and tell me it looks so much better than the weaves they have seen in other black women's hair. I think that if we give others a chance and are confident with ourselves they will be comfortable as well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a supervisor my job. I had my last relaxer in August 2009 and BC'ed May 1. So far, everyone has been really supportive of my TWA. I have gotten alot of (more) compliments from white co-workers.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer this question:

Would it be too much to have interviewed with a perm, then show up on the first day with a TWA?
    The answer is no. A TWA works in any environment. If people ask about your hairstyle, just say that you decided to change it. No further explanation is necessary.

The destigmatization of our natural hair texture in the workplace has to start with each of US.

(I am a former corporate napptural who BC'd on a Friday and went to work on a Monday like it was no big deal...and it wasn't.)
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sevenx3. You're pretty new to NP. After you hang around for a while, you'll see that there are doctors, lawyers, people in government, finance (me) and all types of corporate careers represented on this site. We all wear our natural hair.

Truth is white people don't give a flip about our hair. As long as we look professional and are good at our jobs, they are not one bit concerned about hair texture.

You will have no problem with your natural hair at work. Just do your job and you'll be okay.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    co-signing everything chacha said, especially the part @ them not caring what we do with our hair

my previous job was at a bank. i interviewed with kinky twist extensions but showed up for my first day with a twa like what!

focus on your new job and making a good first impression. let us know what you decide, and welcome to np
    Must have a subscription to self-promote

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I agree with chachadiva as well. White people pretty much don't care about it as long as you look presentable.

I've been working at my job for two years now. When I started, I had kinky twists in. Within 2 months I did my BC. At first, I was kind of worried, but I thought...yo! I really don't look bad. I just have short hair. That's it and that's all! I got to work, most people said nothing to me about it and others were intrigued by my lil fro. As time progressed, I began experimenting with styles and there were definitely days that I was completely OFF...and I knew it! LOL...When you first start you have to try different things to find out what styles work best for you. So, I had my ups and downs but I thank God that no one at work said anything negative to me about it. I am the only black woman employed here so I'm glad to be able to set the ground for another black woman to be natural here and be comfortable doing so! ;-)
    Beginning YEAR 3 of this natural hair journey as of October 16th, 2010. Woohooo!!! Bring IT!!!

My Fotki

My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably not good advice but it has always worked for me. Before I went fully natural I wore braids A LOT. When i would find myself looking for a job, I went back to my relaxer, get the job then go back to my braids. The job can't tell you how to wear your hair and I even worked at Arthur Anderson before ENRON! Ultra Corporate. I didn't like having to do that but I felt it was necessary in order to get the job first and felt i would be judged by my hair. I always went back to the braids.

Now I am all the way natural (wash and go curls) and don't give a damn what employers may say and think but I'm no longer living in the south and natural hair is more acceptable.
    http://www.seriouslynatural.org/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the others, No one cares like we think they do. As long as you are neat and do a great job, they don't care about our hair. I think it's more us an individual’s that is so hard on ourselves b/cos of what we think others might think. But we are over thinking ourselves and underestimating others.
    I got my job with a shout wig, but I stop wearing it later. However looking back, I'm sure I could have gotten this government job with my twa, it was all in my own head :-)
    Last edited by Sinamin2; 02-03-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: editing typos

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking My people!

I usually wear twist or twist in two french braids to work. I wore and afro and my people thought that was a bad discussion. I got really funny looks and crazy comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast