Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ancestry DNA tests

I think I need to know what parts of Africa my ancestors come from. On africanancestry.com, the dna tests are $300. I think I want to do one for my moms line when income tax season rolls around.

Has anyone done one of these before? Are you comfortable sharing the results? How has knowing your lineage affected you? I'm interested to hear experiences.

Also, if you know your lineage and you happen to be from the Halifax County North Carolina area, i'd be very interested to know your results because that is where my family is from.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coalblacklocs View Post
    I think I need to know what parts of Africa my ancestors come from. On africanancestry.com, the dna tests are $300. I think I want to do one for my moms line when income tax season rolls around.

Has anyone done one of these before? Are you comfortable sharing the results? How has knowing your lineage affected you? I'm interested to hear experiences.

Also, if you know your lineage and you happen to be from the Halifax County North Carolina area, i'd be very interested to know your results because that is where my family is from.
    Wow. I am from that exact same area. But tell me how that website goes.
    http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq124/foreverkago/Seasons%20Change%20of%20Hair/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah...that's something i dream of finding out. I think that would make me feel more whole just to be able to indentify with my culture. There is more to know than what African-americans have done here. I want to identify with a culture..and know their traditions. Its something i want so bad and feel it would make a huge difference in my life

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone! I have had the opportunity to have my DNA traced. It was done through African Ancestry (africanancestry.com) pro bono by African Ancestry itself. It was a group of us who had our DNA traced. We were a predominantly african american and caribbean group. I initially thought my results would yield origins from West Africa. I was expecting Nigeria or Ghana as that was the result of many of the participants from the group and I was actually hoping that it would have been that so I could truly and scientifically claim Nigerian or at least West African heritage. This was not the case for me, I do not know why. I was born in Trinidad to a Trinidadian father (black), and a vincentian mother who is biracial. Her mother was Portuguese and father was black. That is the only admixture that I know of within my family. I have always considered myself black and of African origin and by looking at me there is no way one could tell that I am anything but black. According to the results of my DNA (which from this test only traces the matriarchal mitochondria) I share 100% maternal sequence genetic ancestry with people living in the middle east - haplogroup N1C. I was sent a letter saying "Having middle eastern ancestry does not mean that you have no African Ancestry (in my mind I thought middle easterners migrated from Africa) anywhere in your family tree. We just cannot trace them using your DNA. I joined a forum through African Ancestry where there are a few others like myself, but there isn't much research or information available for my lineage or haplogroup. How has it affected? I'm more confused than I started out, lol aha . I guess I went in with a certain expected result in my mind and got the opposite.
    Always Seeking

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's so interesting to hear about, thanks for sharing strrblck!

i'm not sure which group migrated where. i took one semester of the very basics of humanities, and i don't remember exact details, but I was under the impression that peoples of the middle east migrated to africa. I could be wrong on that, though.

the middle east is a large area. did they give you a specific modern day country where people who match your dna live? did they name a tribe or something like that?

i thought that when they trace it to be from africa, they would give a country and a tribe if they could. but i think i just saw that part on TV, a celebrity had it done for her as a surprise. (I think it was Judge Toller.)

Have you researched the people who share your DNA? Do you notice any small strands of similarity between you and them at all?

I'm just so facinated, i have a billion questions.

I figure that my mom's mom's mom's side and on back would lead to peoples of Africa. But of course, i could end up being thrown curve ball in there.

I figure that my dad's dad's dad's side on back, I have no idea where we'd end up. The further I go through my dad's dad's line, the lighter they become. so it's no telling where we'd end up there.

i get stopped at my ancestry on all branches around 1850. For some branches, (the darker ones) i lose all contact with where they could have come from. For the lighter branches, there are loose ends dangling on the other side of 1850 that might be matches, but i can't find any definite connections that would match perfectly. So we have this guy over here in 1830 that may have been us, but then we have another guy of the same name in 1830 also, in a totally different location. birthdays might be similar. so i don't know which guy is the person i'm looking for.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!