Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with washing in sections. This saved me from crying and almost ripping my hair out a few months ago! I just do four sections with my hair in puffs. It makes things go a lot smoother on wash day.

Also, to get some of the tangles and such out, I don't realy co-wash, but when I am in the shower and my hair has gone a couple of days without a comb I usually just wet my hair, smooth conditioner down the length of my hair and detangle from there. Even that is done in sections! But I still use my Denman/shower comb to get some shed hairs out.

Your hair looks like it needs a conditioner that is a little thicker than VO5. Try Herbal Essence Hello Hydration or even Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (like southerncurl suggested).
    Last Relax.er: Dec 2008/Jan 2009
    BC Date: July 29th 2009

http://public.fotki.com/lucidbeautyy/
    http://nside--n--out.blogspot.com/ <--- My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel saved me! First I wet it, then apply GF "Sleek and Shine" Divide hair into about 4 section and apply big "dollops" of the Aloe Vera gel, gently rubbing the ends of my hair between my palms.

Let it sit while I finish showering and handling my bizness. Detangle with a huge wide tooth comb. The Aloe Vera Gel works like a charm! Used to take me 45 minutes, now it's just 10.
    [i]The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men.” [/i] [b]Alice Walker[/b]

[url=http://public.fotki.com/dbboyd/] PW: hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your hair is not sensitive to oils try doing an oil rinse after your wash and then followed up with your conditioner. You could try olive or avocado oil.
    My Webpage

Password gryphon123

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the sistas!!! Sections are good!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the same hair you have and I wouldn't ever get into the shower with my hair in anything less than 4 sections - I use big loose twists. I only detangle under the water, use a method similar to Whitley's and it's no stress whatsoever. And if I really want to scrub my scalp a bit, I stretch that section of hair with one hand and massage my scalp with the fingers of the other. No tangles. Afterwards I apply my leave-in and put my hair up into some simple twists to dry and stretch a bit. This takes me about 90 minutes total, from start to finish - no tears.

The 2 practices that have changed my life with my hair the most are 1) more frequent washing - because that's when I remove most of the shed hairs & 2) a simple apple cider vinegar rinse (ACV) because it gives the hair less to catch on to. Really, the simplest & cheapest practices have helped me the most.

My guess is that if you're so dreading washing your hair, you're probably not doing it enough. At this point it may seem counter-intuitive but try to do it once a week.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-signing everyone else on washing in sections.

Believe it or not, THIS HAIR TOO can be manageable. It just requires an open mind. You are in the best place on the Internet to learn how to love your hair.

For the record, the only time I've ever cried over my hair was when it was relaxed. Sure, it was "manageable" by conventional standards, but it had NO LIFE. And I had to either sleep in rollers or use the curling iron EVERY DAY in order to give it some life. Man, being natural hasn't always been a cake walk, but it's been heaven compared to being relaxed.
    It's 2020...do you know where you're going to?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is definitely a thread I need because my hair remains tangled after detangling. I DREAD combing my hair out, even with a wide tooth comb, moisturizer, leave in conditioner, etc., which I put in before, beceause my breakage is ENDless! It's depressing sometimes to where I sometimes wish my curls were looser. At this point, I am even considering allowing a natural stylist to wash, condition and detangle my hair. Don't know if I will follow through with it because it's so expensive. It's just a thought.
    Hair type: 4AB
    Last CFC: 6/13/10 (texturized)
    "I am important".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually look forward to washing my hair. It feels good. I don't wash my hair in sections but I do condition and detangle it in sections. It works for me.

"No Jesus, no peace...know Jesus, know peace"

Find me here:
    http://www.anewanddifferentpathforme.com
    Got twitter? Then follow me: @NaturalKrys

Pooks is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washing my hair has become a pleasure since I began washing in sections, trust me it makes a huge difference. Keeping the strands stretched prevents the shrinkage + tangling which used to = immense frustration and lead to breakage from over manipulation during the post wash styling process.

~~~ 4b, nappy since birth, started hair journey 2008 ~~~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awww...you shouldn't want to cry!!!!

But washing in sections is a MUST. Just use clips to separate your hair. You can also try detangling your hair BEFORE you get into the shower. I've seen people take conditioner and apply it to their dry hair so that they can detangle and section off their hair, then get into the shower and wash each section.

Then you can take each section and slather it with a good conditioner and finger comb it in the shower. It looks like when you have it wet like that it should be long enough for you to throw around 12 twists in it before you get out of the shower. Then once you're out you can apply a sealing leave in to each twist and just retwist it and let it dry over night or for a few hours.

Once you get to a certain length you HAVE to switch up your routine to better handle the length and thickness. I hope you find something that works for you soon dear!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast