Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Starting Locs

Hi everyone!

Although this is my third time installing locs (im going to try my best to stick past the 1 year stage) I am considering the different ways of starting them (i.e. comb coils, braids, two strand twists, latching/nappy tool, ect) and was wondering if anyone has a photo journey from beginning to at least the one year stage of each of those methods. I want to evaluate my options and how they may look and rather I would need assistance/if it's best to just go to a salon (im being lazy)

I know for sure I'm not interested in Sisterlocs as that will be to time consuming for my lifestyle..

Any help, suggestions, advice, ect you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    * Blog: evolvingstreet.wordpress.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did you take out your previous locks? Since you've gone through the process, I'm sure you know what to expect.

I'm sure some folks with Foktis will chime in. Just know that your hair won't look like their hair. Your hair will be individual to you.

Also, Sisterlocks are not time consuming. I spend less time on my hair than many other lockers.

Good luck!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fotki shows my journey. I used three strand twists. This really isn't about pictures. After cutting my first set of locs due to a bad relationship, I kept trying to re-loc. Time after time I couldnt make it. Why? I wasn't ready. When you're ready, you will loc. Here's to hoping this is your time.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/quotidianlight

http://twitter.com/quotidianlight

http://public.fotki.com/quotidianlight/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keychee View Post
    Hi everyone!

Although this is my third time installing locs (im going to try my best to stick past the 1 year stage) I am considering the different ways of starting them (i.e. comb coils, braids, two strand twists, latching/nappy tool, ect) and was wondering if anyone has a photo journey from beginning to at least the one year stage of each of those methods. I want to evaluate my options and how they may look and rather I would need assistance/if it's best to just go to a salon (im being lazy)

I know for sure I'm not interested in Sisterlocs as that will be to time consuming for my lifestyle..

Any help, suggestions, advice, ect you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Consider
    How did you start them before? Did you DIY or go to a salon? Why did you end your journey, are the reasons for ending the past journeys no longer valid? Also consider checking other hair albums is a guide and fun, but each head is unique your locks may look totally different.
    Good luck
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to evaluate my options and how they may look and rather I would need assistance/if it's best to just go to a salon (im being lazy)
    How can whether or not you go to a salon be determined from looking at others' locs?

I see "professional" looking locs on NP that were started--and are presently maintained--by their owners all the time.

No offense, but I think you're giving other folks' loc journeys more credit than they deserve, especially as they relate to your own hair. (Not that the lot of you don't have fabulous hair.Hopefully some of you will know what I mean.)

Re Sisterlocks, from what I've seen on NP, I haven't noticed anyone who's considering locs being concerned about the time that SLs take. If anything, people are more likely to chat about how much they cost.
    Last edited by Claire76; 07-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Why did you take out your previous locks? I was not ready and started missing my loose nappy, only to miss my locs once I took them out Since you've gone through the process, I'm sure you know what to expect.

I'm sure some folks with Foktis will chime in. Just know that your hair won't look like their hair. Your hair will be individual to you. I always assumed you locs were dependent upon the method in which you started them, and how well you maintained them

Also, Sisterlocks are not time consuming. I spend less time on my hair than many other lockers. hmm.. I got the impression that they were expensive, and would take double the time (dependent on the size of your locks) to maintenance

Good luck!! Thanks for you time and information
    Quote Originally Posted by deborahG View Post
    Reflect on why you took your locs down 2x and what you expect this third time. thanks for your advice..
    Quote Originally Posted by quotidianlight View Post
    My fotki shows my journey. I used three strand twists. This really isn't about pictures. After cutting my first set of locs due to a bad relationship, I kept trying to re-loc. Time after time I couldnt make it. Why? I wasn't ready. When you're ready, you will loc. Here's to hoping this is your time. Thanks for your honesty! I always like to see others journeys... thats how I learned that you could start your locs through braids!
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Consider
    How did you start them before? Did you DIY or go to a salon? Why did you end your journey, are the reasons for ending the past journeys no longer valid? Also consider checking other hair albums is a guide and fun, but each head is unique your locks may look totally different.
    Good luck Thanks, I will keep all these things in mind.. I was a DIY, the 2nd time around but I've only done comb coils...
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    How can whether or not you go to a salon be determined from looking at others' locs? You misinterpreted my statement.. looking at others locks will not determine rather I go to a salon or not... the length of time will if indicated in the album due to health reasons.. As a word of advice, this statement can be taken offensively and is the very reason why newbies do not post questions on this forum...

I see "professional" looking locs on NP that were started--and are presently maintained--by their owners all the time. Agreed..... my loc fotki albums displays the same

No offense, but I think you're giving other folks' loc journeys more credit than they deserve, especially as they relate to your own hair. (Not that the lot of you don't have fabulous hair.Hopefully some of you will know what I mean.) Giving other folk's loc journey more credit? What exactly are you implying? The purpose of this topic was to see other's progress with locs through their various methods of origin... Don't assume before gaining clarity.

Re Sisterlocks, from what I've seen on NP, I haven't noticed anyone who's considering locs being concerned about the time that SLs take. If anything, people are more likely to chat about how much they cost.
    Yes, the cost of Sisterlocks are another factor im taking in consideration...
    * Blog: evolvingstreet.wordpress.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can whether or not you go to a salon be determined from looking at others' locs? You misinterpreted my statement.. looking at others locks will not determine rather I go to a salon or not... the length of time will if indicated in the album due to health reasons.. As a word of advice, this statement can be taken offensively and is the very reason why newbies do not post questions on this forum...
    How can what I said be taken offensively? Please elaborate.

I thought I was asking a perfectly innocent question.

No offense, but I think you're giving other folks' loc journeys more credit than they deserve, especially as they relate to your own hair. (Not that the lot of you don't have fabulous hair.Hopefully some of you will know what I mean.) Giving other folk's loc journey more credit? What exactly are you implying? The purpose of this topic was to see other's progress with locs through their various methods of origin... Don't assume before gaining clarity.
    Who says I'm "implying" anything? Goodness.

Firstly, whether correct or not, everyone interprets what they read. (Notice how you seem to have interpreted what I said without knowing my intentions?) Drawing conclusions based on what a person says or writes is a natural part of human communication. Especially if the person who is speaking has not yet elaborated upon their comments.

Furthermore, from the way your first post was worded, to me, it seemed as though you may have been thinking that other people's examples will help you determine how your hair will look, how you ought to proceed, etc.

That is what I was drawing upon. What I wrote wasn't intended to be antagonistic.
    Last edited by Claire76; 07-16-2010 at 02:51 AM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *