Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ms-gg View Post
    I like it too

I think that is one reason why you can now find Miss Jessie's, and Jane Carter products in Target now. I wonder what exactly made Target decide to start carrying their products?

Like I said, I think it is only a matter of time before other companies start marketing their products to us if these underground products start to take off really well with the masses....I know pantene has their relaxed and natural line, and a few natural hair products like their almond mist if I am not mistaken, but other than that I don't think there are that many other mass produced lines that are targeted towards "us".

Wha???? Target??? Gotta check it out

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, gg for the thread!

In my part of Ohio, I haven't seen more women with natural hair, unless it is within my meetup group [we number 120+]. Now, if I am at my neighborhood Whole Foods, well, I might see 1 nappy @ week.

The reason why some mass retailers are carrying products for highly textured hair is because there is money to be made. Period. Perhaps this will broaden among more stores, but I guarantee you, if Miss Jessie's and Jane Carter don't see steady growth [and this is also among other ethnic groups that use their brand], it will revert to mail order/specialty store status.

Onward and upward with natural hair!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyVonn View Post
    I'm looking to support our sistas and brothas that's making these products up,(The natural ones of course) It's time to take this thang to another level and put the money back were it belongs! Back to us.

Preach sis, as a matter of fact, we should have a thread for reputable black owned natural producers because aside from the big names, they can be hard to find. I wonder if there already is one.....off to do a search.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nappturals are always popular in London, tho I'm noticing a trend for folks to perm/texturiser their children'a hair younger and younger, where America goes we follow (sadly in this score).
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

5. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalKayla View Post
    Preach sis, as a matter of fact, we should have a thread for reputable black owned natural producers because aside from the big names, they can be hard to find. I wonder if there already is one.....off to do a search.

Yus! If nothing else great comes out of this natural hair movement, I really like the fact that more black women/men are becoming entrepreneurs, trying to bring the black hair care business back into our community. I love it. If anyone wants a good read on the history of our hair, and the hair care business and how it was stolen from the black community, read, "Hair Story" by Ayana D. Byrd and Lori L. Tharps.

I mean who knows, all of could be apart of hair history. Wouldn't that be cool?

The reason why some mass retailers are carrying products for highly textured hair is because there is money to be made. Period. Perhaps this will broaden among more stores, but I guarantee you, if Miss Jessie's and Jane Carter don't see steady growth [and this is also among other ethnic groups that use their brand], it will revert to mail order/specialty store status.
    absolutely. I am curious to see if these products will stay at Target for the next few years or will it be gone just as quickly as they arrived....I bet that will play a big part in it as well.

More and more black owned underground natural hair/natural product businesses are becoming mainstream. Somebody at Lorreal, Johnson and Johnson and em' have to be taking notes....
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

7. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sentence should have read:
    I mean who knows, all of "us" could be apart of hair history. Wouldn't that be cool?
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

9. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just How Big is the Nappy Hair Movement?

Bumping because I was poking around the forum and came across this thread.

So here we are at the end of the decade. How big is the "nappy hair movement"? Dare I say it's big enough such that it's no longer a movement but just...regular-schmegular? What do y'all think?

Also: Happy Nappy New Year!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

11. Thanks Siriushair, Miss T thanked for this post
    Likes Siriushair, Miss T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#regularschmegular

Great topic food for thought.

I think it was too successful.

#sad

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    I think it was too successful.

#sad
    Yeah? Please elaborate!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's so watered down, commercialized now. The creamy crack mentality pervades and the 'mission' is missing from the majority of folk that I encounter natural. They are natural as a fad, not a mission. I used to engage in meaningful conversations when I encountered another natural. Now, I don't bother. I just look. Even with locks. I get tired of the responses:
    'I don't want locks bc I want natural hair' (le sigh), I don't like messy hair, I can't lock I'm a professional(me2 I manage a Division of 130 in a cancer center).

Am I alone?

15. Thanks OHR thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast