Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just How Big is the Nappy Hair Movement?

Giving props to Pmrannie1 for inspiring this thread based off of her blog post, "The Future of Natural Hair."

The natural hair movement is still low key and underground, with probably 80% or so of all black women still wearing their hair straight (I don't know the exact numbers people, so don't bash me upside my head lol), and lots more ditching the perm for natural hair.

Here is my question, do you think that our movement is going to get big enough in the near future or the distant future where hair care companies are going to gain enough interest to start creating products and accessories targeted towards "natural hair." Like forreal, natural hair videos get a lot of hits on youtube, a lot of product reviews get done on youtube, IMO, it is only a matter of time before these big companies get a whiff of that and start marketing "all natural petroleum jelly for your afro" type products.

What do you think? Do you think that we are still pretty much the minority of the minority and that day won't come or its only a matter of time before we are exploited for a lack of a better word?
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what, I HAVE (sorry I do not know how to italicize) been seeing a lot of African American women in commercials that have natural hair recently (Progressive commercial for instance). Granted, they were not in key roles, I have a feeling the natural movement is starting to be a little more excepted. I have also been getting compliments about my natural hair and how it is the right way to go (These compliments are coming from people with relaxed hair by the way). I think we are still a minority. Although I am not to sure about the idea of natural hair being widely accepted in the Black community, I think it will definitely increase in popularity.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are turning some heads! I'm seeing a lot of natural sistas all over, in commercials, corporate world, schools, models we're everywhere! It's going to take some times for them to catch up to us but trust and believe they are watching and calculating how much they can make if they "cater" to us. I'm looking to support our sistas and brothas that's making these products up,(The natural ones of course) It's time to take this thang to another level and put the money back were it belongs! Back to us.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say here in NYC it's going full force. I was on the train coming home today and there had to be four or more of us in the same car. I notice it a lot in Brooklyn. When I was in Harlem I noticed it too, but there seem to be more here in the BK.

Folks who've been here for longer like Maeosa and GG can let me know if what I'm noticing is accurate.

I think it's just wonderful. I really do.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see naturals everywhere! I love it! When i travel, I love to see naturals in the airports. It's freakin' awesome lol! I will agree, a lot of naturals are in commercials and I also believe they are the most focused on in commercials. In at least two commercials, I've seen the camera capture more shots of the natural, black woman vs all the other people in the commercial. I still think the natural movement is a slow moment, but it's definitely growing. When more naturals become famous (singers, actors, etc.), then being natural will become even more popular.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting topic. I think that the whole organic movement, with people trying to buy more organic foods and live a more healthy lifestyle for themselves and the earth will probably make our own natural movement grow more. I know for myself that I started reading the labels more on my products and wanting to do more good things for myself and my family and that lead me to question using relaxers and what effects it was really having on my health and on my hair. I also agree that it is a slow movement but I believe that we are making strides.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    I gotta say here in NYC it's going full force. I was on the train coming home today and there had to be four or more of us in the same car. I notice it a lot in Brooklyn. When I was in Harlem I noticed it too, but there seem to be more here in the BK.

Folks who've been here for longer like Maeosa and GG can let me know if what I'm noticing is accurate.

I think it's just wonderful. I really do.

I like it too

I think that is one reason why you can now find Miss Jessie's, and Jane Carter products in Target now. I wonder what exactly made Target decide to start carrying their products?

Like I said, I think it is only a matter of time before other companies start marketing their products to us if these underground products start to take off really well with the masses....I know pantene has their relaxed and natural line, and a few natural hair products like their almond mist if I am not mistaken, but other than that I don't think there are that many other mass produced lines that are targeted towards "us".
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eesha View Post
    This is an interesting topic. I think that the whole organic movement, with people trying to buy more organic foods and live a more healthy lifestyle for themselves and the earth will probably make our own natural movement grow more. I know for myself that I started reading the labels more on my products and wanting to do more good things for myself and my family and that lead me to question using relaxers and what effects it was really having on my health and on my hair. I also agree that it is a slow movement but I believe that we are making strides.

Absolutely. It really does go hand and hand with the organic, back to nature, go green movement that has been occurring on a more global scale.

What really sparked my interest in this topic is just the amount of women who flock to youtube to watch natural hair related videos! It is insane.
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

SassyB is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm loving this as well.

In '06-'08, my first attempt at being natural, I barely saw any black women with natural hair and received stares and stank looks quite often.
    Now I've noticed that there are a lot of women here in my city with natural hair! The other day I was at the mall and there were 3 of us in one store! Amazing!
    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." - Bertrand Russell

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the revolution is happening full force here. I live in North Carolina of all places and rarely do I leave my house and not see at LEAST one other nappy! 3 women at the school where I teach are transitioning and I went onto meetup.com and there were several natural hair groups, one with about 500 members! It's awesome...

When I first cut my hair 4 yrs ago, people did look at me strangely, but now they’re looking with interest and I can see the wheels of their mind turning.. wondering.. could I do that? Sometimes they even ask me questions, but it’s hard to break it down in one conversation since everyone’s hair is different and what works for me may not work for you. I just direct them to Nappturality!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast