Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How did you learn to make Jewelry?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering for those that make jewelry, how did you learn and how long have you been doing it?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, do you draw your designs or think of them from your head and eliminate drawing the designs?

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

youtube and tutorials online

some designs i do draw out first or i sorta mock some earrings i was inspired by or i simply freestyle as i go along

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you make those earrings in your pic? They are very, very pretty.

I would like to learn to make Jewelry. Do I need to take a course, or do I need to learn to draw Jewelry?

Any particular videos you recommend? How can I get started?

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, i didn't make those earrings

you can take a course, but it's not necessary. i mean, it also depends on what kind of jewelry are you trying to make. are you planning on creating jewelry with precious stones and gems and silversmithing? if yes, then possibly look into taking a course because it's good to be more knowledgeable using those more expensive items

however basic earring making, rings and necklaces, you can find tutorials online or in books

no you dont need to know how to draw jewelry. however it doesn't hurt to put your thoughts down on paper so you wont forget your vision

http://www.youtube.com/user/AuntiesBeads <-- is my favorite channel on tutorials. from her i've learned how to make rings, use proper closures & wire wrapping.

you can start by trying to re-create some jewelry you already own (i.e. earrings). most supplies you can get from a craft/bead store. the more you do it, the easier and cleaner your craft will look. it'll prolly look wonky at first, but you have to get your coordination down. but as soon as you master it, you'll be whipping out jewelry almost thoughtlessly.
    Last edited by KB; 07-30-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned the basics from watching youtube videos
    Join The Movement Now!!

www.vitalfusion.kyani.net

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I taught myself, its really quite simple you just gotta be creative.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started by just taking apart jewelry I already had. I pretty much taught myself 'cuz I'm too impatient to watch videos.
    [url=http://thebohobeauty.blogspot.com/]My Blog: The Boho Beauty[/url]
    [url=http://http://www.youtube.com/thebohobeauty/]The Boho Beauty on Youtube[/url]

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psalm 139:14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello !

I started making jewelry using beads and macramé since I was a child. My mother was always very creative. she used a bead loom, she sewed... and I had teenage aunts who taught me how to make friendship bracelets and weave beads. From when I was in high school I would make bracelets and necklaces for my friends and sell them.

Recently, I decided to start a small business out of my jewelry making. I decided on a few designs and started a range. I got the idea from seeing the kind of stuff my friends were buying and thinking "psht ! I can make those... I should, so they'll buy from me rather than from the market !"

My first advice would be to watch lots of videos online and if you learn better with a live instructor, it makes sense to look for a jewelry class around you. Not sure if you guys get them but I have seen some offers on the UK Groupon. Then, if the technique you are using requires tools, get them. I will NEVER regret investing in a wire jig. Finally, look for crafts fairs where you can get tools, materials, inspiration and advice.