Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey yall, can I join?

I'm trying to do some locs, i said i was going to freeform but i don't know.

i've had locs before. I had braidlocs and i latched. I did it all myself and i liked them a lot. the only reason i cut them all off was due to some migraine issues and not wanting the extra weight on my head at the time. the longest had just gotten to brastrap length.

I had lots of frizz that i made peace with. I'm always one to deal with ugly phases (locked or not) by snipping just a tiny bit off here or there to acheive a certain purposeful look (like i created this edgy almost ugly look, but something about it is too perfect to be an accident.) It made me feel better, anyway. I was about 6 months in before loc buds started to form.

My problem is that my hair comes almost nearly straight when it's wet. but i have a LOT shrinkage. the back of my head is where i have the most issue with locs, it's just very coarse and thick and nearly straight. it won't hold anything. a loc, a twist, a braid, nothing. no matter what i do to the kitchen, it always lays straight.

i thought about this this evening. I think my issue with my hair when trying to loc, and why i get so much frizz and loose hair is because when i wet my hair, it straightenes out, unraveling from the braid or twist it's in, and becomes completely aloose in most areas, and then as it dries, it coils back up outside of the loc it started out in. sometimes in another loc altogether. sometimetimes out there on it's own as a seperate unlocable strand.

I want to follow what my hair does naturally, but i don't know what it wants to do. if i let it go, i'll end up with giant knots and tangles and probably one or two giant locs. Not the look i want. when i try to put it in locs that i can deal with, she don't like that. I don't know what to do with it.

i'm thinking that larger locs is what she'll be happiest in, so that's what I'm trying to acheive right now.

does anyone use "white" methods to help aid in locking? Has anyone tried loc peppa? or, a sea saltwater spray mix? My hair i loving the saltwater spray mix.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have very soft hair as well and I have just begun my loc journey. Im trying to create a fotki album now

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel all of you... i have a softer texture as well.. and the hard thing for me is to find someone that can twist it... after it is twisted i keep it tied down... probably not the best idea but it is the only way it last...check out my 1month progress... about to add to my fotki
    Finally started 08142010
    http://public.fotki.com/mustbnice1/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMustbnice1?feature=mhum

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Patricia here
    Well I have had my locks for over 10yrs, just 2 months ago I got them cut down. I feel like my hair is extra soft and it took a lot of time for it to lock. My hair is thin and so are my locks most time people think they are small braids. Well I want to say to all the sisters whom are having a hard time with the process of your hair locking "be gentle with yourself" it will work out just give time ( time. I still have an area in the front that still takes some time to lock, even after getting my locks done by a locktician or myself. In my photo I had just took out the barrel style, which I had curls for days.
    Hugs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes my hair is very soft. Braid locks seem to be working. I initially wanted twists but for all it was matting and budding pretty quick so many strand slipped out with the washing I need to do for my scalp--I had a tangled mess on my hands. I was ripping through hair just to slide my fingers through. I really like the braid locks though.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have short curly hair. Combed out my hair is probably 2 inches. I am biracial (black and white) and have different textures i.e. straighter at the nape of the neck, kinkier at the crown, and wavier towards the front. I recently tried the comb coil method but was dissatisfied with the results and washed them out after a month and a half. I was thinking of either interlocking or braids to start my locs. Any suggestions? Would braids even work on my type of hair? I want my starter locs to be durable and not unravel, thats why Im assuming braids or interlocking would be best for my texture of hair. What are your suggestions and/or experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most important key to locking is patience. If u don't have it u will never have locs. Don't study Ur hair and play in it too much. Jus let it do Wat it needs to do and it will. I thought my hair wud never Loc and I'm in the budding stage after almost 4 months. And that's not all of my hair jus some. Jus be patient. It will happen!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

count me in =]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been locing for 4 years now...my hair is mainly soft in the front...
    I started with twists....then I started latching once they started locing a bit. To help my softer ones not come apart...I braided some of them and tied a very small knot at the end of my locs that had a hard time locing. That way worked for me...kept my locs from coming undone...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NneomaB View Post
    I just got two strand twist installed yesterday. I started with about 10 inches of natural hair...Now looks like I have 5 LOL. I believe I have about 105 or so locs, im not sure...

I went to a loctitian to get them installed...Im not gon' lie I really feel ugly. It looks so skimpy and thin.

My family is sayin, "Your hair is too good to loc". I digress, they have no clue any type of hair can loc.

Im in for the long haul, and I kno its going to take years for it to be full because my hair is so soft and fine...I want to put on a wig or something, im scared to go to work like this, or even leave my house. But Im not taking these down..They costed $135.

I keep looking at everyone else's pics for encouragemet....and I dont like to sound negative at all, but I look hideous!

If you hang in there they will grow on you. I have learned that you just have to ignore ever negative comment and remind yourself why you are doing it. I looked like a boy wen I first started 10 months ago. Because of the texture of my hair, I am only now seeing that it is paying off and I can still go through and take my locs down in a few hours lol. I swear my husband is tired of me saying I want to take them out. He has been my most encouragement and biggest fan lol. Any my dear stick with it, find different ways if you can to cope with the ugly phase because after its done its smooth sailing. Good luck and God bless

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast