Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and back on topic...lol...
    tide huh? wow and here I was worrying about SLS and silicones in my hair care products..silly ol' me..
    Black man know yourself...dont forget your past ~ Fela Kuti

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murakan View Post
    we constantly discuss challenging negative, pervasive and divisive attitudes shown towards dark skinned, tighter coily haired people on NP, can the same understanding not be shown when the concern is raised by a looser curled sister?
    (see my thread in the culture forum)...
    murakan, take all the exceptions you want, because honestly you're going to see whatever you want to see and interpret it however you want, so have fun with that.

as for the bold, you really havent read the mission statement with the explanation of why the site was started have you ? this is right on the front page, clear for any and everyone with net access to see (bolded text not my own)
    Why is the site limited to tightly coiled, highly textured Black hair?
    The reason it is limited to this hairtype is because we have found that it is the hairtype most feared and vilified in our community. It's the only hairtype we can't stay natural with for long with if we "fear the 'fro.". Napptural hair is the type labeled "bad", nappy hair that needs to be "fixed."

izatrini is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Discodumpling View Post
    I believe it...when I first went natural my cousin told me to wash my hair with Breeze (the West Indian equivilent of Tide) to make my hair uniformly nappy. I definitely DID NOT do it!
    My mother has used Breeze and nothing else for as long as I have been alive! And she calls every laundry detergent Breeze, every dishwashing liquid Squeezy and every disposable cleaning cloth a J-Cloth. LOL!

Anyway, to the OP. I don't know why someone would use Tide in their hair...what happened to shampoo, conditioner and an afro pic????
    1 year and 2 months natural and 8 months into my loc journey!

murakan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2010 View Post
    as for the bold, you really havent read the mission statement with the explanation of why the site was started have you ? this is right on the front page, clear for any and everyone with net access to see (bolded text not my own)
    the mission statement is one thing GG2010..being able to discuss issues raised by another poster in a thread is quite another..trust me I am more than familiar with the imbalance the site and its owner is trying to address, and I applaud that, fervently, something I pains to promote offline...however this doesnt exclude and prohibit discussion or questioning of attitudes displayed towards people that do not posess that hair 'type'..it is an organic process GG2010..it is all part of a bigger picture of what constructs 'black' particularly when that is juxtaposed with 'enough'..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murakan View Post
    I understand what youre saying GG2010, however what I (personally) am referring to the 'black enough' portion of that post..that is something 'apart' from a hair texture..no? You are correct that this may not be the appropriate thread for such a discussion, but this is where the quote I used was found..I dont mind moving to another thread to fully explore, and I take exception to being accused of having a 'chip on my shoulder'..what I do have 'on my shoulder' is the knowledge that as someone who has hair more in the '3's (woteva) if I said something that could be construed as disparaging about black people (who have hair in the 4s and therefore are associated by some as being 'more black') there would be an outcry...I also take exception to the fact that on here, as offline, being lighter skinned and having a looser curl must automatically equate one with being 'less' black (whether mentally OR ethnically)..by other black people..it is a fallacy..
    we constantly discuss challenging negative, pervasive and divisive attitudes shown towards dark skinned, tighter coily haired people on NP, can the same understanding not be shown when the concern is raised by a looser curled sister?
    (see my thread in the culture forum)...
    I understand and agree with your point. Let someone say they have "mixed people's hurr" or use "Mixed Chicks" products and folks are all up in arms saying there's no such thing. But folks are allowed to say that someone isn't "black enough" to have an afro so they emulate it, and it's overlook. Lord help you if you mention Type 4 folks slapping goop and twist-outing to their hands get sore so they can emulate "less black" curls...

On the other hand, I initially "overlooked" that post and didn't bother to comment. You have to understand that often those "anti-3 type" quotes come from a place of YEARS of hurt, low self-esteem and issues that folks are just now starting to TRY to get over. NP gives some folks their only outlet to vent that hurt. And it was founded for that purpose so overlook the ignorance and KIM. If those FEW comments bother you, then don't post/donate here. If they don't, overlook the ignorance and post freely here.

Besides, some folks have been with NP since its inception on Naturally Curly so they are immune to mod censorship.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are overlooking the fact that ' "black" enough'was put in quotes.
    if lbelle were on some anti-3 texture <insert nappy moutasched lbelle going mouhahahahah> tirade then she probably would have left out the quotes. also it would be the first such anti-3 texture post i would have seen her post on NP and like MissE has noted she has been on the board for a long long long long time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MissEmbrya..thank you..
    Im not about to stop posting here or visiting as for me its not about 'offence' per se..its about creating a dialogue between all of us as black women/people and exploring the issues that have led to type 4s feeling maligned by wider society and in turn type 3s feeling marginalised by their 'own'..As I said (and I believe anyone who is familiar with my postings will acknowledge) I totally understand and support the need to address and promote confidence and love in and of black women with the (traditional connotation of) 'nappy' hair..I just dont think that in doing this we have to repeat the same patterns against black women who dont have that type of hair..to challenge a thing, the thing must be challenged!
    I too 'let it slide' (largely due to what GG2010 pointed out) but then I thought if this kind of attitude continues to prevail then what have we acheived? really?
    the fallacy of being 'black' enough bugs me, on many levels..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didnt see your post prior to posting mine GG2010...
    for goodness sake, no one is accusing Lbell of being a hair facist or 'hating' women with type 3 hair etc..I was simply asking a question as I wanted to find out what SHE meant when SHE wrote that..that is why, in my initial post I did say that I was NOT jumping to any conclusions and simply asked HER without going off one!!

at no point can I see that I have acted in an unreasonable way GG2010..or that I am detracting anything from women with type 4 hair..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no edit button..I HATE using type this and that for hair btw..grrrrr..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to post again...can I add that on the 'record' at no point do I have issue with black women venting..has anyone seen any of my posts??!! or do I think that Lbell 'hates' anyone..I tend to formulate an holistic view of people (as far as I can) based on their posting history rather than leaping all over them over 1/2 isolated posts.
    also many type 3's(grrr) share the kinds of 'hurts' that MissEmbrya has described..surprising as it may seem to some!!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast