Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tired of dry locs, nothing seems to work

Maybe I exaggerated when I said nothing works because I haven't tried everything.

I spritz with plain water sometimes, but that stops moisturizing when the water drys.

I tried evoo mixed with water but my hair still feels dry.

I don't have a whole foods store near me so getting anything like Rose Water will be hard unless I order offline.

Is there something simple I could use to keep these locs feeling soft?

tip757 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I hear many talk about how glyceren(i think i spelled that wrong) works. Is that stuff found in regular grocery stores?

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glycerin works for some, but for me, it was the debil. I work in an air conditioned environment so the glycerin did the opposite and made my babies dry.

Daily H2O spritzing didn't work for my hair either. I spritz my scalp every other day with an oil mixture.

What works to keep my hair soft is avoiding harsh shampoos when washing, ACV rinses, and hot oil treatments. I do those things every time I wash my babies.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally like Jamaican Black Castor Oil. It makes my locks feel soft and moist. Here lately, I have been using Taliah Waajid's Black Earth products. The African Healing Oil is good and it smells yummy.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use a mixture of olive oil and castor oil to seal in the moisture from my AVJ spritz spiked with lemongrassoil and rosemary.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Spritz my locs with infusium 23 leave in conditioner with a few drops rosemary oil. The moisture its amazing! After I spritz, I use either ORS Natures shine spray or Oyins burnt sugar pomade to seal in the moisture.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try spritzing with water and then seal with an oil. Not just a drop or two, but enough to make a difference.

Also, are you sure your hair is dry? How different does it feel from when your hair was permed (if your hair was permed)? Sometimes I think folks forget (I know I sure did after Jheri) what natural hair is supposed to feel like. I sometimes over oil my locs because I don't like that "no product" feeling. I've been experimenting of late with little to nothing in my hair after my daily washes, and lo and behold I've realized, for me at least, a nickel sized amount of oil in my hand is all I need for my entire head of locs. They don't feel like they have any product on them, they don't feel moist, and they're definitely not wet, but when I scrunch them in my hands I don't get that scratchy "I'm thirsty" feeling from them.

Trust, I'll be using all products purchased during my pj days. I'm almost a 2 years already, and I suspect with what I have left, it'll be at least another 3 years before they're gone.

All that to say....is your hair really dry or is it that you are not accustomed to the way they feel?
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

bbrown is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that mixing water and extra virgin coconut oil seem to work for my locs when they get dry. It also helps my scalp.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may sound silly but Kinky Coily Curly Custard & Knot today gave my locs a reallllllly soft feel. I used them both together so I can't say which one did the job, but I can say that I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair that week.
    My Blog: http://locability.blogspot.com
    IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO REGISTER and VOTE; your DONATIONS are an important part of the process too. (Even those who CAN'T vote, CAN DONATE; remember MONEY TALKS!)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water only will make your hair dry if you don't seal it. Think of how your skin feels when you air dry and don't moisturize.

You could be putting in too much EVOO. Putting to much oil in your hair robs it of your natural oils. Personally, my hair doesn't care for it but you could reduce the amount you put in your hair.

Glycerin is a humectant that sucks moisture from the air onto your hair. But your environment is dry, it will do the opposite. Hence why I don't use it when indoor heaters get started again during the cold months.

Personally I use castor oil as a sealant.

Since I don't use conditioner on my locs, I do a pre-poo once a week to help my hair feel soft: I mix equal part coconut oil and coconut milk and spray it onto may hair, leave it in for an hour, then wash it out with a gentle shampoo so that it doesn't get completely washed out. HTH.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast