Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default white people tanning vs. black people bleaching?

Why is it cool for white people to tan to get a bit darker, but not for black people to bleach to get a bit lighter. Im not saying either is right or wrong, I am just wondering... most black people dont bleach to be white but to lighten some, just like Im guessing white people who tan dont tan to get black, but to darken some. Both procedures are dangerous (bleaching agents are linked to cancer etc. just like tanning is linked to cancer etc.)..but tanning is considered cool for white people to do (or even blacks, asians etc.)..but bleaching is self hate.. whether tanning or bleaching, youre still changing your color.. what do you guys think?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who said it was cool for white people to tan?

and are you talking about natural tanning outside, or in a tanning salon?

either way, tanning is something that everyone does, naturally. (except maybe those with albinism.)

bleaching...isn't.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People dont look down on them or call them self haters and its more mainstream (tanning)..and Im talking about salon and sun tanning (purposely)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

i think as coalblacklocs put it tanning can be done by any one. obviously going to a salon guarantees a tan if thats the way they want to go - but bleaching is entirely a different thing - going out of your way to lighten your skin when it wouldnt naturally go light in teh first place. I do understand some when they want to light say a blemish or something . i guess it depends on the person and how they are doing it - some i have read i have to say is rather worrying as they want to lighten by quite a lot - ive seen posts on the internet where girls are saying they are dark chocolate but wants to bleach to the shade of Halle Berry or Beyonce!!!! personally with tanning you can go back to your original colour but with bleaching i think youve damaged yoru skin from the stuff you have used on it so there can be long term reprecussions. i think theres a post of girls in the west indies bleaching thier skins to extreme and they dont care about those consequences they just want to be lighter! ;-(
    Last edited by MochaChocoChick; 08-28-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    http://public.fotki.com/OrchidRain/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grassisgreener View Post
    People dont look down on them or call them self haters and its more mainstream (tanning)..and Im talking about salon and sun tanning (purposely)
    of course not. it's accelerating something that their skin would do naturally. they are trying to create a state of themselves that occurs naturally.

are you implying that peoples of african descent have a monopoly on browned skin?

It's almost like you're saying white people to make their bodies do something it wouldn't normally do by tanning. And therefore, they are self hating their pale bodies and creating an unnaturally occuring brown shade or something.

what I'm saying to you it's not necessarily self hate if it's something their bodies naturally do under the right circumstances anyway.

for a dark person to try to create a lighter complexion is not natural and does not occure in nature without extreme circumstances....like being burried under the grown for a few months, never seeing the light of day. Even then, for some dark people, skin lightening still would not occur.

but to further take a substance that is a chemical and force the skin to lighten (for no other reason than for light skin) is not something that would occur in nature, or have any benefit.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and btw, what is your point? Here on nappturality of all places? Is it that white people tan, so black people can bleach, and all of it's all good? I just don't get the point. At least not here, where learning to learn natural self is the goal.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a backlash against the tan obsession of some white folks - ever heard the term tanorexia?

Health departments have spent years trying to correct the relatively recent association of tanned skin with health and wealth...talking about the premature aging, the sunspots, the skin cancer risk etc.

I view those white folk with artificially created brown/orange skin with just as much of a side eye as bleachers because clearly they also have issues with self-image.

Underneath it, there is the same underlying problem - these people associate skin colour with a certain status that they aspire to.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

murakan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Anaiskarim..esactly..people are ignoring social and historical context on a scale tantamount to ignorance recently..Im wondering if its a new philosophy people have decided to adopt?? foolishness 101..
    Black man know yourself...dont forget your past ~ Fela Kuti

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the only difference is that white people aren't raised being told they're too white.
    I'm ASSUMING that Black people who use bleaching creams have had some abusive things said/done to them while growing up.

White people feel they look when they tan, while Black people who bleach may feel thats the ONLY way to be considered attractive.
    Again, i'm only speculating.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^correction to earlier post: white people feel they look prettiER when they tan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast