Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To die the hair, ammonia opens the cuticle to allow for penetration of hydrogen peroxide and bleach. No matter what shade you choose, hair coloring is deposited and peroxide breaks chemical bonds in hair releasing sulfur(which is the coil bonds in the hair). When the color is gone, a new permanent color is injected in to the hair shaft. Then the cuticle is sealed with a silicone based conditioner.

Your bonds were 'released' from the chemical application and it weakened your hair and it's breaking. Sorry, cut them off.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur with the above, I coloured my locs from the beginning and one needs to be extra loving with your loc care as a result especially the ends since they are the oldest part of the hair.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoddessinlocs
    I love that dress, sure which I had it for tomorrow...going on a cruise...looks like my size? Where did you find it?
    BC August 19, 2010

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosepm View Post
    Agoddessinlocs
    I love that dress, sure which I had it for tomorrow...going on a cruise...looks like my size? Where did you find it?
    Awww shucks, it is a nice dress...but it's Netta that's wearing it... maybe we can get her to tell us
    ~MY FOTKI LOCUMENTARY~~MY YOUTUBE~

Life can be short & Life can be unfair but life can also be beautiful and full of pleasant surprises. Surround yourself with positivity, why waste our numbered days with anything else?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by netta1 View Post
    . . .Also maybe after you are done with these steps you should consider the baggy technique. Take your hair and spray the ends with water, then apply a natural oil like olive to the ends of your hair at least two inches upward, and place a plastic bag over your hair. Do this nightly to see if you can regain some moisture. You have to create a balance between moisture and protein, so that your hair is strong and moisturized. You have to feel your hair and let it tell you want it needs. If your ends are not popping off maybe they can be saved...again I wish you the best.

. . .
    I don't think you should ever color without neutralizing your hair. You have to make sure the process is done....

I am no color expert but I used to color my hair all 'de time.
    Hmm, I'm intrigued by your plastic baggy suggestion. It is winter time and my locs are taking a beating. Is this a good technique for maintenance? Just want to make sure that I'm keeping the moisture in my hair during these harsh winter months.
    Not a new poster, my original account just got lost in the move.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a minute since I've been here, but reading this post brought back memories of when I went to a "professional" natural hair salon to get my locks bleached. The bleach would not lighten my locks for whatever reason, and the stylist had the nerve to ask me, "is this your real hair?" I was pissed.
    Later on the part of my locks that she applied the bleach to begin to break off everytime I would wash my hair. Thank God, I only had a few locks in the back at the nape of my neck bleached and not my whole head. I have not tried to have my hair lightened since...but Lord I wants me some dark red locks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if henna is a safe alternative to use on locs?
    "Evil often conquers, but never triumphs."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use it on my locs and it doesn't cause any problems. Using the fine sift means it's easier to wash out.

It tends to make the hair feel dry initially, until the next wash, I think this is due to some plant resin being left in the hair. To help counteract this I put oil in my henna mix, plus use oil on my damp locs after washing.

DeBe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12