Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vacation/Job/Advice!

Question.

I am planning on going on a two week vacation in the new year. My only problem is that if I go on a two week vacation and then find another job then I will owe my current job because it is unearned time. However, what would happen if I found a job in the next 1 or two months and everything for my vacation is paid for. If I tell my future employer that I have a two week vacation planned once they hire me, will they still want to hire me or would they change their mind a bout hiring me?

A few days ago, I thought a bout planning my two week vacation during the time I got hired. It usually takes a bout a month for a person to start their new job. In between that time I can just go on my vacation. Should I just wait until I find a job in the new year? Should I start looking for work in November and December so that by the new year I would be able to go on my vacation. I really was not planning on staying at my current job for the rest of this year, but it looks like I am not going to have a choice.

Any advice, any recent experience with this?

I hope I am making sense lol. I honestly did not know how I should word this.

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are over-thinking this. If you want to plan a 2 wk vacation early in the year, just know that should you leave, you will have to pay back your employer.

If you get hired at a new job before you go on your scheduled, reserved, non-refundable vacation, you can tell your new employer that you have a pre-scheduled personal matter. Give them the specific dates and ASK if being gone for that period of time will be a problem. They'll let you know if it's a deal breaker. Of course, only bring this up AFTER you have been offered the position.

If your plans and dates are really flexible, then you could very well go on vacation in the weeks between the two jobs. This would be the best case scenario.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's is what I was planning on doing. I wanted to go between the two jobs, however I have NO IDEA when I will find another job. That would be the best case scenario. I just know I cannot be too early. I was trying to get a vacation for time off considering the fact that I have not earned the time.

I am over thinking this. Considering the fact that I know that if I do leave I won't be paying them back much anyways lol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We hired a reporter who let us know (after he was offered/accepted) the position that he had a family vacation planned for 2 or 3 weeks after he was hired. I was hired when my employer knew I would be taking 6 weeks of maternity leave withing 2 or 3 months. BUT I had no real earned leave, so I took it unpaid, which I planned. Neither of those situations was a dealbreaker. Depends on the employer. I agree with Chacha.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualME View Post
    I am over thinking this. Considering the fact that I know that if I do leave I won't be paying them back much anyways lol.
    they'd just take it out of your last check

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualME View Post
    Question.

I am planning on going on a two week vacation in the new year. My only problem is that if I go on a two week vacation and then find another job then I will owe my current job because it is unearned time. However, what would happen if I found a job in the next 1 or two months and everything for my vacation is paid for. If I tell my future employer that I have a two week vacation planned once they hire me, will they still want to hire me or would they change their mind a bout hiring me?

A few days ago, I thought a bout planning my two week vacation during the time I got hired. It usually takes a bout a month for a person to start their new job. In between that time I can just go on my vacation. Should I just wait until I find a job in the new year? Should I start looking for work in November and December so that by the new year I would be able to go on my vacation. I really was not planning on staying at my current job for the rest of this year, but it looks like I am not going to have a choice.

Any advice, any recent experience with this?

I hope I am making sense lol. I honestly did not know how I should word this.

Thanks
    Hi. I work in human resources and you are giving all of this too much thought. Simply because there is a lot that is not in your control. I would continue my job search and go on vacation. If you must pay back the time then, okay pay it back. But in my experience "unearned time and vacation" equal "leave without pay", so I don't understand where the paying back comes in. Also, during the interview process, be sure to ask the potential new employer, when do they intend to have the position filled? This question will answer everything for you. I have not known an employer to have a problem with a previous planned vacation. Sometimes it works toward the employers advantage...hope this helps.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ready4napps View Post
    But in my experience "unearned time and vacation" equal "leave without pay", so I don't understand where the paying back comes in.
    The payback is when you take paid vacation and have not accrued the time yet.

If you take 5 days paid vacation with no days accrued and leave the company, they will adjust your final paycheck to reduce it by the 5 days. The company has previously paid you for time you didn't earn. They want their money back.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most employers are understanding about this. We hired a couple of people that had paid for cruises and things before they were hired. It wasn't a problem, we knew ahead of time and got coverage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ready4napps View Post
    But in my experience "unearned time and vacation" equal "leave without pay", so I don't understand where the paying back comes in.
    Many companies will allow you to take paid leave that you haven't actually accrued yet, on the understanding that if you leave before accruing that time, it will be deducted from your final check.
    Challenge Yourself.
    My Fotki: Becoming Natural Password: AuNaturel