Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Golliwog dolls

How do you feel about golliwog dolls?

Younger persons may not know about these but as a person who grew up with Enid Blyton books, I knew about golliwogs. They featured prominently in her tales - the Noddy books in particular. As a child it never dawned on me that the golliwogs were always the bad guys, and I never made the link between golliwogs and me.

I recently googled Enid Bylton to find out that recent versions of her books replace golliwogs with goblins. ( I guess goblins don't have activists yet)

I do recall once going to visit my best friend at university's parent in Glasgow and her mom, who is the sweetest person and always asks after me to this day, had a golliwog doll sitting on a loveseat in the foyer. It's the first time I saw it in a different light and I felt uncomfortable. Apparently golliwogs are considered collectible antique toys and are sought after.

Here's a relatively recent news item.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gs-window.html
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not checked this but the golliwog is based on a caricature of black people and has a racist history is this correct? If so then I will continue to find golliwog dolls offensive. They are popular with a certain generation of English people due to the Enid Blyton saga who was a product of her time. I know of no black person who has ever looked like a golliwog doll. I don't think our society is ready to 'embrace' racist images as cultural artifacts (white hoods, the swatiska etc, maybe it will take a several generations or never.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwogg
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I find sex shops offensive, I find cabbage patch dolls offensive, but I wouldn't report them.

The difference is that sex shops don't have dildos in the window, LOL. I wonder why cabbage patch dolls are offensive to her?
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no clue what they are. I had to Goolge them.

Those are some funny-looking, ugly dolls.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm totally not feeling those dolls.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i read enid blyton books (and LOVED them) as a kid. I knew what a golliwog looked like then and have learnt since what it represents. I'm not exactly offended by the collectibles and their presence in books and I find it interesting that they have now been replaced with goblins in blyton's books.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That shopkeeper needs to realize that what was not offensive years ago may no longer fly today, kind of like the Tintin in Congo book. Speeking of which I need to reread it to so if it's as offensive is it is said to be.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

mariajay is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they are collectable items and there's are a lot of memorabiia in circulation. My mum recently attended a charity sale where she retrieved a book from a rubbish bin, by Agatha Christie, with a golliwog on the front cover. The title also has the N word in it. Apparently the book was thrown away because someone was offended by it. Can't tell you the amount of times, growing up i was called a wog (short for golliwog) or heard BP being labeled this by white folks, so yes this has negative connotations for me and many others i know.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What upsets me about most about this is that the woman said that the golliwogs were a top seller in her store. Meaning that people either don't know the history behind such things or don't care because they think they are "cute". Those dolls are disgusting and atrocious. Here in the states we have the "Sambo" and "Aunt Jemima" caricatures. My mother and I have been collecting dolls, ads, whatever we can find with these types of images. For us, this part of our history, even though demeaning, stereotypical, and racist, it belongs to us. I am really upset about this...I can't even complete my thoughts upon it. I'll come back later.
    If you're nappy and you know it say AMEN!!!

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first came to Australia 20 years ago, they had Golliwog cookies in the supermarkets. They were chocolate of course.

They didn't deem it as offensive. I did. So I (and lots of others) wrote letters to Arnotts and complained and made a ruckus until they did something about it. They eventually renamed them Scalliwag and then discontinued the entire line.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast