Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't gotten on the whole natural kick so I really don't have anything to compate it to. I know my hair is healthy and loves what I put in it & its cheap store bought products.

Although kimmay tubes leave in is about the best I've dealt with (Even though the version I use isn't all natural is just motions leave in with oils & aloe vera)

I'm going to look up some home made conditioners and deep conditioners, because i was looking at the ingredients on the store bought one i use and it seems like the ingredients are pretty attainable. (Other than the 'bad' ones)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sorry but what is well trained hair?

And i'll tell you like i tell everyone who ask me this direct or on the net. Do you. Buy what you want. Just because people rave about a certain product does mean you have to get it. Good forbid it be a very expensive product that you scrimp and save to get only to find out it does do a dang thing for you.
    While its good to get product recs and such it honestly doesnt matter because what works for some may not work for others. SO if there is something out there you want to try then go head. You need to be concerned not with what others are using but rather find the products that work for your hair. Your hair doesnt care that you paid $30 for xyz or 88 cents for something else. Its only going to respond to what it likes.

I myself have used a varitety of things during my journee from Suave, to Herbal Essences to Shea Moisture and Kinky Curly. Ive learned that less is more and that while people rave about things such as EVOO, ACV rinses and hot oil treatments, my hair hates every last one of those. Ive also learned that all natural products like Shea and Kinky work best for me because my hair does not like sulfates, petroluem and cones.

So what I usually tell people is, i dont care what you use but its best to avoid products with beeswax, petroleum, alcohol, mineral oil and i feel like im forgetting one more, but you get the gist.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NuNique View Post
    Hmm... I think the best answer is whatever works....works. I love using natural, homemade products on my hair, but that doesn't mean that I shun commercial products either. The products I use to moisturize my hair are a mix of commercial and homemade. I shampoo and deep condition with commercial products. Albeit those products are organic and not what you would find in the beauty supply store ( I get mine from Walmart or Online), however it's what works for me. If it works for you or them then by all means you should stick with it.
    I don't personally know of any other way other than trial and error to find what works for my hair. I have had to go through a series of trials in order to get it right. This being because what may have worked for a natural with a similar hair type to mine, did not necessarily work for me. I read reviews and try to find out as much information as possible about how people have used and liked/disliked particular products.
    I think some store bought products with supposedly bad ingredients maybe...could be used without causing damage. There is no 100% sure thing in the natural or commercial world that will or will not cause damage. Just because a particular ingredient in a product, like mineral oil for instance, may be bad for some naturals on this board, it doesn't mean it's bad for everyone. For whatever reason, whether it's health related,financial or just personal preference, they have no problems using that particular product.
    By no means is "mixing" always necessary. It depends on the person. I personally choose to mix a majority of my products because I like to know what goes into my hair and I like having that type of control. Whereas using a lot of commercial products may not yield the same results, that doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with that.
    I say if it works for YOU, then by all means, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    WOW, I co-sign on everything you said here I feel exactly the same way, and I hope the information you provided will help our Natural sista.
    Learning to love my hair and my self more, and not let the world define me!
    LOVE PEACE AND HAIR GREASE!!!!

~Bela

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever works for your hair is what works for your hair. I know that plenty of people can work with regular beauty supply store products and thats great for them. There's a beauty supply on damn near every corner so you never have to look far. If my hair likes something then I love it but those products always left my hair dry. I do the natural thing.

I don't like to pay a lot for hair care products. I buy my coconut oil from the grocery store and get a 16oz bottle for like $4 and I'm still using the same stuff from like 3 months ago. Depending on where I buy glycerin from its $3-$8. Shea butter is like $5 for a huge jar that lasts me 2 months or so. The most expensive thing I buy is Yes To Carrots shampoo. I recently stocked up cuz they appear to be changing the ingredients list and it took me forever and 3 days to find. and that's $8. I think overall I pay about the same as when I was relaxed because I'm buying more in bulk. I spent way more money buying the shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, moisturizer and oil when I was relaxed b/c I ended up with small bottles and ran thru them quickly. I was in the store like every month replenishing something.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must do what makes YOU and your hair happy. Everything is not always for everyone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One woman's moisturised is another woman's greasy and weighed down.

One woman would view somewhat crunchy hair as an acceptable tradeoff for the ultimate curl definition whereas even the smallest bit of crunchiness is a no-no for another.

A person with fine hair might adore a little protein now and then and a person with coarse hair will avoid it like the devil.

Really, this is why product recommendations are a crap shoot.
    "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about real natural hair vs. store bought natural looking weaves, hair pieces etc. And here I was thinking I was about to add to my clip on afro-puff collection.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the advice in this thread. I am new to being natural and I have been wrecking my brain on the proper products to use so much to the point I almost gave up. So thanks again.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valuetruth View Post
    when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was going to be about real natural hair vs. Store bought natural looking weaves, hair pieces etc. And here i was thinking i was about to add to my clip on afro-puff collection.
    lol me too!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use whatever works for my hair! I use products with mineral oil and petroleum sometimes and my hair seems to like it! Everyone raved about one product and I tried it and my hair HATED this stuff. I'm learning to use what my hair likes.
    Hair Texture: 4a/3c, fine, low porosity
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/princesasosweet
    Blog: http://naturallytextured.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast