Thread: Dry, dry locs!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question: I have naturally thick hair. I live in the Caribbean where is mostly hot. Would it affect my hair much if I cleanse and retwist weekly? My hair also grows out pretty fast.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should try cleo cartel's doctor locks...look on www.yummigoodz.com
    her products are all natural and it is the TRUTH!!! Let me know what you think...also stay away from products that have beeswax and alot of chemicals..always stay natural.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*buuuuuump*

i am actually considering taking down my locs because of the dryness. they refuse to retain moisture. a deep conditioner did not really work. castor oil does not work. any other suggestions? TIA
    ~Ghanaian princess~
    My Loc Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could also be diet. I find that when I am taking care of myself, my hair needs little maintainance. If I'm going crazy eating junk and not drinking a lot of water, no matter how much oil or daily spritzes I put in it it dries out and my scalp is a mess. I'm not a doctor, but I've seen a correlation.

5. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeousKinkz View Post
    *buuuuuump*

i am actually considering taking down my locs because of the dryness. they refuse to retain moisture. a deep conditioner did not really work. castor oil does not work. any other suggestions? TIA

Hey, just checked your blog. You're only a few months in so maybe it will still take some trial and error to see what works for your hair. I'm about 2.5 months in and I usually moisturize with coconut oil. Yeah, sometimes they feel dry, but I'm trying to be patient to find what works. I tried castor oil, but didn't like the results. I will try a water/glycerin spritz w/some oil next. I know what's said about glycerin in colder weather, but a blog on the Oyin website made me feel a bit more comfortable about it - of course they're trying to sell stuff too, but I'll still try some homemade spritz.

I wash 1x a week with herbal essences clarifying shampoo and acv about 1x a month. I don't use conditioner.
    Stay encouraged. You're still early in the journey.
    My album

password: gemela

7. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*buuuuuump*

If you are a newbie you hair could be getting used to the process give it some more time. BTW how is your diet/water intake? How often do you spritz, what are you washing your hair with? Tried any hot oil treatments? Locing can be trial and error till you find what works. Your hair will not be as 'greasy' as when it was permed. Just checked your blog does Tresemme contain alcohol? That dries the hair as well. You could also be sensitve to products that contain SLS - another drying factor.
    Last edited by Denny; 12-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

9. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venetter View Post
    Hey, just checked your blog. You're only a few months in so maybe it will still take some trial and error to see what works for your hair. I'm about 2.5 months in and I usually moisturize with coconut oil. Yeah, sometimes they feel dry, but I'm trying to be patient to find what works. I tried castor oil, but didn't like the results. I will try a water/glycerin spritz w/some oil next. I know what's said about glycerin in colder weather, but a blog on the Oyin website made me feel a bit more comfortable about it - of course they're trying to sell stuff too, but I'll still try some homemade spritz.

I wash 1x a week with herbal essences clarifying shampoo and acv about 1x a month. I don't use conditioner.
    Stay encouraged. You're still early in the journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    If you are a newbie you hair could be getting used to the process give it some more time. BTW how is your diet/water intake? How often do you spritz, what are you washing your hair with? Tried any hot oil treatments? Locing can be trial and error till you find what works. Your hair will not be as 'greasy' as when it was permed. Just checked your blog does Tresemme contain alcohol? That dries the hair as well. You could also be sensitve to products that contain SLS - another drying factor.
    Thanks guys. I decided to calm down and stick with it. Going to switch up my products and see how it goes. Denny, Tresemme does contain alcohol.. I think I will need to make this my summer product because it works well then but isn't doing anything for me now. I'll try the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Shampoo and a hot oil treatment with more spritzing.
    ~Ghanaian princess~
    My Loc Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I decided to calm down and stick with it. Going to switch up my products and see how it goes. Denny, Tresemme does contain alcohol.. I think I will need to make this my summer product because it works well then but isn't doing anything for me now. I'll try the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Shampoo and a hot oil treatment with more spritzing.
    Yep sometimes hair needs a separate winter regimen especially in the British winter that chills ya bones! All you still have snow up there?
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

12. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Yep sometimes hair needs a separate winter regimen especially in the British winter that chills ya bones! All you still have snow up there?
    Cool... Hmm. I barely figured out my summer regimen, now I gotta figure out a winter one? Oy vey LOL.

We still have snow. The pavements don't have snow anymore.. they have ICE. It's ridiculous. Can't wait to go on holiday to sunny Ghana
    ~Ghanaian princess~
    My Loc Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Himmy!!!

Question, do you need to put a preservative in this spritz
    and do you spritz daily or just weekly?

I had been using a braid sheen spray as I believe my hair likes to be moisturized regularly. However, the spray had a lil too much protien. so I would then use it e'ry other day. I decided that I want to use as much natural products as I can, so I purchased some AVJ and castor oil and tea tree oil. Just haven't used it yet because I just retwisted on Thursday and kinda wanted to make sure it "set".

the problem I am having is that I think the eco styler gel I am using is causing my itches, so I am also thinking about using AVG to do my retwist - I was seriously considering using it mixed with shea butter so it will not look too dry.

I know that less is more - just trying to figure out what my less will consist of...

as always THANKS for any advise!!

Quote Originally Posted by Himmy View Post
    I use it in my spritz after I wash my locz. I'll spritz my babies with a mixture of aloe vera juice, coconut oil, jojoba oil and spring water (I don't rinse afterward). My babies really, really love the combination.

OP, I do a hot oil treatment everytime I wash my hair. For some...oil doesn't work...for me my babies can not do with out it. My hair stays soft for days....
    [URL="http://public.fotki.com/sacrificeone/"][/URL]

[I]if you want peace in the midst of chaos you must create it yourself[/I]

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast