Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dry Locs Help

I too have had extremely dry hair lately. I have done acv rinses, water spritz, clarifying shampoos and I am a olive oil fool lol. I've even tried drinking extra water. Any other suggestions?
    [[url]http://www.flickr.com/gp/16890569@N05/F1W9y9][/url]

Locked since August 2002 and luvin' ur'vy minute

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by temari View Post
    I too have had extremely dry hair lately. I have done acv rinses, water spritz, clarifying shampoos and i am a olive oil fool lol. I've even tried drinking extra water. Any other suggestions?
    Of the items you listed all of them can be drying with the exception of water if it is sealed with oil properly. While Olive oil does penetrate the hair, it acts as a strengthener, nutrient and sealant, not a moisturizer.

I highly recommend a good water based (not oil based) conditioner after shampooing followed with a lighter less protein rich oil like jojoba or Argan. Here is a link to a post I wrote about conditioning locs my blog.

3. Likes Lockolatte liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could anyone suggest a good conditioner that is easy to dilute, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a kidney (like, less than $10 a bottle--strict budget college student here), that can be found in most stores (living in the middle of southcentral Nowhere, VA) that I can use?

My hair has closed pores, and repels most oils. All I use to need was aloe juice and sealed with castor oil, but now that my locs are 2 years old and more mature and it's winter, they are seeming to be rather crispy lately.

I tried using Treseme conditioner and my hair was really loving that, but I notice some build up and it seems like it doesn't dilute well. I pulled out my big guns to get the build up out (afraid to say here exactly what my Big Guns are, i might get a whipping) , and it worked, but now my locs are dry and I don't know what to put on them that won't cause build up.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 12-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.

5. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and I have always hated the smothering feel of glycerin based products on my skin. It sits on top of my hair and gets on everything my hair touches, my face, my neck and hands, and it just gives this horrible smothered coated feel and I hate it...I guess I am willing to give it one more try, because I've never tried it on locs this mature, maybe they would soak it in a little better, but I was really hoping for some sort of easy-to-find-and-pay-for conditioner.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 12-05-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might adding a very light oil to a bottle of diluted Suave conditioner work for you?

If there is a Trader Joe's somewhere in your vicinity, I love their NourishSpa conditioner. I haven't noticed any buildup from it, and it's pretty cheap, under $4.
    DNA's double helix design - ingenious.
    A spring coil's power & momentum - amazing.
    The gift of nappy hair.....see a pattern emerging? :-)

8. Thanks coalblacklocs thanked for this post
    Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some suave conditioner. Would I dilute that then add the oil? My hair doesn't accept many things easily, and it kinda.....laughs at suave conditioner. I mean, it does work a little bit. I guess it's worth a try.

It really bums me out that treseme caused buildup, because my hair really was accepting it and loving it. Maybe i'll try one more time at diluting it some more. I went and got some glycerin too, so I'll do some experimenting.

I would be ok with ordering a conditioner, I just can't see myself spending $20+ on a conditioner, once you add in the shipping. My mama ain't raise me that way. She raised me cheap.

There is no trader joe's around here, but if it's a conditoner that's under $10, and it has really good reviews from other coarse/closed cuticle loced nappies, I'm willing to order some.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ How about Infusium23?? I've heard it works great with dreadlocked hair

11. Thanks coalblacklocs thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, I've heard of that. I'll look for some.

Right now, I tried diluting a tiny bit of treseme conditioner in a spray bottle of aloe juice, then I sealed with a mixture of mainly castor oil mixed with a little bit of glycerine. It doesn't have that smothered feeling and is keeping the moisture in ok so far. Not the best, (it was much better when i used a bit more conditioner) but better than it was.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some great suggestions here, still relevant today - This thread will be left pinned indefinitely to be able to help others.

Meanwhile I will add that never use glycerin on locs. Your locs will feel moisturized for a short time, before drying out badly. Glycerin draws moisture to itself and if it can't find that moisture in its environment eg: humidity, surface water, it will pull moisture out of your hair to itself.

And, steamers are the best thing ever. Get one.

14. Thanks natural-gal thanked for this post
    Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dry, dry locs!

Water, Jojoba oil, followed by a few drops of peppermint oil!

(This is actually my favorite combination!)
    Last edited by rootsbynature; 07-27-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    R o o t s

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789