Thread: Dry, dry locs!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheleski68, what do u recommend? 365 AVG?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just used Jamaican Black Castor Oil last week because I heard so many rave reviews about it. I mixed it with my aloe vera gel and used that mix to twist and palm roll my hair after I washed it. I my hair is soft and moisturized and I haven't had to put anything on it for several days to moisturize it. A little goes a long way, so I know my bottle will last for quite a long time. It was worth the money!
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
    I noticed FOE gel was different than pure AVG that you can eat. If you notice dryness, it might be bc the preservative in it are alcohol based. I switched to an organic version bc the preservatives are healthy and 'edible' as opposed to carcinogenic.

*merged for similar content that could help OPs
    How are the two contents similar? I am asking about hair conditioning/treatment in a certain type climate whilst the OP is focusing on gels to twist her grandmothers hair??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LilShortRib View Post
    I just used Jamaican Black Castor Oil last week because I heard so many rave reviews about it. I mixed it with my aloe vera gel and used that mix to twist and palm roll my hair after I washed it. I my hair is soft and moisturized and I haven't had to put anything on it for several days to moisturize it. A little goes a long way, so I know my bottle will last for quite a long time. It was worth the money!
    I have heard loads about castor oil and have gone the oil route but dont know what I am doing wrong as I wash, sometimes condition and then when I put a dash of oil on my hands and slick it through each lock my hair just feels greasy :-S

I need something that will seal the water in when my hair is slightly damp because the wintery months are here in London

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by empresstigerlily View Post
    How are the two contents similar? I am asking about hair conditioning/treatment in a certain type climate whilst the OP is focusing on gels to twist her grandmothers hair??

Moisture/Dryness/Conditioning ... when the winter season comes a calling, these questions always come to the board. You could learn from the feedback in the first post to solve your similar problem which is nourishment to keep moisture in your hair. You stated that you did not like oils-well avg FEEDS your hair nourishment(the right kind) and sealing it in with an emollient would KEEP it in your hair. Your ques. may be worded differently; but it's ultimately the same issue: What to do about dry hair.hth

Specific answer to ingredients and How to Use them:

SFS©
    Soften-The cuticle with AVJ or purified water
    Feed-The cortex with nourishing oil
    Seal-The cuticle with a heavy oil/emollient like castor oil

Any organic AVG that needs to be refrigerated is the best. Stay away from Benzoic Acid preservatives and look for Sodium Benzoate and Vit C that are in most refrigerated versions and you will be better off.
    Last edited by cheleski68; 09-18-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try organic castor oil, not drug store grade and Chocolattes advice. I just use a quarter sized amount throughout my head.
    Last edited by cheleski68; 09-20-2010 at 03:38 PM.

7. Thanks Nikib4eva thanked for this post
    Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by empresstigerlily View Post
    I have heard loads about castor oil and have gone the oil route but dont know what I am doing wrong as I wash, sometimes condition and then when I put a dash of oil on my hands and slick it through each lock my hair just feels greasy :-S

I need something that will seal the water in when my hair is slightly damp because the wintery months are here in London
    IMO this is way too much castor oil. All you need is a tiny amount for your whole head, not each lock. I rinse/wash my hair, put my hair back in a pony, then take a dime size of JBCO rub it in my hands and apply it to my ends first. Then I might put the oil that is left over on my hands on the length of my hair. You don't need a lot.

9. Thanks Nikib4eva thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LilShortRib View Post
    You're saying your mature locs feel soft? I've been looking around and trying to get a sense of if I will have to give up the feel of soft hair to have locs. When people are talking about dry locs do they mean that when the locs are dry they feel coarser just like loose nappy hair?
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

11. Thanks Nikib4eva thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
    Water? It depends. Is your water hard? If it is, it's leaving mineral deposits on your hair, which can eat at your hair and make it dry and hard.

Do the SFS technique© that I teach in my workshops
    Soften-Aloe Vera Juice
    Feed-A Nourishing Vegetable, lipid rich oil(olive oil)
    Seal-Castor oil

I cant speak on those products bc Im into ingredients, like I just mentioned. It cuts down on the product junkism and unecessary toxins and chemicals thats in so many commercial products.
    I have a question for you. Can you "feed" or "seal" the hair with cod liver oil?
    I have a bottle of SevenSeas that I couldn't stand to swallow. It doesn't smell the best, but can it be used?
    Last edited by cheleski68; 09-20-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    IMO this is way too much castor oil. All you need is a tiny amount for your whole head, not each lock. I rinse/wash my hair, put my hair back in a pony, then take a dime size of JBCO rub it in my hands and apply it to my ends first. Then I might put the oil that is left over on my hands on the length of my hair. You don't need a lot.
    Ahh ok will try that today. Ta

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast