Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sweets!!!

Been using Infusium since it's gotten hot!
    Using ORS loc gel - it smells like watermelon!
    My hair does have a tendency to get FRIZZY!
    I found once I ACV'd my hair responds better!! I wanna do a hot oil treatment - my hair is LOCKED fully - and I'm super excited about that!

I need to come here more often and do more research!
    *ugh* I been SUPER LAZY!!

love yall!!

Quote Originally Posted by Himmy View Post
    Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for not responding to this message like 3 months ago. Didn't notice it here....

Just in case Lady Sacrificeone is still interested or just in case anyone else is interested:

Whether to spritz daily or weekly is entirely up to your babies. Listen to them...they will tell you what they want. I had to stop doing water/aloe vera juice spritzes because my hair is prone to frizzing. My hair didn't handle it well...and it caused my hair to dry out.

If you're going to use anything in your spritz that is prone to souring...like aloe vera juice (at least mine did) a preservative is definitely the way to go (unless you keep the spritz in the frig.). A good preservative is vitamin E. It's natural and chemical free. Can't beat that. You can just add a couple of drops to your bottle. If you want to go real cheap like me (cuz vitamin E can be expensive) add sweet almond oil. SAO contains vitamin E naturally and works the same.

Caution with the shea butter sis. I use it on occasions to do my hot oil treatments...but I clarify A LOT! Shea butter could eventually cause major build up. Try using sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or olive oil to mix it with your aloe vera gel.
    [URL="http://public.fotki.com/sacrificeone/"][/URL]

[I]if you want peace in the midst of chaos you must create it yourself[/I]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi KnottyAuthor,

My locks are approaching 7 years and I have always had an issue with dryness. Could be negligence on my part as well.

I have an aloe vera plant growing and I don't use it.

I would like to try the SFC technique you mentioned.

How often should I soften with aloe vera gel? Can I blend the plant gel with distilled water?

How often should I nourish with the oil? Should this be done after softening?

When should i apply the castor oil?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a loc newbie and my hair has been SUPER dry since the first time I washed it after I started my loc journey. I've been natural for over 6 years and I knew how to care for my loose hair but this is something totally different! I was told not to use conditioner during this stage so my twists won't unravel so that's not helping. My hair loves butter but I've been avoiding those bc of the buildup. I've been misting my hair with a conditioning spray and using an oil blend and my hair STILL seems dry. I was thinking maybe it's the mango and lime twist gel that I'm using. Has anyone else experienced drying with it? I was thinking of perhaps adding a lil oil to it when I twist my hair... Is that ok? Please help and thanks!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the method..*if you have any specific questions, pls inbox me for a quicker response.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    Moisture/Dryness/Conditioning ... when the winter season comes a calling, these questions always come to the board. You could learn from the feedback in the first post to solve your similar problem which is nourishment to keep moisture in your hair. You stated that you did not like oils-well avg FEEDS your hair nourishment(the right kind) and sealing it in with an emollient would KEEP it in your hair. Your ques. may be worded differently; but it's ultimately the same issue: What to do about dry hair.hth

Specific answer to ingredients and How to Use them:

SFS©
    Soften-The cuticle with AVJ or purified water(yes, u can mix, but water has to be purified, no tap(distillates and mineral deposits)
    Feed-The cortex with nourishing oil(tsp in AVJ mix with drops)essential oils
    Seal-The cuticle with a heavy oil/emollient like castor oil

Frequency is up to you. Twice a day can do it until moisture retention achieved, then every other day..for maintenance

Any organic AVG that needs to be refrigerated is the best. Stay away from Benzoic Acid preservatives and look for Sodium Benzoate and Vit C that are in most refrigerated versions and you will be better off.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by virgogirl View Post
    I'm a loc newbie and my hair has been SUPER dry since the first time I washed it after I started my loc journey. I've been natural for over 6 years and I knew how to care for my loose hair but this is something totally different! I was told not to use conditioner during this stage so my twists won't unravel so that's not helping. My hair loves butter but I've been avoiding those bc of the buildup. I've been misting my hair with a conditioning spray and using an oil blend and my hair STILL seems dry. I was thinking maybe it's the mango and lime twist gel that I'm using. Has anyone else experienced drying with it? I was thinking of perhaps adding a lil oil to it when I twist my hair... Is that ok? Please help and thanks!
    Yea its the same thing with me excalty

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when I was having dryness issues . This thread and others on the board really helped cure them! For me, it was important to first strip the hair of any old product, oil or buildup. I did this with the baking soda/acv/lemon juice/sea salt tutorial going around on the board that chescaleigh created. it was amazing! I shampooed with very diluted dr. Bronners soap which further deep cleansed. then, the thing that made the most difference was the use of Jamaican black castor oil and aloe Vera gel! That was over a week ago and my hair still feels amazing! Those two products are my new 2 staples. I ordered the Jamaican black castor oil from amazon and it took only 3 days to arrive standard shipping. I see a huge difference between it and standard castor oil.
    5 years Nappy, 4 Years Sisterlocked! Never going back!
    http://www.fotki.com/thefineprint

8. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use one part rose water and one part vegetable glycerin. My locs and my scalp feels great.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm coming up on my first winter with locs and all of me is prone to dryness in winter. My skin is loving shea butter and my loose hair loved olive/corn oil mixes for the winter and whipped shea butter. How likely is whipped shea butter mixed with some other oils to cause buildup?
    Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used against you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think shea butter plus locs = buildup or at least great potential for buildup
    Why not use the oils without the butter?
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

12. Likes Nikib4eva liked this post
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast