Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O no! I'm sorry this happened to you sis, That hot comb will damage ya.. I tell ya. I agree with ChaCha check out our hot comb/heat thread. Good luck sweetie.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, I'm sorry
    My bangs wouldn't curl back when I flat ironed for an event this summer, but I didn't cut the hair off. Treat it carefully, low manipulation and detangle with your fingers. Wash, deep condition, and keep up with protein treatments. The texture is back to normal, I'm not straightening again though, the hair just frizzed up anyway. Good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DITTO with the rest...I am so sorry this happened to you. Once hair is damaged, all the treatments in the world won't change it back, regardless of the brand. Some products might give the appearance and feel that it's repaired, but it's really not.
    To get rid of it, you will have to cut it, but IT WILL GROW BACK. Take this experience as a lesson learned, do better with the knowledge you've gain, and move on. HUGS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard that the texture can come back after a few washes, so I don't think that you should just chop it all off. I've also heard that beer can help bring back the texture, although I'm not sure that it works. Just take it as a lesson learned.
    I feel so FREE being naturally ME!
    Last relaxer: Sept. 2, 2007
    100% natural: Feb. 2009
    Current length: APL
    Hair type: 4b

mikou is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't want to cut it all off, you could cut part if off and do a deep protein treatment to help strengthen it. Give it more time to grow out. I've been where you are and ended up wearing braids (with extensions) to grow it out. Every time I took off the braids, I would give myself a healthy trim and wear it in buns for a week before I braided it up again.

If you do go that route, just make sure the braids are not tight, so you don't end up with thinning hair.

Other options would be to cut off part and do bantu knot outs to blend the texture of the natural roots and the damaged part.

Good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know your hair better than anyone else...give it some time and see what happens. If it doesn't work out you can always bc and start over again, and you will know what to avoid next time around.
    I am my hair and my hair is me, God gave it to me the way he wanted it to be, so I am here now sporting it, for the rest of the world to see! NiceNapLady

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely feel your pain.... I let my stylist talk me into letting her press a portion of my hair in order to leave it loose with a sew in weave. ( was wearing this style my last few months of pregnancy) wish I wouldn't have done it though. Now some of it is still straight. I'm not ready to cut it off yet so I'm just using rods on that small portion and wearing two strand twist outs and kinky curly other times. Good luck on whatever you decide to do
    Last chemical fire cream: 21 July 2009 :)
    BC: 20 December 2009
    http://public.fotki.com/NoMoreRelaxer2009/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone. I got it chopped down to 1 inch. Now, I'm back on the right path.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kchorne View Post
    Thank you everyone. I got it chopped down to 1 inch. Now, I'm back on the right path.
    Congrats on your chop...and back on course. Many Blessings
    I am my hair and my hair is me, God gave it to me the way he wanted it to be, so I am here now sporting it, for the rest of the world to see! NiceNapLady

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you have burned your hair (we call it burnlaxing) Once your hair is burnlaxed, it is damaged permanently. Eventually it will break off so you would be better off either cutting it off or transitioning again. If the damaged hair is all through your hair you may be able to disguise it by wearing twists and styles that blend them together, but eventually the damaged hair will break off regardless of the styles.

This is why we don't advocate any form of heat straightening on Nappturality. Sorry you had to find out the hard way, like so many of us have

I am going to close this and move it to the hotcomb/blowdry archive forum.

ETA. I just saw you big chopped. Congrats on your new start!
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12