Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pressing Comb Ruined My Hair

I went to the salon to get my hair pressed. I wore it pressed for a week and decided to wash it. I don't wear my hair straight, I wear it in a fro, or a high puff. I noticed that my hair didn't revert and it felt kinda funny wet. So Since then, I've noticed a lot of shedding. I have used protein treatments and have tried to cut the straight hairs off. Problem is...the straight hairs are all over my head starting near the scalp. The ends of my hair don't feel quite the same..they feel hard and brittle. I have learned my lesson through this mistake of getting my hair pressed. I think I will have to start over again and do a BC. Can somebody lend me some advice please?

2. Likes PamelaKnight liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so sorry for your hair troubles. It sounds like you may have heat damage and I am not sure there is a magic cure to fix that. I have seen lots of threads on here about that. Some people said alot of washing, deep conditioning a moisture may help to encourage your natural texture to come back. However if it is heat damge there may not be much you can do to help that.
    I am not my hair...but I damn sure aint anyone else's either. 100% real

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defintely sounds like heat damage and pressing is worst than flat ironing but both can really be horrendous without some type of thorough heat protectant. I am sorry to hear about your damage... we live and learn... Some people say a ACV treatment and several deep conditioning treatments sometimes help.. but others (most) believe it has to be cut off to prevent further damage to the healthy hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish all natural haired women would come to the realization that just because one natural can safely press/flat iron their curls does not mean that you can. Everyone's hair is different and heat damage can happen in one pass of the hot comb. It is really playing Russian Roulette every time one tries to straighten their hair. Even with a heat protectant I would not straighten my hair out.
    The only way to fix heat damage is to cut it off. Take this as a lesson learned.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all. Its a lesson learned "the hard way". Now, I have to muster up the courage to cut it all off. Once I cut it all off..then what? I don't want to cut it all off and sport a Caesar. Any other options?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kchorne View Post
    Thanks to all. Its a lesson learned "the hard way". Now, I have to muster up the courage to cut it all off. Once I cut it all off..then what? I don't want to cut it all off and sport a Caesar. Any other options?
    When I had heat damage ( pressed/flat ironed my hair for 12-13 years consistently) and decided to grow my hair out I did flat twist outs. I would co wash and then flat twists at night then took them down in the morning. Rollersetting the hair can also be done. Maybe try two strand twists and see if they can hold. I worked between rollersetting and flat twists outs until I became comfortable enough to cut it off.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kchorne View Post
    You can always transition too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a lady in the coffeeshop the other day that had the same issue. she pressed for a wedding, and the back came back the same texture, but the front looked a mess, I guess b/c she wanted it to lay flat and pressed it harder.

Anyway, she said whatever you do, dont press. I wasn't planning on doing it anyway, but man. That hurt me and it wasn't even my hair.

Maybe do twist and braids for a whle and see what happens. I wouldn't cut it off again unless I couldnt salvage any of it for sure.
    Loving my hair is loving my creator

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*HUGS* Im so sorry you have heat damage! I hope there is some hair that can be salvaged but if not have courage, it will grow back!

12. Thanks Abby thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast