Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say before all that have a mindset that your hair is not going to conform always to your will and that this process is not fast. As time goes you will love your new locks wanting to know all there is to know about them. So much information out there you may feel overwhelmed. I say let your spirit of what you are feeling about locking be your guide. :-) Good luck and may blessings on your journey.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two reputable locititians that I know personally and have used their services:

Cynthia 212-221-5200 X5225 (Midtown)
    Sabine 718-789-2673 (Brooklyn) - also has a website: "Sabine's Hallway."
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats sis!!!

a)For the people that did interlocking, how come you chose that method
    b) For the people that chose palm rolling, how come you chose

I started out with interlocking because folks told me I wouldn't have to tighten my roots as much. I switched over to twisting because the knots from interlocking slid down the shaft of my loc and because circumstances beyond my control forced me to maintain my own hair and I didn't want to interloc anymore.

2) I also wanna add some umph to my looks by adding tips, For the people that did locks, did you add color tips? If so did it prolong your hair too lock?

I have always been afraid of color, even before I loced. I just know too many things can go wrong. I even heard that using color can affect how your gray hair looks when you get older, even though I don't know if this is true.

3) Products: Since I decided to lock, Should I change my products
    -Aubrey Organics Shampoo
    - Giovanni Conditioner
    -Shea Butter conditioner
    -Shea Butter
    -Coconut oil
    I feel like I need to create spiritz

As others have said, you probably will have to lay off the shea butter and conditioner shouldn't be used until your hair has fully loced. You can probably use everything else and yes, you can create your own spritz if you want. I did.

4)What are the average prices in starting locks?
    It depends, since you are in NYC the prices will probably be outrageous unless you do your homework. You can probably just tell someone you want 2sts or however else you want to start them because if you tell folks you want to start locs, they usually up the price because they think folks don't know any better. So in other words, don't pay more than you would to just have that style done like you would regularly (braids, twists, coils, etc.)

5) What questions I should ask a locktian before I get them done.
    How much is it to maintain and what that maintainence session includes, how often you need to see them what products you should use, how often to wash, etc. The answers to those questions will let you know whether or not they know what they are talking about. I personally think paying for loc maintanence is a ripoff, but that's just me... I think it should be done as a luxury, or because you don't FEEL like doing it because it's pretty easy to do yourself. Folks are making a killing off of installing and maintaining locs because folks think it's a complicated thing to do.

Good luck!
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey buddy! I was gonna loc pretty soon but I ended up cutting my hair instead. Cut about 6+ inches off, so maybe in another year, I'll give it a go.

Have fun!
    Gather on the hill. Two hearts up in the sky. Celebrate your life. Say I love you. ~Badu

Twittah: @Snook_Deezy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cammiecam View Post
    Oh good! I'm so happy you're gonna see him he's sooo cute and really knows his stuff. He started mine with coils and I still remember leaving there all elated like WHOO HOO!!! I'm about to start locing my hair!

Congrats! Please let us know how it goes and take pics!
    did his attitude kinda rubbed you the wrong way?? and girl Im going to leave pics

Quote Originally Posted by psyann View Post
    When I first started my babes, I wasn't even checking for clarifying. I just wanted to keep the itchies at bay. But then I noticed they were really stiff, dull, and my scalp just wasn't getting clean. I bought the Suave Daily Clarifying, and my hair and scalp have been thanking me for it.

As for braids, my hair is not bumpy. Mine are actually turning round. I thought they'd be flat, because that's what everyone said. But I only have like 2 flat ones, and they are in the very back. For it to only have been almost 3 months, the braid pattern is fading. I have new pictures, so I'll be updating soon.

Whichever you choose, I hope you're happy with it, and it fits your needs.
    thanks for the look out, 'ing your locs so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by delleaux View Post
    I say before all that have a mindset that your hair is not going to conform always to your will and that this process is not fast. As time goes you will love your new locks wanting to know all there is to know about them. So much information out there you may feel overwhelmed. I say let your spirit of what you are feeling about locking be your guide. :-) Good luck and may blessings on your journey.
    aww thanks for these kind words, I deeply appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilShortRib View Post
    Congrats sis!!!

a)For the people that did interlocking, how come you chose that method
    b) For the people that chose palm rolling, how come you chose
    I started out with interlocking because folks told me I wouldn't have to tighten my roots as much. I switched over to twisting because the knots from interlocking slid down the shaft of my loc and because circumstances beyond my control forced me to maintain my own hair and I didn't want to interloc anymore.

2) I also wanna add some umph to my looks by adding tips, For the people that did locks, did you add color tips? If so did it prolong your hair too lock?
    I have always been afraid of color, even before I loced. I just know too many things can go wrong. I even heard that using color can affect how your gray hair looks when you get older, even though I don't know if this is true.

3) Products: Since I decided to lock, Should I change my products
    -Aubrey Organics Shampoo
    - Giovanni Conditioner
    -Shea Butter conditioner
    -Shea Butter
    -Coconut oil
    I feel like I need to create spiritz
    As others have said, you probably will have to lay off the shea butter and conditioner shouldn't be used until your hair has fully loced. You can probably use everything else and yes, you can create your own spritz if you want. I did.

4)What are the average prices in starting locks?
    It depends, since you are in NYC the prices will probably be outrageous unless you do your homework. You can probably just tell someone you want 2sts or however else you want to start them because if you tell folks you want to start locs, they usually up the price because they think folks don't know any better. So in other words, don't pay more than you would to just have that style done like you would regularly (braids, twists, coils, etc.)

5) What questions I should ask a locktian before I get them done.
    How much is it to maintain and what that maintainence session includes, how often you need to see them what products you should use, how often to wash, etc. The answers to those questions will let you know whether or not they know what they are talking about. I personally think paying for loc maintanence is a ripoff, but that's just me... I think it should be done as a luxury, or because you don't FEEL like doing it because it's pretty easy to do yourself. Folks are making a killing off of installing and maintaining locs because folks think it's a complicated thing to do.

Good luck!
    These are great advice, I ended up putting color, I couldn't fight the temptation any more. two strand twists unravels very quick in my hair.

Im soo excited, getting it done 2maro. I may get them retwisted every three weeks, depends on my new growth, Im pretty sure its easy to do them but to prevent the risk of looking "jacked up" I want them done professionally esp because of where I intern at. Also I met a guy here with locks and he said he first did them himself but eventually got them done cause of the time consuming.

uber excited once again
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make sure to take some pics of your new baby locs tomorrow!
    shortdub no longer, starting my loc'in journey for 2010 and beyond!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got pics up and the gorgeous Evesdilemma was one of the first to see it in person.....now I gotta upload these pics..

pics are coming soon!!! once i stop being lazy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! He's a bit.. um.. flamboyant, but that's just his personality. I go to him because really knows locs. Did he have 'tude with you? What did he say?

And yes can't wait to see pics!
    http://naturaltaketwo.wordpress.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the pics are here

Quote Originally Posted by cammiecam View Post
    LOL! He's a bit.. um.. flamboyant, but that's just his personality. I go to him because really knows locs. Did he have 'tude with you? What did he say?

And yes can't wait to see pics!
    his whole persona can come off as someone with a tude, i just keep most of my comments to myself lol but still get to know him since he's going to be my future hairdresser.

I'm trying to upload pic but they are entirely too big so here are the links

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...0092010155.jpg
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...0092010154.jpg
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...0092010166.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does take a little getting used to and I admit it did take me a coupla visits to warm up to him but eventually we were gossiping like old friends. Maybe he was having an off day?

Anyhoo, I think he's a cool guy but if you go back and aren't feeling him you can always go somewhere else to get your locs maintained. I know of a few other places in Bk and Manhattan and I'm sure the girls on the board do as well. He cool and all, but I'm a firm believer in feeling comfortable with the person who's gonna be handling your hair.

That being said, I LOVE your little coils! They are gonna be so cute when they puff out and start to loc! Did he give you any special instructions?
    http://naturaltaketwo.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast