Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I made the decision in getting locks!!! few questions

Hey everyone,

For the past 2 years, I've been deliberating getting locks. I was originally planned on getting them in 10/24/08 ( my moms birthday) but IMO, I felt like the reasoning was wrong- Just wanted my hair to grow. In due time I changed my mind and started to appreciate my hair texture now.

Well, I started an internship in New York for an entertainment company, started a new chapter in my life- I'm on a Journey to Stability and I am tired of doing my hair lol and I have been having Loc envy for the longest. and locks will symbolize that.

I know they are plently of Threads out there but i'm at my internship and I can't look for all of them .

Here are my questions..
    a)For the people that did interlocking, how come you chose that method
    b) For the people that chose palm rolling, how come you chose
    1) I want to get my hair started professionally done. Are there lockticians in New York (within the 5 boroughs)that does interlocking? If so, please provide me the info.

2) I also wanna add some umph to my looks by adding tips, For the people that did locks, did you add color tips? If so did it prolong your hair too lock?

3) Products: Since I decided to lock, Should I change my products
    -Aubrey Organics Shampoo
    - Giovanni Conditioner
    -Shea Butter conditioner
    -Shea Butter
    -Coconut oil
    I feel like I need to create spiritz

4)What are the average prices in starting locks?

5) What questions I should ask a locktian before I get them done.

Your help means alot to me,

btw, if there is someone thinking about doing locks I wouldn't mind a lock buddy
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say be careful with the shea products. Otherwise, if those work for your hair go head. I can't think of any specific questions to ask the lotitician, but make sure you write down whatever you think of or get off of here so that you don't forget. Average pricing on locks is going to vary for the area. If I remember right, telling the person you are getting locks they will charge more.

Happy locking.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canarsiechik88 View Post

Here are my questions..
    a)For the people that did interlocking, how come you chose that method
    b) For the people that chose palm rolling, how come you chose
    1) I want to get my hair started professionally done. Are there lockticians in New York (within the 5 boroughs)that does interlocking? If so, please provide me the info.

2) I also wanna add some umph to my looks by adding tips, For the people that did locks, did you add color tips? If so did it prolong your hair too lock?

3) Products: Since I decided to lock, Should I change my products
    -Aubrey Organics Shampoo
    - Giovanni Conditioner
    -Shea Butter conditioner
    -Shea Butter
    -Coconut oil
    I feel like I need to create spiritz

4)What are the average prices in starting locks?

5) What questions I should ask a locktian before I get them done.

Your help means alot to me,

btw, if there is someone thinking about doing locks I wouldn't mind a lock buddy
    I started with braids because I didn't want to have to deal with unravelling. 2ST's likely would have been good enough, but I wanted to be sure.

I colored my locs 42 days into the process. Now just over 22 months later, folks are always asking me if I got my tips dyed. I would say if you want colored tips, color your hair now, loc, and go. It'll take a while before it looks like your tips were dyed (as you'll have to wait for growth).

Your products don't have to change, although I would stay away from conditioning for the first little while. This may not be something that your locs actually need. You'll be able to decide this after a while (and your hair will let you know if it wants conditioning). I would also go really easy with the shea butter. I've read too many times that it can cause buildup and leave your locs looking dusty and ashy. The spritz is not always necessary but certainly does come in handy. For me it's water, avocado oil and Jasmine EO for those rare days when I don't wash or rinse.

Don't know what's available in NY for locktitians so I can't help you there. As for questions....that'll be up to you...what do you want to know that you can't find an answer to here?
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflylocs View Post
    I'd say be careful with the shea products. Otherwise, if those work for your hair go head. I can't think of any specific questions to ask the lotitician, but make sure you write down whatever you think of or get off of here so that you don't forget. Average pricing on locks is going to vary for the area. If I remember right, telling the person you are getting locks they will charge more.

Happy locking.
    Thanks sista,

How come I should becareful with Shea Products???

How come they would charge more if I said I am getting locks?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks sista,

How come I should becareful with Shea Products???

How come they would charge more if I said I am getting locks?
    Shea is thicker and can be harder to wash out, so can cause build up. Of course this doesn't happen to everyone that uses shea. So if you love it, just pay attention to those issues.

Personally, I think that stylists see locks and think goldmine. Lots of folks have issues with starting and maintaining them, so its not like going to get a quick style. Otherwise, there isn't really a reason this should happen considering that locks kinda mean repeat business.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey girl! Just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!!

Can't wait to see them!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post
    Hey girl! Just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!!

Can't wait to see them!!!
    Thanks girl!! Seeing you and PLENTY of others with their locs rocking them soo beautifully and me wanting a change in life definitely are the reasons why I'm going this route, I thought about Sisterlocking but those are too small for my comfort, cute butr small and I don't have the $19293828 to start them off

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks girl!! Seeing you and PLENTY of others with their locs rocking them soo beautifully and me wanting a change in life definitely are the reasons why I'm going this route, I thought about Sisterlocking but those are too small for my comfort, cute butr small and I don't have the $19293828 to start them off
    lol you are a mess! I feel you though. Have you thought about starting them off as braids and locing from there?

I use the interlocking method on my husband and son's hair because its easier in my opinion. I tried to twist with gel but got so frustrated because it always unraveled.

I'm not opposed to palm rolling in the future for him though when they get a bit longer.

You really don't need a whole bunch of products. We use Suave clarifying shampoo and then Yes to Cucumbers conditioner and that's it. I made a daily aloe vera spritz too but other than that, that's all!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a hairstylist in Brooklyn that started both sets of my locs in 2001 and again 6 months ago. He started my first set with palmrolls, the second with kinky twists. If you want his information let me know.
    http://naturaltaketwo.wordpress.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cammiecam View Post
    I went to a hairstylist in Brooklyn that started both sets of my locs in 2001 and again 6 months ago. He started my first set with palmrolls, the second with kinky twists. If you want his information let me know.
    pass that info RIGHT HERE!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast