Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What do you veterans think.........

Hey Ladies, I am a newbie so I have some questions. What is the diference between co-washing and just plan old shampooing? What is meant by sealant?

My hair seems to be doing just fine but I would like to share my routine with you guys. Feel free to give pointers where you guys see fit.

FYI...I have a tight zig zaging coil, naturally dry but absorbs moisture easily and retains it nicely

I shampoo once a week. I twist my hair every night with with either an olive oil water mix or shea butter for extra hold. I use Giovanni Smooth as silk deep moisture shampoo. The conditioner does not work for me so I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil conditioner. For a leave in conditioner I use Kinky Kurly Knot today.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

co-wash= no shampoo

sealant means to seal in the moisture.

If your routine is working for you then keep doing it.

Welcome to Nappturality
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if this is a sounds dumb but why would one co-wash? Is it just to make combing knots out easier or if your head is itching? Am I right in thinking my spray bottle with olive oil and water has the same affect? And thanks for the welcome. I visit this site several times a day.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

co-washing is a big huge...thing. most conditioners have cleansing properties in it and cleanses your hair very well. shampoo cleanses the hair by stripping it, whereas conditioner does not.

when i first started doing co-washings, i noticed a difference in my hair that i never predicted or had never seen before. i'd used lots of detangling shampoos and lots of different commercial and home made oil and water detangling concoctions, but using conditioner only, my hair was EXTREMELY different. so soft and supple and moisturized. i hardly recognized it. it's awesome especially for dry hair. some people get great results on their scalp if they use a exfoliator with the conditioner, like a sugar scrub or somesuch. my best combination has been using conditioner-only washes, using a filtered water system to rinse with, and using aloe vera juice and an oil in a spray bottle as a sealant. my hair was in love with me.

but shampoo is not all bad. there are some reasons that you might need to keep using shampoo. or some people use shampoo sporatically and do condition-only washes in between shampoos. for me, i went back to using shampoo sometimes because i battle with sebborheic dermititis on my scalp, hairline and forehead since i was a child, and sometimes i can only get a good moment of respite from it with a good medicated shampoo. (i wish they made medicated conditioners instead for this.) everyone is different, though, some people prefer to use shampoos.

if you do decide to try conditioner only washes, try to avoid ones with silicones in it. anything int he ingredients that ends in -cone is a silicone. the reason for this is because silicones build up in the hair and only shampoo can wash them out. so it's not all that great if you don't plan to use shampoo.

maybejd is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to expand a bit on sealant. Since moisture likes to evaporate from our hair BUT we like to keep moisture on/near our strands so that they feel nice, moisturized and supple, many people find that using something that slows the evaporation down helpful. Oils and some butters like shea have large molecules, while moisturizers have smaller ones. Thus, if you apply the sealant after your moisturizers, the large molecules sit on the strand and seal the smaller molecules inside and nearer the hair strand.

I don't know if there's any science to this part, but when I apply a sealant on top of my moisturizers for me, my hair goes from feeling physically wet or damp (that clammy feeling, hard to explain) to feeling soft and moisturized yet dry.
    Last edited by maybejd; 10-02-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: I hate typos...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people co-wash because for some shampoo is too harsh and drying, and, you know, hair and scalp still need to be cleaned

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this information was very helpful. Thx Ladies!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that co-washing was great for my hair, but horrible for my scalp. I could never get it clean! I went back to SLS-free shampoo.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma