Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone,

Wasn't sure how to title this topic. I have been natural since October 00 and started locs in Dec 00 and have been locd every since. Well on June 5, 2004 I cut off all my locs for many reasons but two main ones were b/c of a scalp issue (seborrhic dermititis) and b/c I wanted to learn how to handle my natural hair in its loose state. Well b/c of this I feel like a newbie to the natural and trying to understand my hair texture and its needs seems like it will be an interesting journey.

Here is my dilemma and/or question: My hair seems extremely dry and kinda crunchy and to be honest the texture seems different from what I remember in 00 (but it was much shorter than so that might make a difference) . Since I have Seborrhic dermititis I have started the no poo method but I still notice an extreme dryness. I am just wondering (for those who have been locd and then cut them) could my hair be going through or transition? My scalp is doing amazingly better in just a week but my hair just doesn't feel the same. It is soft while wet but hard when it dries. Could I have overconditioned b/c I have no pooed almost everyday this week and deep conditioned (overnight) one night. I have been a product junkie and I have spent much moolah on products since 060504 and I don't really feel a difference. I just wonder if I need to give it a few weeks for my hair to get used to not been in a locd state or what. I don't know if many of our fellow nappturals have experienced cutting thier locs after a long period of time (I was 3 1/2 years into my locs). I will list the products I have used: Pantene Hydrating Curls conditioner, DD tropical aloe conditioner and Shampoo. Suave Awapuhi conditioner and shampoo, Nutragena T- Gel shampoo (for scalp condition) Elasta Qp Mango Butter . Pantene intensive treatment deep conditioner. Nothing seems to make my hair less crunchy at the ends or feel soft when dry. My hair is also very dense and feels spongy. I think my type is nappy OS ( not really clear on typing but putting it just in case). I guess I just wonder if I have to go through different changes transitioning from locs similarily to those transitioning from relaxers? I just want my hair to feel softer and to shine (like many of the lovely napturals in the albums) and how I remember it in 00. Maybe I am just remembering incorrectly. If you made it through this long topic and have suggestions I would be very appreciative.
    E :rainfro

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there! Well I have never been loc'd but I think that your hair takes some time to get into a routine where you can get it just like you want it moisture and softness wise. I know that I had a similar problem when I first went natural too. I found myself using all kind of products to try and make my hair be soft and moisturized but lemme offer you some advice. First of all you may have hard water. If that is the case, nothing short of a shower filter or washing your hair with distilled water will help you. Secondly, you might be using TOO many products. If you think about it, when you apply a product and it absorbs into your hair, just how many more products can you apply before they just start to sit on the hair and not absorb into the hair? You must give your hair a chance to see what it likes. Try to use one to two products at a time. For example, use one conditioner consistently for a week for no poo. Then use 1 product after your no poo for a week. Keep this combo going for a week and the next week try a different combo and so on and so forth. After you have gone through your products you will be able to ascertain which ones your hair better responded to.

Just my $0.02 :-)
    Member since 2002
    Np will ALWAYS be home!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem after I did the BC a couple of months ago. I did exactly what natitwists did: Use a conditioner consistently for a week, to give it a chance to work.

This is kinda long, so I'll do a short version for those that don't feel like reading a lengthy reply. Also, if you are a product junkie who is trying not to buy more products, you may want to leave after the short version b/c I actually list products that worked for me in the long one.

Find a moisturizing conditioner.

and/or

Find a conditioner that rinses clean (doesn't sit on hair) or absorbs into the hair shaft. If you have that dull dry feeling later on, it's probably coating. (I know this happened to me w/ the V05 conditioners).

That's the end of the short version. Stop here if you don't want to read the rest.

I know everyone's hair works differetly w/ different products, but here's what worked for me. Have you ever tried Kenra's Moisturizing conditioner? It's very moisturizing. I love the way it makes my hair feel. I have some coils and frizz and I love the way it looks. Kenra's a little expensive, but I only use it once a week. (Does anyone know if they send free samples? Most people don't want to spend the $ without testing it first since it's a little on the pricy side, and I know I can't stand it when I actually spend the money, and get less than good results). The rest of the days I use a cheapie conditioner called Daily Renewal 5X Rehydrate. It doesn't coat my hair and make it dull and lifeless at the end of the day b/c it rinses clean. Daily Defense, Pantene Hydrating Curls, and Suave Awapuhi Conditioners didn't do anything for me personally, but that's just me. As far as a leave in, all I do is use a watered down Suave Conditioner (milk and honey, or the citrus smoothie, sometimes i mix both together and add water). I didn't think that would work, but it DID! I liked it better than the products that I bought that were sold as leave-ins. After that, I apply some Redken smooth down butter treat (just started using it) and I am set for the day. It's not time consuming at all. Oh, and I forgot to say that I also have a twa.

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say try one product at a time because you may only need one. Try one for at least 4-6 weeks to see how your hair will react. If it doesn't like that one then move on.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies..I am taking all of your advice and sticking with only one conditioner for at least the next week. I have also stopped conditioner washing everyday and I have noticed a bit more softness when my hair dries. I think I might have went overboard on buying the products :doh , but at least the majority were less than a dollar. I guess I need to stop trying to remember want I did in 2000 and also stop trying every product I read about on the albums and/or forum and slowly learn what my hair needs.

Thanks once again.
    E