Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video is not Ganguro, that video is making fun of Ganguro. There have been many theories about the origins of Ganguro but I actually think most of the typical ganguro seem to emulate the tanned, bleach blonde look of California than blacks. And ganguro is not even popular anymore.

If you want to look at a style that tries to emulate black people then try looking at Gyaru styles or more specifically B-gyaru.

They're you'll see cornrows, tans, big earrings, but you won't see exaggeration of facial features.

maybejd is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreeing with the above. I don't think it's offensive because it's coming from somewhere totally different. I've never seen the ganguro style as trying to emulate black culture at all. I wouldn't classify it as black-face. It's more like loud, ditzy, California girl-face. At least stereotypically.

Disclosure: I didn't watch the OP video, but I get the impression it's something more outlandish than the "typical" ganguro.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Exotica. I honestly don't think its about us. Its a stupid fashion statement. I would never even imagine someone associating that craziness with being black. From what I have seen and read of it I think the white girls in Southern California should be offended. It looks more like them than us.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I never know quite what to make of Ganguro - it's an odd [to me] thing to be into, but the Japanese have all sorts of groups that they go all out for in dress and make-up.

That first video was somewhat offensive, though - although I'd say it was to send up the Ganguro trend. The 'runner'/main one was just too exaggerated, a true caricature - to make a point?
    Dread since 2005

The Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron

My Fotki - pw: simiya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do get why some view the first video as offensive and...well, I can't say this is something I'd want to watch in mixed (ethnically) company.

However, I really don't see it as making fun of us, but rather making fun of a general trend towards trying to adopt an image or lifestyle without so much as a logical connection to or genuine understanding of what it really is. I think the girls' obvious ignorance and exaggerations are meant to be the real joke of the video, not black people. For example, look at the part with the girl running -- she's going slow as heck, but saying she's going to be the fastest in the 100 meter; the disparity between her perception and reality is what's supposed to be funny. I think it's the same with the other aspects of the video -- their blatant misconceptions (of self and of the culture they supposedly emulate) are the focus.

/shrug

krmlwd is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the second video that actually seems to be more about actually embracing our culture. Makes me think of the type of influence we have over other countries. The first one just left me scratchin my head like...Huh? I never heard of this before and it made me want do some more research on it. From the pics and descriptions I've read it seems to be an exaggeration of the sunny cali tanning type chick. Off topic but why are tanners obsessed with tanning? Especially if its real obvious where they're lookin like all kinds of shades of burnt oopma loompa.

I found a quote about from this website dealing more with the second vid http://forever-gyaru.forumotion.com/...aru-t1084.htm:

Hello! B-Gyarus are girls that try to look like R&B singers. B-Gyarus aren't trying to look like Black women, they are copying R&B artists who are predominately African American. The style is distinguishable only by a very dark tan(whereas Yamanba/Ganguro/Gonguro are mostly tan make-up or bronzer, the B-Gyaru tan is 100% permanent with upkeep of course) The hairstyles are mostly micro-braids, cornrows, and almost always extensions. I don't know any of the popular B-gyarus! sorry! but I Hope that this helped!

Does anyone else think the bolded is an oxymoron?

Just found another site that some of you may be interested in. It discusses the various styles and where they come from: http://minerva.union.edu/japan2008/StreetFashion.html
    Last edited by krmlwd; 10-13-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all quite interesting. I agree that I wouldn't want to watch that skit (spoof or not) in mixed race company. Maybe that means deep down inside I'm offended by it on some level.

sidenote: how do you embed videos?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that the statement "b gyarus aren't trying to look like black women" is half accurate. Certainly they are not trying to look like Black women in general, that is, they're not trying to emulate everyday Black women. (For example they aren't trying to emulate me with my twists and my t-shirt, shorts and flip flops on my way to class), but they are emulating an American hip-hop culture which is predominantly Black, and yes emulating the Black women in that genre. B gyaru is not just the hair and dark skin, you have to have the right outfit as well. Additionally b-gyaru also includes reggae and dancehall (as you can see from the video I posted) and that definitely is dominated by blacks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sunnysmile - I didn't see any problems. Not offended at all, they look like hip teens or 20's getting their groove on at the club. Hip-Hop {Af. Amer. music in general} has influenced the world!!! Sometimes we don't see it and/or don't know it. There are asian rappers/raeggae artists, even rappers from Israel both Jewish and Muslim.
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kurliehead View Post
    IA with AK. And that video in the OP was offensive. The big nose, big red lips, huge nose ring, plate lip, drums and spears were not celebrating darker skin.
    I agree with the op vid being offensive. I was referring to other stuff I've seen on the web.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast