Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm confused - Ganguro

So I know that Ganguro is an expression of individuality and a form of rebellion against traditional Japanese society and for some Japanese black-face, but what exactly is this?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG I kid you not I was just looking at stuff about this like an hour ago! lol I don't get it but after looking at vids on Youtube and searching the net I'm not offended by all of it. These girls are actually celebrating dark skin. Not just honey brown like Beyonce and Halle but these girls and some guys are embracing darker tones then most black people will. At first I was "wow insulting" but after having a better understanding of what they are "attempting" to do I say power to them maybe it will rub off on the rest of the world (maybe not). I saw some that looked good and then really bad.

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Japanese culture favours light skin and is generally conservative this goes against that by having the people darken their faces and do other things that go against the "norm"...the more outrageous the better.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm this is just...interesting. Most of the stuff I saw has them looking like this video

They have very tanned skin, loud hair, those contacts that give you the doe eyed look and that white eye and lip makeup. For the most part they look like White people so is the Blackface in the above video supposed to be the extreme of this? I hope they're using spray tan or lotion or something else topical because I do see some skin cancer (from the tanning) and eye problems (from the contacts) in their future.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the heck was that?!!! That doesn't look like any Ganguro I've seen!

*dies*

But seriously, I always thought the Ganguro look was an extreme form of the 'California Girl' look. You know, super tanned skin to the point of it being orange, bleached hair, and light frosty make up in pastel colors.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    Hmmm this is just...interesting. Most of the stuff I saw has them looking like this video

They have very tanned skin, loud hair, those contacts that give you the doe eyed look and that white eye and lip makeup. For the most part they look like White people so is the Blackface in the above video supposed to be the extreme of this? I hope they're using spray tan or lotion or something else topical because I do see some skin cancer (from the tanning) and eye problems (from the contacts) in their future.

I THINK I SAW SNOOKI IN THERE SOMEWHERE!!!!
    http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^LOL

Ok so after more reading (and going through some older NP threads) I see that the video in the OP could be them paying homage to Black people, hip hop culture, or something. I found some other stuff about it being about striking back at some things they don't like in their own culture. Other folks say they are just copying some anime characters. In either case I don't see why the extreme makeup is necessary, especially in the first video. Maybe I just don't get it, lol. I'm not really offended but I'm not at all flattered, pleased or liking it. I guess I'm just in the middle thinking WTF? LOL
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I *wiki* the word: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always heard the Ganguro were copying the female anime character look. Which makes sense to me but the video in the OP seems to be making fun of the Ganguro by insinuating that they want to be black? Atleast that's the way it came off to me... because the one character makes a comment like “why was I born Japanese? I wish I was born into the coolest race”. And something else she says about wearing the costume make up to school everyday to be cool or something.
    Last edited by Siddhani; 10-13-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IA with AK. And that video in the OP was offensive. The big nose, big red lips, huge nose ring, plate lip, drums and spears were not celebrating darker skin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast