Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grown men with braids

I was trying to find a thread where a woman on here said men with braids = big no no. Especially box braids. But I can't find it dang it!

I went to a black career seminar where a woman (a hiring manager) addressed a man (probably in his 30s or late 20s) about his braids (he asked what could he do regarding work, etc) and she was honest with him about the stigma of grown men with braids. She never told him to cut his hair, she was giving honest feedback. He got a bit defensive about it but I guess appreciated her honesty.

I was curious and came across this article: http://blackhoney.net/grown-***-men-...in-their-hair/

I'm just wondering about all the issues that natural haired ladies have faced with acceptance from peers, co-workers, SOs, family, etc.

But if a man wanted to wear his natural hair the way he wanted to it's completely different and unacceptable (unless you have locs or a short cut)

So braids on men yay or nay? Do you agree with the article that men with braids are shiftless, immature, vain, effeminate, etc?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://brownsista.com/grown-men-wearing-braids/

Sorry I guess because the other link had azz in it it didn't work. So the above should work.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't particularly like braids on men. I find it feminizing. For business, I think a close-cropped cut is best. Locks are nice, but truthfully may make it harder to get hired in some fields. I don't agree with that practice, but it's a reality.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braids don't bother me. Depending.

AND, how can you knock braids but get upset when there's some sort of discrimination against a person with locs? A man should not be limited to locs if he wants to keep his hair long.

I'm not knocking opinions of braids, but how can you say, locs are professional, afros, twist outs, cowrie shells and all kinds of other natural styles are ok or professional? o_O
    Last edited by BeautifulFlow; 10-15-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Sessy dread!;)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I am reading I don't think anyone believes that men should not where there hair natural. I for one think men should definitely be natural. The think the issue is whether or not they should have natural hair that is long enough to cornrow, loc, etc. I for one do not at all like to see men with long hair especially cornrows. That goes for men of all races and ethnicities not just black men. I sometimes give a pass to men with locs if it looks neat and professional.

I also don't see how you can equate a woman being natural vs. permed with a man having long or short natural hair. Apples and oranges for sure.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess its up to me to defend the beautiful black men against this stupid stereotypical bullsh!t what a f*cking shame. and im going to be mean n judgmental, because most of yall r doing that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lewislover View Post
    I know i should keep my opinion tomyself on this...but i had to ask...jeramiahsmommy ...how long is your husbands hair? because i cant imagine a man with a braidout...i have my hair in a braidout now and the reason i love it is because its so girly and femenine... It isnt me trying to be offensive but i just cant see it :S

I guess when it comes to hair like all races its different for a man and a woman the same way girls wear skirts and dresses but men don't. If i saw a white guy with a highlighted blonde bob with layers (think nicole richie, paris hilton) then i would be like *whatt??* too... and chances are he'd have a problem getting a job ...the same way as me seeing a guy with braids or some other style viewed as feminine and them getting a job..

But again thats just my opinion (not tryna be offensive)
    first of all...yes u should. and i white man with blonde highlights is NOT THE SAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!! chances are the white guy would still get the job. so where do u get that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by jeramiahsmommy View Post
    no offense, but you sound JUST like the people that look down upon us for the way we wear our hair.... why is it wrong for men to be natural, as opposed to all of us who post and lurk on this website? cornrows, or whatever type of braids you are referring to is just another protective style, isnt it? my husband has braids (maybe my opinion is biased; so what.), and he also wears his hair in braidouts, twists, ponytails, puffs....

more and more natural men and women are being accepted by the work-world.... because the world in general is coming to accept our hair for what it is.... arent they? it just seems odd to come on here and see someone make a post like this... i had to say something... "I think a close-cropped cut is best".... someone may say in reference to your hair, "i think a relaxed straight look is best, and it will make it easier for you to get a job".... come on.... lets think about it a little...
    THANK YOU!! finally someone with common sense

are most of you ppl serious!! dreads, in my oh so humble opinion *sarcasm* is nothing more that braids without a pattern. as a matter of fact braids is nothing more than 3 strands of hair intertwined withing eachohter SO HOW DOES THAT MAKE A MAN IMMATURE!!??

u know hat you guys
    since men with braids are immature and unable to get a job (because they are unprofessional?) and are feminine, then black women with natural hair are unprofessional, militant and ugly. NOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT!!. this rant is for the ppl on this board who come up with BS stereotypes about men with braids or box braids. all im saying is....: i know yall have your preferences.....

BUT STOP BEING HYPOCRITES!!

this rant is in support of the men who like rocking braids but are afraid to because of ignorant women.
    keep doing watchu do, you look great in braids. stay beautiful

http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen1 View Post
    i guess its up to me to defend the beautiful black men against this stupid stereotypical bullsh!t what a f*cking shame. and im going to be mean n judgmental, because most of yall r doing that right now.

first of all...yes u should. and i white man with blonde highlights is NOT THE SAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!! chances are the white guy would still get the job. so where do u get that logic.

THANK YOU!! finally someone with common sense

are most of you ppl serious!! dreads, in my oh so humble opinion *sarcasm* is nothing more that braids without a pattern. as a matter of fact braids is nothing more than 3 strands of hair intertwined withing eachohter SO HOW DOES THAT MAKE A MAN IMMATURE!!??

u know hat you guys
    since men with braids are immature and unable to get a job (because they are unprofessional?) and are feminine, then black women with natural hair are unprofessional, militant and ugly. NOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT!!. this rant is for the ppl on this board who come up with BS stereotypes about men with braids or box braids. all im saying is....: i know yall have your preferences.....

BUT STOP BEING HYPOCRITES!!

this rant is in support of the men who like rocking braids but are afraid to because of ignorant women.
    keep doing watchu do, you look great in braids. stay beautiful

uhh in one comment on my thread your supporting me in being a strong black women and being beautiful and believing in myself ...the next your in a differnet thread telling me to keep my opinion to myself

and your calling us hypocrites?? uhhhhhh :\

and i honestly think it would also be hard for a man of ANY race with long hair to get a job than a man with short cut hair. And it is a double standard the same way a man arent really supposed to wear dresses and skirtss...
    I dont think anyone can really compare short hair to a woman putting heavy dangerous chemicals in her hair...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lewislover View Post
    uhh in one comment on my thread your supporting me in being a strong black women and being beautiful and believing in myself ...the next your in a differnet thread telling me to keep my opinion to myself

and your calling us hypocrites?? uhhhhhh :\

and i honestly think it would also be hard for a man of ANY race with long hair to get a job than a man with short cut hair. And it is a double standard the same way a man arent really supposed to wear dresses and skirtss...
    I dont think anyone can really compare short hair to a woman putting heavy dangerous chemicals in her hair...
    You were right on with your analogy (bob cut: braid out) There are certain things that society expects men to do and be, there are other things it expects of women. Again, if anyone disagrees with those notions, swell! But if you want to start a real revolution you have to address the real roots of the issue. The root here isn't race. It's gender standards and stereotypes. There's a reason you don't see many men walking around with long flowing locks (and I don't mean dreadlocks). It is not the same reason that you don't see many black women walking around with their natural texture though. If you want to stand for a cause then do it on it's own terms! If it's legit, it won't need to leech off another cause's credibility.

This is reminding me of the ~gay is the new black~ party line. Blacks love gays:natural women love long haired men. Wtf?
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as long as the brothas hair is clean and kept it shouldn't matter.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyVonn View Post
    Just as long as the brothas hair is clean and kept it shouldn't matter.

Like Kathleen said "oh so eloquently" ; how are we not seeing the difference?

No one ever said (at least I didn't) that we are talking about permed women vs men with long hair...we're just talking about natural period. Why is it that a man needs to have locs or a ceasar - no in-between?

It's EXTREMELY judgemental to lump them in with Tyrone and 'nem on the block (yep - I have a brother named Tyrone with twists right now actually; he decided to take a break from cornrows...but he has a job with benefits and BSL hair) when we wouldn't want anyone to judge us automatically because we choose to wear our hair how we want it.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast