Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Naturals who have ever straightened your hair since being natural....

Is your straightened, natural hair really thicker/fuller than it was while relaxed? I've never straightened my hair while natural, but as my hair gets longer, I wonder if the thickness of my hair just an illusion of my kinks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how kosher this topic is since we don't talk about straightening.... but I have noticed by looking at some pictures of naturals who straighten that their hair is really thick, thicker than someone else who relaxes.

I know my thickness is not an optical illusion because the relaxer caused my hair to shed so bad and break off so bad that it was nowhere near as full as it is without the chemicals....
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your natural hair is thick, then the thickness is real...since it's your natural hair.

The hair in the straightened state is not real. Whatever perception of thickness is manipulated.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say yes. My relaxed hair was always full....in the beginning! ;-)

After 3-6 months, my hair would shed and thin out. It was to the point that I thought rocking a short relaxed style would be best because when my hair started falling, it wouldn't take long to regrow a short style! LOL...

I've never straightened my hair since being natural this time around, but I'm quite sure my hair would be plush seeing as how I retaining more hair and not experiencing the typical relaxer reaction I always have had... ;-)
    Beginning YEAR 3 of this natural hair journey as of October 16th, 2010. Woohooo!!! Bring IT!!!

My Fotki

My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I barely remember my relaxed hair... wooot woot! But my hair has always been thick because my head is huge and I have a crap ton of hair. Relaxing didn't really cause noticeable thinning (hard to believe considering how much hair would come out of my head after getting one). My hair still looked like Rudy from the Cosby Show unless it was pressed within an inch of it's life. THEN it would no longer look thick.

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalKayla View Post
    Is your straightened, natural hair really thicker/fuller than it was while relaxed? I've never straightened my hair while natural, but as my hair gets longer, I wonder if the thickness of my hair just an illusion of my kinks.

Just like ms.gg said, straightening here isn't really what this board is about, ya know? You can always check out www.lhcf.com. That spot doesn't have the same mission as np, and you might be able to get more info on your topic.....
    With Christ,obediance(please help me Holy Spirit),persistance,patience and His grace, all things are possible!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a natural friend who keeps her hair straightened. She's been doing this for years. It's very thin & falling out in sections. I've learned from her example to stay away from heat.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic_Blue View Post
    I barely remember my relaxed hair... wooot woot! .
    Me too! And when I look at pictures of me with straight hair, I look so odd, so unnatural and I love it. My hair has always super thin because of the heat that I put on it. That's why I will probably never use any kind of heat. I still kind of feel like I am missing out on the extra thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by ajargon View Post
    Just like ms.gg said, straightening here isn't really what this board is about, ya know? You can always check out www.lhcf.com. That spot doesn't have the same mission as np, and you might be able to get more info on your topic.....
    My question isn't about straightening, it's about the difference of density of hair while relaxed and natural, which is best compared when the hair is in similar states (straightened/flattened).
    I feel so FREE being naturally ME!
    Last relaxer: Sept. 2, 2007
    100% natural: Feb. 2009
    Current length: APL
    Hair type: 4b

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely thicker. My hair is so much healthier after being natural. Although straightening is not accepted on this board what I got out of it was how healthy my hair was compared to my relaxed days. Now it gives me all the more reason not to straighten it! (Haven't since 2 years ago).

cg1 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dont think you need to straighten your hair to compare the density. Your eyes dont lie, even your hair feels thicker, it is because it is thicker. I personally dont think risking heat damage to see how thick your hair looks is a good idea.
    Just BC'd 10/13/2010
    Loving my TWA!! Loving Nappturality!!
    For more about my Napptural journey, check out my blog!

“Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.”
    http://heavensmedicine.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast