Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The last defense of permed ppl everywhere...

Has anyone else heard this? About three times in the past two days relaxed people have told me natural doesn't automatically mean healthy. I concur, but they said it in such hostile ways. The first time I walked in on my roomate and her friends doing weave caps. I've never seen this done so I sat down to watch. I questioned them about the difference between weave caps and wigs, etc. Meanwhile my roomie informs them I'm natural under my hat. She goes on to say my hair was cool because it "doesn't cut you like some ppl's" and it was soft and healthy, unlike some naps whose hair was dried out and damaged. I was like but sometimes that is true, so I let it slide. But the next day a heat loving friend got a fresh press and was telling me getting it pressed or leaving it weaved 9/10s of the year was better than being fully natural and letting it be damaged. I said "huh"? What about being natural and taking care of it? I thought we still had that option.
    Third time, I was out with a friend and we saw a lady with literally more ponytail holder than ponytail and I was floored. I'm not a recruiter but some ppl need to stop with the chemicals! Anyways, my friend says "oh, naturals are often damaged too". My response was firstly the proportion is way different. Most relaxed women have some damage because the entire process is damaging, same with continual heat. Whereas damage from neglect can occur but not nearly as quickly or severely as using caustic chemicals to straighten hair.
    They all said "I'm tired of people thinking natural= healthy". What's up with that?
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by au napptural View Post
    They all said "I'm tired of people thinking natural= healthy". What's up with that?
    hose new corn syrup commercials that throw cane sugar under the bus and are like yeah we're unhealthy and bad for your body, but guess what so is cane sugar remind me of when i hear permies talk about how natural hair can be as unhealthy as relaxed hair.

anyway yeah natural doesn't automatically equal healthy. i've seen people with dry damaged broken natural hair just as i've seen people with dry damaged relaxed hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are just being defensive. Your hair is a "conviction" for them.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree having natural hair dosent automatically means it healthy. u can have unhealthy natural and unhealthy relax hair.i have seen badly damagae natural hair just like i seen badly damage relaxed hair. what determine health of hair is how u take care of it inside and out.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by au napptural View Post
    Tell them to think of it like tanning..

Our natural skin is inherently healthier than tanning.. but our natural skin can be damaged or worse than tanning.. it does not make tanning any better.. it means that you are starting off with the best possible health by loving and nurturing what exists before you alter it into a facade..

Many people use red herrings so that they do not have to deal with the awful reality of their choices or thinking..

It's the "But they are too" or "they do it too" kiddie response syndrome...
    "Life is an unfoldment, and the further we travel the more truth we can comprehend. To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those that lie beyond." ~ Hypatia

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a defense mechanism. Pure and simple. I mean they see you with a healthy head of natural hair and that's threatening.

Sure there are naturals with unhealthy heads of hair but it's apples and oranges. It's probably not chemical damage or heat damage, unless they're transitioning. It's dry or split ends or whatever. That is nothing compared to chemical burns or heat damage. (Yes, I've seen beautifully coiffured heads of chemically straightened hair it's just the time and money it takes to keep that up? No thanks.)

In most cases, I'd say they just don't want to deal head-on with the choices they're making and the time and money they're sinking into their hair.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen some people with long very healthy looking relaxed hair. To be honest if I was one of them then I probably would still be relaxed. Sad but true.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've come across a natural but damaged head yet. I think the fact that natural afro hair doesn't have the typical shine of straight hair is what's throwing them off. Maybe this latest defense is what's being spread by some perm guru on youtube or on other perm friendly forums.

And I like Khalliqua's tanning analogy.
    Last edited by Karibana; 10-24-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightnochaser View Post
    They are just being defensive. Your hair is a "conviction" for them.
    This. The first think they think is that we're judging them and that we're trying to make a statement about relaxers. Firstly, I'm very engrossed in my hair. I don't have time to be worried about anyone's chemically induced hair. Also, as a fully natural who loves being one, I have no interest in a relaxer-period; not even enough to try and make a statement about it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I agree with them that natural hair is not automatically healthy, but I think they were being rude in a way that makes them seem like they had some underlying guilt for seeing you out and about with your natural hair. To me, it's kinda like the time I had folks turn their nose up at me because I chose Splenda over sugar, or when I told some people that I liked getting my carbs from raw fruits and veggies as opposed to grains and stuff with white flour! They said some junk, gave me the side-eye , , all kinds of looks I'm assuming because I inadvertently made them feel inferior about not eating like I do. HTH
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
    -- Issac Asimov

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast