murakan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always marvel at how two people not related can look so alike..I think that about Alicia Keys and Scarlett Johansson..seriously look at them together they look so alike!

the Russian guy looks like my father, although my father is few shades darker..people always think hes ethiopian but now I can tease him about being Russian too!! lol

my father is black Jamaican so hows that for genes being a reliable indicator of 'race'..
    Black man know yourself...dont forget your past ~ Fela Kuti

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GimDofi View Post
    Well...

Thanks to all who posted...
    At this point you all will be discussing amongst yourselves as my question was answered like 3 days ago.
    That's how NP is.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    This is not that complicated.

The people of east Africa have been "mixing" for centuries. What you have in the Horn (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia) is the result of sub-Saharan blacks, "Arabs", and others all getting busy. Similarly, in Madagascar and some of the islands off the eastern coast, you have people who come in all kinds of shades and hair textures and it's all due to centuries of different folks getting busy.

I once read a biography of a woman who grew up in a harem somewhere in north Africa and she said that when WWII happened they were amazed that the US Army went to such lengths to keep black and white soldiers separated. She said that it was common knowledge that the peoples of north Africa were a complete and total blend of European and sub-Saharan African.

One of our foreign visitors this year is from east Africa. He is as dark as me (think dark chocolate) and his hair is wavy-straight. He's an optically black man with straight hair.
    i was just browzing through and came across this post sorry but i have to disagree with you. east of the orn of africa is not mixed. We are mostly just sub saharan african with very few genes outside of that. these hair textures you talk of are not the result of mixing with arabs, please this is incorrect info. I know this cuz i am from djbouti and can trae my lineage back 1500 years with no other blood but east african, that i can assure you. This info was created by some people who want to discredit the idea that blacks can have different hair types and features and so on. thank you. i hope i didnt come across as rude.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    This is not that complicated.

The people of east Africa have been "mixing" for centuries. What you have in the Horn (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia) is the result of sub-Saharan blacks, "Arabs", and others all getting busy. Similarly, in Madagascar and some of the islands off the eastern coast, you have people who come in all kinds of shades and hair textures and it's all due to centuries of different folks getting busy.

I once read a biography of a woman who grew up in a harem somewhere in north Africa and she said that when WWII happened they were amazed that the US Army went to such lengths to keep black and white soldiers separated. She said that it was common knowledge that the peoples of north Africa were a complete and total blend of European and sub-Saharan African.

One of our foreign visitors this year is from east Africa. He is as dark as me (think dark chocolate) and his hair is wavy-straight. He's an optically black man with straight hair.
    One poster disagreed with this, but I have to agree with LBellatrix. Some are MIXED mostly with Arab blood. Iīm also from East Afrika, and every body knows thereīs a lot of Arab blood among many East Afrikans.
    Some who obviously have Arab blood, refuse that they are mixed, while others view themselves as different or superior from the Afrikans who are not mixed. Thereīs some in particular who will remain unnamed, and who are extremely proud of the Arab blood and have almost NEVER been known to intermarry with any other than their own kind.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Locīd Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread...thanks for the backup, uzuri...

osob19, if you read past my comment, you'll see that we came to the conclusion that race is BS, DNA mutates, everybody's mixed, and the OP's intent is not very clear.

Seriously though: I stand by my original statement. And that one guy I mentioned who was from Djibouti is just one of MANY East Africans I've met in my life. I know an Eritrean woman who has medium-brown skin and long relaxed hair that I'm pretty sure is as nappy as mine (based on her edges at least). Her sons (by an Eritrean man who has dark skin and wavy hair) are dark-skinned and have mostly 4a hair.

There's a lot more diversity in coastal cultures in that part of the world as a general rule (someone else mentioned Melanesia and the islands south of India) because back in the day folks got into boats and went "visiting" across the Indian Ocean, the Arabian Sea, etc.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a show a few weeks ago and they did DNA testing on some celebs. Eva langoria was one of them. She was surprised to find out she was mostly Asian, then black then europian. I wish I could remember the name of that show.

Anyway people really need to get out more. My son's fathers is white red hair freckles and had( he's bald now ) the nappiest head of hair. Just like I know some blacks with naturally Bone straight hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found the show I was talking about

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/facesofamerica/

kell is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are Egyptans and Ethopians that have straight hair. Just because it is not the majority doesn't mean it is not there.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789